Srinath omitted from ICC panel of referees for Super Eights

Srinath omitted from ICC panel of referees for Super Eights March 27, 2007 16:18 IST Former Indian spearhead Javagal Srinath was on Tuesday left out of the four-man ICC panel of match referees which will officiate in the Super Eight stage of the ongoing cricket World Cup. Srinath refereed preliminary stage matches but was not included for the Super Eight stage. The ICC also announced the names of nine umpires who would be standing in the next stage. Brent Bowden was the only one to be left out from the umpires' group which stood in the first round matches. The first match in the Super Eight stage takes place today between hosts the West Indies and defending champions Australia in Antigua. The semi-finals will be held in Jamaica on April 24 and St Lucia on April 25 with the final taking place in Barbados on April 28. Appointments for those last three matches will be made in due course. Umpires: Mark Benson, Billy Bowden, Steve Bucknor, Aleem Dar, Billy Doctrove, Daryl Harper, Rudi Koertzen, Asad Rauf and Simon Taufel. Match Referees: Chris Broad, Jeff Crowe, Ranjan Madugalle and Mike Procter.

Re: Srinath omitted from ICC panel of referees for Super Eights

C'mon guys. Let's be realistic as well. He is the new kid in the block' date=' there are only 4 slots, obviously he is not going to make it.[/quote'] Yup. Look at who all made it : Broad, Crowe, Madugalle and Procter. ALL of whom have been match refs. long before Srinath. Srinath and us Indians should just be happy enough that a near-total newbie ref. like Srinath got a chance to refree at all in the primier cricketing tournament in the world. But such reasoning is beyond the grasp of those too blinded by national colors.

Re: Srinath omitted from ICC panel of referees for Super Eights If it were Pigeon or White lightning, i dont think the outcome would've been any different. But even if it were, i'd understand - these two are/were far far better bowlers than Sri could ever dream of becomming. So it wouldnt bother me if Pidge or Donald got 'prefferential treatment' over Sri. Just like how Tendulkar getting special treatment over Thorpe or Astle wouldnt bother anybody either.

If it were Pigeon or White lightning, i dont think the outcome would've been any different. But even if it were, i'd understand - these two are/were far far better bowlers than Sri could ever dream of becomming. So it wouldnt bother me if Pidge or Donald got 'prefferential treatment' over Sri. Just like how Tendulkar getting special treatment over Thorpe or Astle wouldnt bother anybody either.
Now, that is absurd and you know it. If two newbie match refs of similar experience are to be looked at, they should be judged on their (newfound) refereeing skills and not on their bowling or batting skills.

If it were Pigeon or White lightning, i dont think the outcome would've been any different. But even if it were, i'd understand - these two are/were far far better bowlers than Sri could ever dream of becomming. So it wouldnt bother me if Pidge or Donald got 'prefferential treatment' over Sri. Just like how Tendulkar getting special treatment over Thorpe or Astle wouldnt bother anybody either.
Wow as absurd as an argument can be.

Now, that is absurd and you know it. If two newbie match refs of similar experience are to be looked at, they should be judged on their (newfound) refereeing skills and not on their bowling or batting skills.
I am saying that is what should happen and will probably happen. However, in the REAL world, reputations count. A Pete Sampras ent gonna get same treatment as you if both of you wanted to be tennis coaches. If Pele wanted to try his hand coaching the national team, he'd stand a zillion times better chance than you or me- despite the fact that all of us have zero coaching experience. So its not impossible that reputation might figure in the fray as well.

I am saying that is what should happen and will probably happen. However, in the REAL world, reputations count. A Pete Sampras ent gonna get same treatment as you if both of you wanted to be tennis coaches. If Pele wanted to try his hand coaching the national team, he'd stand a zillion times better chance than you or me- despite the fact that all of us have zero coaching experience. So its not impossible that reputation might figure in the fray as well.
More absurdity. You didn't compare McGrath with an average Indian fan earlier, did you? And you very well know that coaching is more related to playing the game than is refereeing. Anyways, enough of this bakwaas. :hmph:

Re: Srinath omitted from ICC panel of referees for Super Eights It was a known fact Srinath was only going to be referee for the priliminary round, no surprises for me atleast. BTW I have sent an email to Sri to relinquish the referee job and help the hapless Indian team. Sri can do fantastic work with the bowlers. a lot of the bowles are still pretty raw. I just hope Srinath takes up a bowling coach job and hopefully BCCI will call him up for greater cause.