Indians ask: Whose tournament is the IPL?

King

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/2358563/Indians-ask-Whose-tournament-is-the-IPL/ Indians ask: Whose tournament is the IPL? Brendon McCullum, Shane Warne and the foreign legion cashing in on the Indian Premier League have come under fire following complaints that Indian players are being overlooked in the glitzy Twenty20 tournament. Organisers insist the IPL is a domestic tournament with teams allowed to field only four foreign players per match but Indian cricketers are already feeling the pinch in the event's second season. All eight teams are coached by foreigners and only four sides are captained by Indian players. The fascination with international stars does not end there. Among those cricketers bought at IPL auctions, seven of the top 10 earners were foreigners. "This whole talk of IPL being a domestic Indian tournament is a joke," former India captain Ajit Wadekar told AFP. "It is Indian money, our country's money on which foreigners are thriving. But they do not think twice before sacking an Indian." India's Mohammad Kaif, 28, was shown the door by the Rajasthan Royals two days before the start of the IPL season in South Africa because coach and skipper Warne said: "he did not fit into the scheme of things". The removal of Kaif, who has played 13 Tests and 125 one-day internationals, left many fuming. "It has exposed the complete ruthlessness of the owners," said Sharda Ugra, sports editor of the respected India Today magazine. "Eventually for them it's business first. Unfortunately the Indians seem to be losing out, even the great players." India's most successful Test captain Sourav Ganguly was replaced at the helm of Kolkata by New Zealand's Brendon McCullum, a move masterminded by former Australian coach John Buchanan. Rahul Dravid was dumped as captain of Bangalore Royal Challengers after Kevin Pietersen came on board this year while VVS Laxman was sacked as skipper of Deccan Chargers in favour of Adam Gilchrist. When Pietersen leaves the IPL in early-May due to England commitments, South African Jacques Kallis will take over as captain for the rest of the season. Wadekar said he wished Indian coaches were taken on by the rich owners. "Some of the foreign coaches have not even played Test cricket, that's why they don't know how to respect talent at the international level. No wonder, players like Ganguly are being ill-treated." Ugra fears it may not be long before the restriction on four foreign players per match is removed. "There was already an attempt to amend the rules and have six foreigners in a playing eleven before the auction this year, but luckily it was shot down," she said.

Bloody bitter oldies that frowned at Twenty20 IPL competition now are demanding more Indians should be appearing in these games. What is wrong with these old farts? They are never ready to help out local teams in the Ranji and domestic competitions simply because either there is no money in it or it lacks audience. Now that IPL is popular they don't quite want to be sidelined. Moreover when did they ever have good credentials to coach? Ajit Wadekar is one of the coaches under whom the players were fixing the games left, right and center. India used to struggle to win overseas during his period. There were no fast bowlers around in India during these guys period. Their methods are age old and they have no bloody organization skills. I do understand there has to be local coaches involved but I don't get the point why these guys only talk about IPL a Twenty20 tourney where their age old tactics are not of much use. Why don't they help out in other domestic competitions? If not for overseas players IPL will not have been this successfull we all know. 4 player per side is just the right combination and moreover these guys have to understand corporates/businessmen have invested heavily in IPL teams. In the name of promoting locals should they sacrifice on profits? The very model of IPL is to ensure the competition makes enough money for the franchaises. If the likes of Ajit Wadekar, Bedi and the likes start coaching teams there will be a blind man with his dog watching these competitions. It is not rocket science that past test players only don't make great coaches. Ask the likes of Miandad, Kapil Dev, Sir Viv Richards and others. I suppose they are asking for the likes of Amarnath, Bedi, Ajit Wadekar, Gaekwad and the rest to be promoted as coaches. The very reason overseas coaches are employed is because the local coaches are highly biased. Even the selectors are extremely biased. How often haven't we seen quota players coming through that play a test match or few ODIs and vanish? IPL at this point in time is being run well. One season has thrown up players like Ojha, Ravinder Jadeja, Yousuf Pathan and the likes. In the long run the domestic players benefit with the presence of overseas players doesn't matter what format.

***..ing indian ametuar loser thinking . its high time cricket become real professional sport
Exactly. This is how losers think. They do not understand that IPL is big because of star players. The domestic noobs are getting a taste of international competition because of these international stalwarts. Just think how much Kamran Khan has learned and how far he has advanced in this IPL because he is playing with Warne and is bowling to Gayle, McCullum and Ganguly.

I would like to see five foreign players in the team next year. But I just cant understand these n00bs of BRC and KKR concentrating on 4 foreign players instead of focussing on 7 Indian players.They go and splash out money for Mortaza who hasn even played a single match yet but the Indian "talent" on offer from KKR was pathetic apart frm Ganguly and Ishant ofcourse, agreed Pujara is injured but cant they find two quality Indian middle order batsman in a year's time?

Wadekar said he wished Indian coaches were taken on by the rich owners. "Some of the foreign coaches have not even played Test cricket, that's why they don't know how to respect talent at the international level. No wonder, players like Ganguly are being ill-treated."
So where does Wadekar get an idea that there are no Indian coaches in IPL? Lalchund Rajput was the coach of MI last year and this year they have Praveen Amre. Didn't know these two were foeign! :roll: Isn't TA Shekhar with DD? Wasn't Prasad a disaster last year for BRC as the head coach. He was rightly sacked from that team, but is still seving as bowling coach for CSK. RR have no coach at all. So if Indians come up with good credentials, I can't see why they'll not be hired. But Indian tournament doesn't mean even C grade coaches will be hired, doesn't matter whether they are Indians for foreigners.

I would like to see five foreign players in the team next year. But I just cant understand these n00bs of BRC and KKR concentrating on 4 foreign players instead of focussing on 7 Indian players.They go and splash out money for Mortaza who hasn even played a single match yet but the Indian "talent" on offer from KKR was pathetic apart frm Ganguly and Ishant ofcourse' date=' agreed Pujara is injured but cant they find two quality Indian middle order batsman in a year's time?[/quote'] There are not enough quality Indian players around. Maybe 30 or 40. Since the 8 teams need some 100 players, the remaining 20 or so spots will have to filled up with better foreign players if they want the crowd to be interested all the time. So the increase in the number of foreigners to five or six has to happen within a year or two.

There are not enough quality Indian players around. Maybe 30 or 40. Since the 8 teams need some 100 players' date=' the remaining 20 or so spots will have to filled up with better foreign players if they want the crowd to be interested all the time. So the increase in the number of foreigners to five or six has to happen within a year or two.[/quote'] We dont want to shoot ourselves in the foot here, this is the Indian Premier League, we are here to promote the Indian talent and give them maximum exposure, so i guess the restriction of four is fine. This decision of having four foreign players is a well thought out one and has been made after some degree of research. For Instance the English Premier League side Arsenal, which btw is a super sexy outfit, have only 2 players of English origin who make the starting XI, there have been a lot arguements between UEFA and the clubs regarding the minimum number of Home Grown players being fielded, Michel Platini has now put forward a 6+5 rule where we have six players of Home/Local players. So i guess this four foreign players rule is one which shouldnt be tampered in some time to come

We dont want to shoot ourselves in the foot here, this is the Indian Premier League, we are here to promote the Indian talent and give them maximum exposure, so i guess the restriction of four is fine. This decision of having four foreign players is a well thought out one and has been made after some degree of research. For Instance the English Premier League side Arsenal, which btw is a super sexy outfit, have only 2 players of English origin who make the starting XI, there have been a lot arguements between UEFA and the clubs regarding the minimum number of Home Grown players being fielded, Michel Platini has now put forward a 6+5 rule where we have six players of Home/Local players. So i guess this four foreign players rule is one which shouldnt be tampered in some time to come
I agree with your argument but the need to make more $$$s is bound to beat commonsense soon.

Mr. Mallaya and Mr. SRK are making a big joke of IPL Season 2 by sacking Dada and Dravid from Captaincy. They were past successful Indian Captains, But KP and McCullam's captaincy records are pathetic (for their national team). I think, foreign players play horribly because of anxiety to justify their price tag. On the other hand local talent doing great because of curiosity to prove themselves.