Indian batsmen - overshadowed by Sachin, fair claim?

Even Dravid himself would acknowledge that he has spent a lot of time in SRTs shadow. Anyone who doesnt agree to that is just fooling himself. I can understand people saying Dravid is a better batsman than SRT, that he's more important to the team, yada yada..... because that is opinion. But this is fact. Ask any Indian fan and he'll tell you that SRT overshadows everyone else in his generation.

Let alone Dravid, the entire cricketing world has been overshadowed by Sachin. I know and I can tell you without bias. I was born and raised in America, my father is Indian and my mom is West Indian (Indian decent). I visited India and witnessed the hype first hand, no doubts about anything there, SRT is the standard that batsmen try to live up to but can never attain. This aura burns strong thousands of miles away in Trinidad & Tobago, where my mom is from and where Brian Lara is from. I lived there for a few years and had my share of Brian Lara's hype as well. However, many there agree that the biggest injustice to Brian Lara was that he unfortunately had to play in the same era that SRT played. It's not only Lara, but great batsmen worldwide will always be judged a notch lower because of SRT. Nobody is taking anything away from these other batsmen who have worked hard and toiled through their careers, but this man, SRT, he is something else, and that's what current batsmen will have to deal with, and future batsmen will be judged by in attempts to aspire. One can deny or ignore it, but this will not change, I can’t help but feel sorry for those who have been overshadowed, but it would be wrong to blame SRT for his sheer greatness. It’s only natural that a situation like this unfolds when a player of that caliber exists.

Let alone Dravid' date=' the entire cricketing world has been overshadowed by Sachin. I know and I can tell you without bias. I was born and raised in America, my father is Indian and my mom is West Indian (Indian decent). I visited India and witnessed the hype first hand, no doubts about anything there, SRT is the standard that batsmen try to live up to but can never attain. This aura burns strong thousands of miles away in Trinidad & Tobago, where my mom is from and where Brian Lara is from. I lived there for a few years and had my share of Brian Lara's hype as well. However, many there agree that the biggest injustice to Brian Lara was that he unfortunately had to play in the same era that SRT played. It's not only Lara, but great batsmen worldwide will always be judged a notch lower because of SRT. Nobody is taking anything away from these other batsmen who have worked hard and toiled through their careers, but this man, SRT, he is something else, and that's what current batsmen will have to deal with, and future batsmen will be judged by in attempts to aspire. One can deny or ignore it, but this will not change, I can’t help but feel sorry for those who have been overshadowed, but it would be wrong to blame SRT for his sheer greatness. It’s only natural that a situation like this unfolds when a player of that caliber exists.[/quote'] very good first post.:two_thumbs_up:
:haha: :orderorder: @ anbuchelvan BTW anbu: take a look at http://indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=150637 :D
Fineleg,I am running 45.Working in a Japanese firm as Regional director(Singapore).Having few patents registered in my name ,in Japan (In the field of rubber and polymers). Now and then people come to me for pep talk when they are depressed.But I prefer to watch Sachin's desert storm innings - 1998 or World cup 2003(against pak) or the last over against SA.This is more than enough to motivate me to fight against the odds.I have nothing against Dravid exept that betraying declaration. I will still adore Sachin for standing up for Harbajan in the Monkeygate rather than keeping silent. If Sir Hadlee says Sachin is the best ,there may be some good reasons for that. Sachin is "The best" others may be better or good.:two_thumbs_up:

I really feel for Laxman though, he's such a great batsman but Rahul Dravid and Tendulkar get all the attention. While watching live you could see people from Indian origin cheer every run scored by Rahul Dravid and create an aura about him when he's out there batting. Tendulkar is admired not just by Indians but every one on the ground and it doesn't matter whether he scored or not he is cheered nevertheless. Laxman gets a few oohhhs and ahhhs when he hits some shots but not as appreciated as say Rahul Dravid or Tendulkar. That said Tendulkar deserves every possible attention and accolade given his dedication to the sport he loves so much.

Yes it is a fair claim and nothing humiliating about it.He has been the apple of the eye,expectation of one billion people ever since he started his career .Consistenly brilliant in both forms of the game for over 20 years .The batsman capable of taking the best bowlers of the opposition with arrogance and dominating them into submission .No other batsmen can be in his league.He has that X factor and charisma. Cricket is a game which recquires technique as well as entertainment .Not the entertainment of Afridi type,but the kind of Tendulkars,Laras.Beautiful shots batsmen dominating bowlers,batsmen defending bowlers every thing . In Asustralian team Glen Mcgrath was thier main bowler over the years but overshadowed by Shane Warne.Simply because Warne's charisma and crowd pulling ability .That doesn't diminish Mcgrath's importnace .He will be remembered as a legend.But certain players will have that extra factor with them which make people watch the game . No one can watch Mcgrath bowling day after day with his metronomic accuracy ,we need Akrams,Donalds explosiveness and versatalities to add color . No one cna watch Dravids,Kallis batting all day we need Tendulkars,Laras...dominating bowlers and playing classic shots.Dravid and Kallis will be legends .But they lack certain charisma which infact helped them playing without much ''pressure''. All those players who consider as stars have that extra burden to carry, carry the expectation of people and critics . One has to give credit for them for doing so well while always under the scrutiny of so many people . As for Tendulkar no one gets upset if he overshadowed other Indian batsmen unless they are jealous .No one can question the fairness of such a claim,if they have any clue about the cricket in 90s.