Oram to open?

bunny

Looking at CSK's stats: http://stats.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=4801;team=4343;type=tournament It seems like Oram and Albie have played just 5-10 balls per match, whereas guys like Vijay and Patel played 12-20 per innings. Oram and Albie dont possess the best of techniques but still would it be not wiser to open with one of them (maybe Oram since he is not doing anything at the moment) and send in Vijay if one of the openers gets out early?

Need as many hitters as possible for later stages to up the RR or to chase. Need to conserve wickets first few overs. What they have now is perfect.
But these guys arent even getting a bat. The only situation I can see them batting is when Hayden and Raina get out early. But, I am not sure what these guys would do then. I think it's a question of preparing for the worst case vs the average case...The current average case is that Hayden, Raina, and either MSD/Badri play the bulk of the deliveries and **/Vijay play 15-20. Wouldnt you want Oram/Albie to play those 15-20?

But these guys arent even getting a bat. The only situation I can see them batting is when Hayden and Raina get out early. But' date=' I am not sure what these guys would do then. I think it's a question of preparing for the worst case vs the average case...The current average case is that Hayden, Raina, and either MSD/Badri play the bulk of the deliveries and **/Vijay play 15-20. Wouldnt you want Oram/Albie to play those 15-20?[/quote'] I am ok with Oram/Morkel coming in early, but not as openers. Don't want a quick wicket AND losing a good hitter.

We have to understand that when it comes to batting orders, its not merely a question of using all the resources to their maximum potential, but having specific batsmen at specific positions that allows other batsmen to play to their fullest potential. In this case, its the presence of Oram and Morkel at no.s 6 and 7 that allows players like Hayden and Raina to play with relative freedom. So, even though it appears as though Csk is wasting the hitting talents of Oram and Morkel, they're not coz these players' talents surfaces in the form of extra freedom and reduced pressure for the top-order batsman, which is why Csk's 3 top-order batsmen are among the top run getters of the league. Who knows, had Csk not had such a powerful lower order, most of their top order batsmen would have baulked under the higher pressure, just like say how say Sachin is inhibiting his strokeplay because MI's fragile lower order.

On a related note, how incrediby powerful is Csk's batting line up! Its no coincidence that they have been most consistent scoters of the league so far. Very few teams have the luxury of being able to not utilize the hitting talents of someone like Albie Morkel and yet be as effective as this. It will be intereting to see what happens when Hayden starts to fail. Right now, he is without doubt rock hard foundation on which Csk's builds its tall structures. At some point in the tournament he has to start failing.