How IPL can improve

Gambit

Smaller teams will have no interest and takers..my super league idea is better IMO This is not a conventional domestic series, the popularity is due to inclusion of big stars Regarding referrals - not enough overs or game time to justify it Tie is a Tie - thats good, split the pts
Yeah! Tie should be tie! no superover - its looks stupid.

How abt last over as auto-power play Give each foreign player a game compulsory
I agree... players like Collinwood did not get a single match in IPL and he is going back to England now .. similarly McGrath, Dave Warner etc. should have also got chances

But RR franchise has been especially pathetic to have not increased YKP contract fees ... I also advise an increase of Warne fees as he is doing a dual role of captain and coach .. these two players are winning game single handedly for RR and the pathetic RR management have not increased their contracts even after their awesome performance last year .. YKP at least deserves $ 800K + .. they are paying Tyron Henderson $650K who is not playing or performing and YKP is paid a lame 30K who is winning them matches single handedly .. that is really pathetic to say the least
All the contracts end this IPL - they all will be re-negotiated before next IPL... i expect Yusuf to bag at least $600K and Warnie $1000K (if he plays). Henderson might be decreased, Kaif might be released altogether. Its gonna be interesting for players like Brandie, Phoren Babas, etc in KKR everyone except RD in BRC. I think RD will be made captain again or he'll transfer to some other franchise. At lease Dada should! I'd like to see him play another IPL :--D

I agree... players like Collinwood did not get a single match in IPL and he is going back to England now .. similarly McGrath' date=' Dave Warner etc. should have also got chances[/quote'] They are injury reserves - they have to earn their spots! I think Warner and McGrath will get their chances. Colly and Shah cannot earn their spot right now; esp with Dan, Nannes/McGrath, ABD and Dilshan. Maybe play Colly for Dilshan; but I don't see Shah in for ABD unless he is horribly out of form

I wud like to see Metro XI vs non-Metro XI' date=' all-star NBA style just before the finals, sans players involved in the finals. That will be exciting.[/quote'] I'm just excited to have the number of franchises increase from 8 to 10/12 and then finally 13/15!
2010-11 Expansion After the success of the first season, it has been reported that four new franchises will join the IPL in 2010-11, increasing the total number of teams to 12. The new confirmed franchises will be based in Ahmedabad and Kanpur, with Anil Ambani's name associated with the ownership of the Ahmedabad franchise, and Sahara Group is touted as the possible suitors to buy the Kanpur franchise. Other cities being linked with getting a franchisee are Patna-Ranchi joined franchisee or a team from the North-East to promote the sport in the region and possibly one team from the north-western states of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkhand. Expansions- 2010-11 Season( 4 new teams)- IPL Ahmedabad IPL Kanpur Any two from the following- A Patna joined franchisee A team from the Assam A team from the north-western states of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkhand 2012-13 expansion The unselected team from the three postulated for the 2010-11 expansion will be considered for another set of expansions in the 2012-13 season. An expansion of two more teams is expected for 2012-13. A second Mumbai or Delhi team has also been proposed for future expansion of two teams to take place in the 2012-13 season. The Delhi team could be localized to Gurgaon, Faridabad, NOIDA or Greater NOIDA or could be more likely combined to create an alternative Delhi team. A Mumbai team could represent Navi Mumbai or Pune. However, a number of issues with the expansions exist. While Indian cricket is immensely popular and new franchises will likely obtain an owner and a moderate fan base, there is a fear that the new franchise would not be able to integrate well into the tournament as most star players in the cricket world would already be involved with their existing franchises. There is also a fear of diluting the talent in all the teams and hence making each team less appealing to the audience (although this is not likely to occur, given that most overseas players currently signed in the IPL players, do not play due to the 4-player limit on overseas players in a match squad). Regardless, the expansions are likely to make it longer before the IPL is fully integrated into the national and international psyche in the way the English Premier League or American franchise-based competitions are.
Source - wiki and http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Two_new_teams_to_play_for_IPL/articleshow/3057344.cms

All the contracts end this IPL - they all will be re-negotiated before next IPL... i expect Yusuf to bag at least $600K and Warnie $1000K (if he plays). Henderson might be decreased, Kaif might be released altogether. Its gonna be interesting for players like Brandie, Phoren Babas, etc in KKR everyone except RD in BRC. I think RD will be made captain again or he'll transfer to some other franchise. At lease Dada should! I'd like to see him play another IPL :--D
I agree that the players should revise the contract amounts as per performance soon .. a KP or Freddie getting $1.55 milllion does not make sense .. Duminy is also not fit for a $950K IMO .. there are several discrepancies .. IPL franchisees seems to be cricket illiterates .. they do not have the judgement of whom to pay how much

I'm just excited to have the number of franchises increase from 8 to 10/12 and then finally 13/15! Source - wiki and http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Two_new_teams_to_play_for_IPL/articleshow/3057344.cms
10 teams will be just fine, 12+ will make the tournament too long unless they play two games at the same time on a few days, which I think will not happen. Also I would like to see the foreign players pool cut down from 10 to 7 and pick 5 from that. It is pathetic to see some of the foreign internationals warming the bench, they better stay outta it.

I agree that the players should revise the contract amounts as per performance soon .. a KP or Freddie getting $1.55 milllion does not make sense .. Duminy is also not fit for a $950K IMO .. there are several discrepancies .. IPL franchisees seems to be cricket illiterates .. they do not have the judgement of whom to pay how much
:haha::haha: but KP, Freddie and JPD are in for 2 year contracts (i think) which end after next IPL.

10 teams will be just fine' date=' 12+ will make the tournament too long unless they play two games at the same time on a few days, which I think will not happen. Also I would like to see the foreign players pool cut down from 10 to 7 and pick 5 from that. It is pathetic to see some of the foreign internationals warming the bench, they better stay outta it.[/quote'] 12+ will be cool too esp because of the home grounds and home supporters. Like in America there are multiple games on at the same time (on different channels)! I propose that the season should be longer with more teams and 8 teams making to PLAYOFFS! And then during the time of playoffs - you have the introduction of international players ( integrating this time in the ICC's FTP ). So- Similar to Football/Basketball, you have East - 4 teams West - 4 teams North - 4 teams South - 4 teams 1. 1st 1 month - League games ( giving more exposure to local Indian players to extract the talent and hone their skills). 2. Top 2 teams from EWNS resp make it to playoffs 3. Relax the 4-overseas player rule to 5-overseas player. Apply the rule that if a player can play for only 1 franchise per year! 4. Proceed with the present kind similar IPL scenario.

10 teams will be just fine' date=' 12+ will make the tournament too long unless they play two games at the same time on a few days, which I think will not happen. Also I would like to see the foreign players pool cut down from 10 to 7 and pick 5 from that. It is pathetic to see some of the foreign internationals warming the bench, they better stay outta it.[/quote'] I don;t think that will happen. In other sports - the reserve players are there for injury, etc. In cricket - injury and CURRENT FORM. Any player can drop out of form and yet be in contract - you cannot play him then. A big example is McCullum! If he were not the current captain and if Bhooka Naan is working on merit basis - then he should sit on the bench and give chances to other international player. Same case with Nannes - he is going for runs and will be substituted by Pigeon, and he may sit on the bench for rest of IPL!

Get rid of Buchanan and the IPL will be 10 times better.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: BTW srk has returned to India .. just saw his interview at the airport .. he said he will not go back to SA unless his team starts winning several games ... he says he is not able to bear the sad atmosphere of the KKR dressing room now :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I don;t think that will happen. In other sports - the reserve players are there for injury, etc. In cricket - injury and CURRENT FORM. Any player can drop out of form and yet be in contract - you cannot play him then. A big example is McCullum! If he were not the current captain and if Bhooka Naan is working on merit basis - then he should sit on the bench and give chances to other international player. Same case with Nannes - he is going for runs and will be substituted by Pigeon, and he may sit on the bench for rest of IPL!
I think seven wud be enuf ten is a waste of space. Even if AB or Dilshan fail I cant see Shah getting a game, thats my point.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: BTW srk has returned to India .. just saw his interview at the airport .. he said he will not go back to SA unless his team starts winning several games ... he says he is not able to bear the sad atmosphere of the KKR dressing room now :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
He is turning out to be a very bad loser.

1. A tie is a tie is a tie. No Super over(except in knockouts) 2. Referrals 3. A lower divison/plate league with teams from smaller towns initially. Promote top 2 to IPL and demote lower 2 in IPL to the plate league. This gives a much needed incentive to owners/captains.
1. Agreed 2. Every form of the game should use this. No exceptions. 3. IPL is very young. The 1st step should be to increase the number of teams and then the introduction of a minor league. But the formation of minor league looks impractical as Intl tournaments are the mainstay of cricket.

But RR franchise has been especially pathetic to have not increased YKP contract fees ... I also advise an increase of Warne fees as he is doing a dual role of captain and coach .. these two players are winning game single handedly for RR and the pathetic RR management have not increased their contracts even after their awesome performance last year .. YKP at least deserves $ 800K + .. they are paying Tyron Henderson $650K who is not playing or performing and YKP is paid a lame 30K who is winning them matches single handedly .. that is really pathetic to say the least
Errr....Yusuf Pathan was signed up for $500,000. Regarding the OP, I think a T20 game should always have a result and a Superover ensures that. Moreover, the strategy break has already sucked the life out of the games - no point in introducing more delays. They are increasing the number of teams 2011 onwards anyway, but my concern with that is there aren't enough good domestic players to maintain the quality of the cricket. They would have to increase the number of foreign players per side for it to remain competitive.