Biggest achivement of my life

Desi Cartman

How does one come to the conclusion that one has depression? Is it just these death fantasies or anything else? Like, when would one visit a shrink? When they have been sad for no reason for some time? How did you diagnose your condition as depression?

How does one come to the conclusion that one has depression? Is it just these death fantasies or anything else? Like, when would one visit a shrink? When they have been sad for no reason for some time? How did you diagnose your condition as depression?
* Considerable loss of interest in enjoyable activities. * Constant sadness, anxiety or blues all the time. * Sleeping problems, sufferer usually exhibits Insomnia disorder. Insomnia causes difficulty to get off to sleep, early morning wake ups, less sleep than normal, disrupted sleep. In some cases symptoms of hypomania are also exhibited by the patients. Hypomania causes too much sleep than the normal sleep; sufferer finds it difficult to get out of the bed. * Sufferer might exhibit considerable amount of weight gain or weight loss due to poor appetite. * Loss of energy or fatigue is quite common symptom in acute depression. * Persistent feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and guilt disturb the sufferer all the time. * Restlessness or tiredness without any reason. * Sufferers find it difficult to concentrate in all sorts of things associated with them, as a result of which they find it extremely difficult to make decisions. * Socially inactive behavior. * Suicidal thoughts or suicidal attempts are quite common in acute depression. * Physical symptoms such as headache and pain in the stomach areas are also quite common. * Interest in sexual intercourse decreases to quite a large extent. These are the most common symptoms of acute depression. You may not notice all the symptoms in sufferers as the symptoms vary from person to person. If you notice majority of these symptoms in an individual, do ask him or her to seek medical attention. Do not ignore acute depression; if you left it untreated you might be victimized with the adverse affects of acute depression.

Desi, so it seems you were depressed at a sub-conscious level aka missing your family My depression was the last time I went to India - don't ask me what but the smell, the surrounding was like weird ( almost like I was guilty of things )..moment I came back to Canada, I was fine I was prescribed some pills, I took it for like 3 days but you know what - it was like just the though of taking the pills made me fine, I took as aspirin by accident and I felt fine..so it kinda hurt me like a bindaas person like me has depression..so I fought it Did u goto a regular doc or psch? congrats as depression is nothing but a silent killer
Nahi Rajiv, most depressions are due to chemical imbalance in the brain. The anti-depressants stimulate some cells and that makes a person cheer up. Some depressions are caused by a major event in life as well. Visiting India is always tough for me , Im not used to India. Now I get irritated at traffic, old men staring at 14 year olds , people taking pride in their 16 years old driving big cars and wasting money. I hate to see poor people suffer just because they were born in a poor family. For u maybe it was just anxiety/panic attack and if ur mood is fine now and u dont have any of the symptoms from holy's post then its all good. I guess u were just stressed

try this quiz .. also read about mental illness on webmd.com Quiz

Let me see where I stand-

* Constant sadness, anxiety or blues all the time.
No but I do think that ultimately life is meaningless and everything that we do in our life is meaningless.
* Sleeping problems, sufferer usually exhibits Insomnia disorder. Insomnia causes difficulty to get off to sleep, early morning wake ups, less sleep than normal, disrupted sleep. In some cases symptoms of hypomania are also exhibited by the patients. Hypomania causes too much sleep than the normal sleep; sufferer finds it difficult to get out of the bed.
I keep odd hours but sleep like a bear.
* Sufferer might exhibit considerable amount of weight gain or weight loss due to poor appetite.
6 paky here, I mean 6 pack.
* Loss of energy or fatigue is quite common symptom in acute depression.
I do feel lazy always.
* Persistent feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and guilt disturb the sufferer all the time.
None of the above. Ok bit of guilt.
* Restlessness or tiredness without any reason.
Lazy I am.
* Sufferers find it difficult to concentrate in all sorts of things associated with them, as a result of which they find it extremely difficult to make decisions.
No comment
* Socially inactive behavior.
By choice in my case. Is that bad aswell?
* Suicidal thoughts or suicidal attempts are quite common in acute depression.
Suicidal fantasy more like but wil never do it unless i was severely ill or disabled.
* Physical symptoms such as headache and pain in the stomach areas are also quite common.
Nope
* Interest in sexual intercourse decreases to quite a large extent.
Rabbit here. What is the conclusion then doctor Holysmoke?

Guest Hiten.

Congrats desi bhai. Tumhe itni achi biwi mili hain aur saala tum apni tharak pana nahin chodhte :((. Mamu, ab toh sudhar ja :P

paanwala' date=' life is not meaningless..we made it have a meaning[/quote'] actually thats the biggest question every sane person tries to find an answer for .. but when one is depressed this question becomes far more important. My take is "ok Im here .. I have 2 options 1. to think about why am i here and mess up my life 2. Since Im here anyway why not enjoy the experience and try to have fun" Budhha answered it best "IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER" :hail:

Then the problem is not with your brain but with your browser ..
:two_thumbs_up: Nice one there desi bhai. Chachu says I should give you free pan.
paanwala, life is not meaningless..we made it have a meaning
Rajiv ultimately it is meaningless. We all try to give it meaning by using various life wrappers like religion, materialism, sex, drugs, family, sports etc etc but they are all just wrappers. When you get down to the bones of it everything fades away and becomes dust. For example I work my butt off in fitness place everyday to maintain my body but everyday while at the gym I think "what for", feel like a hamster on wheel. Ultimately the effort will be wasted as age will take a toll regardlesss. Yes I am better off than if I was not exercising but....

Rajiv ultimately it is meaningless. We all try to give it meaning by using various life wrappers like religion, materialism, sex, drugs, family, sports etc etc but they are all just wrappers. When you get down to the bones of it everything fades away and becomes dust. For example I work my butt off in fitness place everyday to maintain my body but everyday while at the gym I think "what for", feel like a hamster on wheel. Ultimately the effort will be wasted as age will take a toll regardlesss. Yes I am better off than if I was not exercising but....
Just live in the moment.