Twenty20 Super 14 style competition

King

CricketJames Sutherland likely to launch Twenty20 Super 14 style competition By Iain Payten May 07, 2009 Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has conceded the Australian team's never-ending schedule will have to be trimmed to fit in a lucrative Southern Premier League - and it could be good for the game. Sutherland acknowledged criticism of the endless summer Ricky Ponting's team is enduring this year as he detailed plans for a Super 14-style Twenty20 rival to the hugely popular IPL. Australia, South Africa and New Zealand are in talks to launch a tri-nation Twenty20 tournament as soon as the summer of 2011, but Sutherland said there were issues with finding a suitable window given the current demands on Ponting's men. While CA are resolute in not disrupting Test cricket, it would seem likely the amount of 50-over cricket is set to be slashed to accommodate more of the Twenty20 version. "There may well be some need for sacrifices along the way but sacrifices may be a good thing," Sutherland said. "There are people that would say there might be too much international cricket being played right now in some form or another. I'm not saying that's the case, but some would argue that a diminution in the amount of content could be a good thing for cricket." Speaking at a luncheon of top sporting chief executives in Sydney, Sutherland said it was impossible to ignore the success of the IPL. "Anyone who follows sport has been fascinated to watch the Indian Premier League unfold in such a short period of time," Sutherland said. "The sort of numbers involved, rights, sponsorship, franchising, are absolutely phenomenal. There's no doubt it's changed the way people look at Twenty20 cricket as well. "They are all things that are very interesting to us, obviously." Sutherland said the idea of building Australian, Kiwi and South African franchises would be "unashamedly" copied from rugby's Super 14. "We share the same season and the same time we are playing cricket and we see there's an opportunity there."

What are you guys going to call Sutherland now that Modi is hated here? It's not just Modi but most cricket administrators around the world are seeing the potential in Twenty20 cricket. Cricket won't be the same in about 5-10 years time. There will at least be 4 major Twenty20 tourneys. ODI cricket won't be the same and to accomodate Twenty20s ODIs will be cut down. I think that is a good move as long as test cricket still will be played.

oh dear-there are only so many good international players-if this is in direct competition with IPL then it will fail.All the IPL franchises have to do is increase or do away with the CAP and we can watch the floodgates open.No southern league can compete against that.

ICC is stupid not to have something like a test cricket competition to build interest in test cricket. I think ICC should just leave test cricket administration with the Indians and whether they will over commercialize test cricket format or anything they will ensure grand success of test cricket as well. Now we had Pakistan vs Australia ODI series. I know of two Aussies that love their cricket not even knowing the series score line let along the scores in individual games. I usually follow most cricket but not once did I read the scores of the ODIs between Pakistan and Australia. Imagine if these results were tied to a yearly or a two yearly competition, we will have definitely shown more interest. These bi-lateral ODI series' are just losing it's attraction. I think there should be two leagues in test cricket or something of that sort and every result should be tied to a chamionship of some sort otherwise businesses will show less interest in investing in test cricket outside India. We can't just look at this from the angle of India alone as cricket is played by very less countries and for cricket to thrive, interests of rest of the nations other than just India needs to be sustained.