IPL format sucks

amits

Stupid thread ... this is not some new unconventional format. Round robin, until we get the top 4 is a commonly used format in many competitions around the world.
IPL is not played in a round robin format though but a league format - that's been the argument.

IPL is not played in a round robin format though but a league format - that's been the argument.
What are you talking? Its a classic double round-robin format (Every team facing every other team twice, one home, one away). :dontknow:

What are you talking? Its a classic double round-robin format (Every team facing every other team twice' date=' one home, one away). :dontknow:[/quote'] A round robin format usually implies teams split into groups. IPL is played in a league format like football.

A round robin format usually implies teams split into groups. IPL is played in a league format like football.
But shwetabh, a round robin IPL would mean almost halving the tournament, it also means, for eg, if Punjab and Chennai are in different groups and fail to qualify, then Chennai can't have a shot at making it 6-0. :laugh:

But shwetabh' date=' a round robin IPL would mean almost halving the tournament, it also means, for eg, if Punjab and Chennai are in different groups and fail to qualify, then Chennai can't have a shot at making it 6-0. :laugh:[/quote'] At least P_K will enjoy it.:giggle: I am not necessarily asking for a round robin format - just saying that the present league format with a SF doesn't make sense and is unfair to teams who came first and second over 5 weeks to be eliminated in a single shot. If you want the league format you can have just a best of 3 final, or even best of 3 SFs if you really want SFs. Single match SF and final are more in line with a grouped round robin format.

A round robin format usually implies teams split into groups. IPL is played in a league format like football.
So are you telling me the difference between a round-robin format and a league format is the number of groups in the tournament? Are you sure about that? Is there even a term like league format to define a particular format?

A round-robin tournament or all-play-all tournament is a type of group tournament "in which each contestant meets every other contestant in turn".[1] In a single round-robin schedule, each participant plays every other participant once. If each participant plays all others twice, this is frequently called a double round-robin. Source

At least P_K will enjoy it.:giggle: I am not necessarily asking for a round robin format - just saying that the present league format with a SF doesn't make sense and is unfair to teams who came first and second over 5 weeks to be eliminated in a single shot. If you want the league format you can have just a best of 3 final, or even best of 3 SFs if you really want SFs. Single match SF and final are more in line with a grouped round robin format.
We have had a Super Eights in the WC which has a very similar format. Where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. But seriously, whats sport if it doesnt upset the form book.

A round-robin tournament or all-play-all tournament is a type of group tournament "in which each contestant meets every other contestant in turn".[1] In a single round-robin schedule, each participant plays every other participant once. If each participant plays all others twice, this is frequently called a double round-robin. Source
Thanks Don - I always though round robin implied splitting the team into groups.

We have had a Super Eights in the WC which has a very similar format. Where 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. But seriously' date=' whats sport if it doesnt upset the form book.[/quote'] You are disappointed that the EPL is not based on the IPL format. If it was, Arsenal might have some how squeezed in a trophy in the past few years:hmmm:

modi thinks there will be two more teams next season.any guesses which 2 cities will get teams?.I dont know if expansion before 2011 is a good idea.without a proper time slot in the FTP a lot of players will not be available and having 2 more teams will be counterproductive.

modi thinks there will be two more teams next season.any guesses which 2 cities will get teams?.I dont know if expansion before 2011 is a good idea.without a proper time slot in the FTP a lot of players will not be available and having 2 more teams will be counterproductive.
The FTP issue should be solved by next year, the IPL is strengthening its roots in World Cricket, about the Teams its not untill the 4th Season, 2011, one of the Teamsis defn Ahmedabad, our Gujew brothers will enter the fray. I have little clue about the other team. According to this article from last year, it might be Ahmedabad and Kanpur http://gonewiththewindies.blogspot.com/2008/05/kanpur-amhedabad-in-ipl-2010-mix.html