Opening just a job for me: Sehwag

Feed

Sehwag really, really seems to be hoping that Indian team finds another opener (in Tests esp) to play with GG at the top, so he can play his game in the middle order.

After so much success at the top of the order, do you still feel you are an opener by chance? • You can’t change that fact, can you? I was a middle-order batsman who was asked to open and luckily for me, things went really well. In fact, till date, as an opener I am just doing a job given to me by the team management. Given a choice, I would happily slide down and play in the middle-order because that’s where I belong. But right now, I have a job entrusted to me and I love the responsibility, so no regrets at all. •Is it true that you wanted the team management to switch you back to the middle-order when the runs had dried up? • Yes... I wasn’t getting many runs and I had asked if I could bat in the middle-order. I thought I would be able to contribute better but the team management vetoed it. They said I have done well as an opener, and that it was my role in the team. They were willing to back me and I was ready all over again. Everything worked out really well.
Despite making optimum use of the horizontal bat while at the crease, Team India vice-captain and opener Virender Sehwag has a rather straight-forward approach while facing questions. More...
I guess if there is a good opener with Gauti, Sehwag can slide down and bat instead of Yuseless. Or else, if he keeps running his mouth too much, he can be left out!!!

I guess a thought like this will cross him many a times when he fails to produce consistent knocks throught out a series. Can't blame him for that. Despite where he bats he will make massive runs and also will see many lows given the way he bats.

I wonder sometimes how much he could contribute if he did not have to face the new ball in hostile circumstances. In tests as well as ODIs the new ball usually moves a bit for an hour or two- even on flat tracks. If we save him from that, may be Sehwag will score double what he is scoring now. Our only problem is that we dont have anyone to replace him at the top.