Lakers - NBA Champions!!

Ram

selfish kobe lost em this match... trying to take over again, jacking up bad shots when gasol was established..and also he missed 4 FT...magic didnt win, lakers gave it away.. als damn, this 2-3-2 format i think favors the magic (lakers had home court adv. with the better rec.) but lakers will still win....

Two things stood out in the match; Howard threw bricks in the 4th quarter. Fisher once showed the value of having a big-match player in your team. He was 0-5 from the beyond the three point line, till he made that game tying shot in the end. For the Magic, Rashard Lewis lack of offensive presence hurt 'em badly.

Biggest mistake of the game - magic doubling kobe in OT forcing him to pass to fisher. Kobe wasn't hitting his shots as he normally does and would have made sense to make him take a 2 instead of giving fisher an open 3. If you want to double kobe, need to leave someone on fisher.

Biggest mistake of the game - magic doubling kobe in OT forcing him to pass to fisher. Kobe wasn't hitting his shots as he normally does and would have made sense to make him take a 2 instead of giving fisher an open 3. If you want to double kobe' date=' need to leave someone on fisher.[/quote'] yep.pietrus was doing a great job of guarding him.for some inexplicable reason they doubled him on that final play in regulation time.

Biggest mistake of the game - magic doubling kobe in OT forcing him to pass to fisher. Kobe wasn't hitting his shots as he normally does and would have made sense to make him take a 2 instead of giving fisher an open 3. If you want to double kobe' date=' need to leave someone on fisher.[/quote'] He was struggling BECAUSE they were doubling him all the time. And if you're going to double Kobe, obviously, either one of Fisher or Ariza would have gotten an open look and BOTH of them are good 3-pt shooters. The bigger mistake that the Magic did – even coach Jeff Van Gundy admitted to doing so in the after match press conference- was that they didn’t foul the Lakers immediately after they inbounded with 11 second in the shot clock. If they didn’t want to foul immediately after the inbound, they could have at least done it when the clock ticked past 6 or 7 seconds remaining in the match.

He was struggling BECAUSE they were doubling him all the time. And if you're going to double Kobe, obviously, either one of Fisher or Ariza would have gotten an open look and BOTH of them are good 3-pt shooters. The bigger mistake that the Magic did – even coach Jeff Van Gundy admitted to doing so in the after match press conference- was that they didn’t foul the Lakers immediately after they inbounded with 11 second in the shot clock. If they didn’t want to foul immediately after the inbound, they could have at least done it when the clock ticked past 6 or 7 seconds remaining in the match.
Actually no on both counts. Double or not, Kobe doesn't go 11/32 in a game unless he is having an off shooting day. He has been even missing free throws last 2 games. True that he hit two clutch shots in OT, still I wouldn't leave fisher open. Regarding the regulation open 3, while it is true in hindsight that fouling with a 3 pt lead is a better idea, with free throw shooters like Howard on your side, you don't want to trim the lead from 3 to 2 without even letting them try a shot. He wanted to wait for 6/7 seconds and by then the play was already on and the players couldn't react. Remember by then if you had tried to foul, you could be fouling a 3 pt shooter and giving 3 free throws.

Actually no on both counts. Double or not, Kobe doesn't go 11/32 in a game unless he is having an off shooting day. He has been even missing free throws last 2 games.
He made ALL his free-throws in game 4. So, I don’t know where you got this statement from.
still I wouldn't leave fisher open.
Fisher was 0-5 from the beyond the line, TILL he made that shot. So, if you’re the Magic coach, what would you do? Double-team Lakers start player (Kobe) who is almost guaranteed to take the shot under the circumstance and make it harder for him, or just have a single defender after him and hopes he misses a shot that you’re almost sure he’s gonna miss (or), send a defender after someone (Fisher) who had missed all the 3 pt attempts up until then? I think doubling Kobe was the right option. He was almost guaranteed to take that shot and you want to make it as hard as possible for him.
Regarding the regulation open 3, while it is true in hindsight that fouling with a 3 pt lead is a better idea, with free throw shooters like Howard on your side, you don't want to trim the lead from 3 to 2 without even letting them try a shot. He wanted to wait for 6/7 seconds and by then the play was already on and the players couldn't react. Remember by then if you had tried to foul, you could be fouling a 3 pt shooter and giving 3 free throws.
You don’t necessarily have to foul the Lakers with the ball in hand. They could have fouled anyone. And what makes it worse was that the Lakers brought the ball from their half of the court, which meant it gave the Magic valuable 3-4 secs before any one of the Lakers got into a shooting option, before which they could have fouled.

He made ALL his free-throws in game 4. So' date=' I don’t know where you got this statement from. [/quote'] Those were Kobe's shooting stats for the game. I just talked about his FT cause he was missing those the prev game and in general hasn't been shooting well both games 3 and 4.
Fisher was 0-5 from the beyond the line, TILL he made that shot. So, if you’re the Magic coach, what would you do? Double-team Lakers start player (Kobe) who is almost guaranteed to take the shot under the circumstance and make it harder for him, or just have a single defender after him and hopes he misses a shot that you’re almost sure he’s gonna miss (or), send a defender after someone (Fisher) who had missed all the 3 pt attempts up until then? I think doubling Kobe was the right option. He was almost guaranteed to take that shot and you want to make it as hard as possible for him.
We are talking OT here, by then he had hit the clutch shot at end of regulation to tie the game. I am ok with doubling Kobe cause he is THE man, but if that means leaving guys like Robert Horry, Tony Parker, Derek Fisher open in the clutch, good luck.
You don’t necessarily have to foul the Lakers with the ball in hand. They could have fouled anyone. And what makes it worse was that the Lakers brought the ball from their half of the court, which meant it gave the Magic valuable 3-4 secs before any one of the Lakers got into a shooting option, before which they could have fouled.
I have not seen teams in the pros foul anyone with a 3 pt lead. They all say they want to do it when they get screwed, but your initial thought is, I have a 3 pt lead, let me defend. Also, isn't there a rule saying if you foul the guy without the ball in the final 2 mins, the team gets FT and gets to keep the ball?

We are talking OT here, by then he had hit the clutch shot at end of regulation to tie the game. I am ok with doubling Kobe cause he is THE man, but if that means leaving guys like Robert Horry, Tony Parker, Derek Fisher open in the clutch, good luck
And thats the risk you run, if you have to double a star-player. All you can do is hope the guys from beyond perimeter miss. And in this case, Fisher didnt.
I have not seen teams in the pros foul anyone with a 3 pt lead. They all say they want to do it when they get screwed, but your initial thought is, I have a 3 pt lead, let me defend
You missed the most important stat here - 3 pt lead with 11 secs left on the clock. Under such a situation, you almost certainly foul, especially if the opposing team uses a valuable 3-4 secs for bringing the ball from their side of the court.
Also, isn't there a rule saying if you foul the guy without the ball in the final 2 mins, the team gets FT and gets to keep the ball
I dont think there is any such rule. Players are routinely fould in the dying minutes, take their free-throws and immediately scamper to their side of the court to play defence.

I dont think there is any such rule. Players are routinely fould in the dying minutes, take their free-throws and immediately scamper to their side of the court to play defence.
Actually there is. Which is why they chase the guy with the ball and the side with ball will sometimes try to keep passing the ball to their better FT shooter and to keep moving the clock. I am not sure if this rule applies when there is foul to give.

Seems like a recent addition: http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Hack-a-Shaq The NBA decided to address this undesirable situation by instituting a new rule regarding off-the-ball fouls — that is, committing a personal foul against an offensive player who neither has the ball nor is making an effort to obtain it. The new rule stated that if the defensive team commits an off-the-ball foul within the last two minutes of the game, the offensive team would be allowed to keep possession of the ball after the awarding of either one or two free throws.