Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

had I moved to the US a year ago , it would have been easy for me to say that its all BS as well ... try facing teenager who spit at u or some junkie/idiot who punches u .... Im not even sure what he is on about , he says there was crime on delhi metro and then the cops fixed it ... isnt that what Indians want here as well ? btw WTF .. racism is a 2 way street ? what did the blacks do 200 years ago ... what did dalits do 2000 years ago .. what have Indians done specifically in Melbourne which justifies getting spit on , punched on , racially abused

I am an Australian living in Australia and in general our country is not that racist. You get a few who are and they put the rest of the country to shame, thats it though, there are just a few. It's always the case, a small minority that makes the whole country seem bad. India isn't all innocent either, I'm sure. Like with that monkey incident over Symonds, it was just a very small minority that were racist, the rest I'm sure would not condone it. However, I'd say Australia is more racist then most in the way they think it's alright to make little jokes about other nationalities. There is no bad intent in them at all, but they still say them more as a joke though. I guess it stems from the fact we are a pretty laid-back country, we don't realise just how much this offends a lot of people. I've been hearing these stories of Indians being attacked and it disgusts me, but there are also a lot of Australians who attack Australians too. These racists will never be stopped, no matter how much, it's only a few who take it so incredibly far by actually attacking people, most in Australia I must admit say jokes about other nationalities. I have a lot of respect for Indians and if you are considering coming to Australia, I'd say don't be put off by these stories, we are a good country in the sense we offer good opportunities and in general we are friendly people. I think if you respect Australians they will respect you. There may be a few dickheads but you get them everywhere, just hang with the right people, be safe and you'll fit in well.

I am an Australian living in Australia and in general our country is not that racist. You get a few who are and they put the rest of the country to shame, thats it though, there are just a few. It's always the case, a small minority that makes the whole country seem bad. India isn't all innocent either, I'm sure. Like with that monkey incident over Symonds, it was just a very small minority that were racist, the rest I'm sure would not condone it. However, I'd say Australia is more racist then most in the way they think it's alright to make little jokes about other nationalities. There is no bad intent in them at all, but they still say them more as a joke though. I guess it stems from the fact we are a pretty laid-back country, we don't realise just how much this offends a lot of people. I've been hearing these stories of Indians being attacked and it disgusts me, but there are also a lot of Australians who attack Australians too. These racists will never be stopped, no matter how much, it's only a few who take it so incredibly far by actually attacking people, most in Australia I must admit say jokes about other nationalities. I have a lot of respect for Indians and if you are considering coming to Australia, I'd say don't be put off by these stories, we are a good country in the sense we offer good opportunities and in general we are friendly people. I think if you respect Australians they will respect you. There may be a few dickheads but you get them everywhere, just hang with the right people, be safe and you'll fit in well.
I agree with your post. If u look at the attacks its usually teenagers who are doing this.. the reason is what is highlighted in red above. The kids watch their parents talk about foreigners in a funny way and kids do not understand the difference between having a laugh & being racist .. they think its ok to pick on Indians since everybody does that ... As for the monkey chant and all .. guess how many Indians get called curry muncher everyday in Australia ... When it happened in India it was on news in Aus and now when indians are getting beaten up , stabbed etc the same media is saying "Indian media is over doing it" .. the worst and the lamest excuses I have heard are from talk back radio shows. People have blamed call centres , ,language , culture , jobs that Indians do , accent , not enough seats on the train and what not ... this is what worries me In the hindsight , I feel its a mistake that the Aus govt has made by letting around 100k Indians in a year. Maybe its a shock to the society when they see that 30% people walking the city are Indians these days or when they see that 90% cabbies are Indians ... but we cant blame students al though I think Aus wasnt ready for it

Thats true mate about the curry muncher thingy, but lets be honest here, pretty much every nation would say stuff like that ? I dont mean to be disrespectful, I don't judge people via nationality, it is important to know who they are and what offends them. I think every country has people who are racist to an extent, but that doesn't excuse whats happened tio Indians here in the last few days, its disgusting. I just hope that doesn't give every Australian about name, when it is just a few idiots out there.

In the hindsight ' date=' I feel its a mistake that the Aus govt has made by letting around 100k Indians in a year. Maybe its a shock to the society when they see that 30% people walking the city are Indians these days or when they see that 90% cabbies are Indians ... but we cant blame students al though I think Aus wasnt ready for it[/quote'] Why? If not this same sort of thing could erupt as violence against say, Lebanese or Vietnamese communities in Sydney and Melbourne or Indonesian and Filipino communities. Such idiots and scum will always be like this, close minded and looking for an easy target to pick on and blame. At the end of if the Australian gov't is doing the right thing. Look in the US, where so many first and second generation Indians are rising to the cream of society as doctors, engineers, scientists and programmers. Because of our background so many come from upbringings that place a great value upon education and community; it can only be good for any country if such people immigrate and bring those values with them.

Come on guys, Australia needs 'em Immigrants. :D The true magnitude of the Indian population hit me when I read this line in my Georgraphy (Yes, GEOGRAPHY :D) text in middle school - The Indian population's annual growth rate is equal to Australia's total population.

Thats true mate about the curry muncher thingy, but lets be honest here, pretty much every nation would say stuff like that ? I dont mean to be disrespectful, I don't judge people via nationality, it is important to know who they are and what offends them. I think every country has people who are racist to an extent, but that doesn't excuse whats happened tio Indians here in the last few days, its disgusting. I just hope that doesn't give every Australian about name, when it is just a few idiots out there.
I dont like that term and I find it offensive. I didnt mind it till someone called me a freaking curry muncher when I was walking in the city one evening . The worrying bit is that I have seen 2nd generation kids from the sub continent who talk like "are u a curry" , "i went to this party and they had so many curries over there" .. I mean is it so hard to call people Indian ? I think there is a thin line between jokes and racism .. plus its not like all people understand these jokes nor do I think that everybody who uses these terms is having fun ... There is a thin line so why not discourage and stop using it ?

I dont like that term and I find it offensive. I didnt mind it till someone called me a freaking curry muncher when I was walking in the city one evening . The worrying bit is that I have seen 2nd generation kids from the sub continent who talk like "are u a curry" , "i went to this party and they had so many curries over there" .. I mean is it so hard to call people Indian ? I think there is a thin line between jokes and racism .. plus its not like all people understand these jokes nor do I think that everybody who uses these terms is having fun ... There is a thin line so why not discourage and stop using it ?
If other people say stuff about Aussies which would be considered racist they wouldn't be offended, such as white **** or whatever lol. In most cases at least, which is why I think they say it. They think the others are the same and wont be offended or that it's alright to say it. Can I just ask though, in India are there any people who make racist remarks about Australians? Also, do you think if there were as many Australians in India as there are Indians in Australia that similar stuff would occur? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just interested.

If other people say stuff about Aussies which would be considered racist they wouldn't be offended, such as white **** or whatever lol. In most cases at least, which is why I think they say it. They think the others are the same and wont be offended or that it's alright to say it.
See if a friend says something then its ok .. problem starts when the people start abusing and hitting others. Im ok if my mates at work talk to me about something or crack borderline racist jokes .. but I dont wanna hear that at a train station.
Can I just ask though, in India are there any people who make racist remarks about Australians? Also, do you think if there were as many Australians in India as there are Indians in Australia that similar stuff would occur? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just interested.
There are people who make racist comments about people from different religion , country , different looks .. everything but if an Aussie gets killed in India then it gets reported and if he is killed because he was an australian/foreigner then its taken much more seriously. There are racists everywhere but what has pissed me off is that some people have tried to justify it by saying there are so many Indians here now .. we dont get a seat on the train .. if thats the case then lets ask the govt .. they are the ones who issue visas. There are millions of illegal Bangladeshis and Nepalise who are in India, some of them do get bullied and its wrong. Who said India is perfect ? The main point is that there is something fundamentally wrong when bunch of teenagers think its ok to harass a person of a certain race. Its an issue when adults say well we have a problem since too many of them are coming here. I say then lets protest and ask govt to cut down the number of visas ...

I was in australia a couple of years ago but only for a short time. 3 months to be precise on a scholarship from the australian national university in canberra. I lived in Acton a majority white place, and easily hanged out around the markets and the city center and went on a week long holiday to sydney with a couple of aussies and a japanese. I didnt face any kind of discrimination or bias anywhere at all. But yes a plenty of people working in the MacDs and food joints in sydney were indians (and a couple of fijians) and when you need to interact with people 24X7 like that , there a bound to be a few incidents here and there.

Police shot a guy today as he was threatening them with a knife. here is another desi attacked .like most of the attacks this one isnt racist either.. but whats happening to Aus :wall:

NEW DELHI: Even as the Australian government continues to promise strict action against those who attack Indians in their backyard, a television report suggests that another attack took place in Melbourne on 20-year-old Nardeep Singh, who was on his way to attend college. ( Watch ) The victim of the attack, who came to Australia just a month back, hails from Ludhiana. He is a nursing student at the Chisholm Technical Institute in the city and was attacked on his way to college on Tuesday (June 2) morning. He was reportedly assaulted by at least 5 men, which included two Australians. He was attacked at a car park, where these 5 men asked him for cigarettes. When he replied that he was a non-smoker, the group asked him for money. When Nardeep refused to give them, one of the attackers stabbed him in his chest. Nardeep, however, escaped further assaults and reached the police station, where his statement was recorded. Nardeep's roommate said that he was stabbed, which was followed by excessive bleeding. Nardeep is currently under observation in a Melbourne hospital.

WTF

ruddburning-420x0.jpg The Indian media's coverage of the plight of Indian students in Australia has been "irresponsible" and could backfire on Indians who have lived here for years, a local community leader fears. Yadu Singh, a Sydney cardiologist, has viewed with growing anger the pronouncements about Australia by the Indian press, after violence against Indian students in Sydney and Melbourne came under the spotlight last week. Headlines such as "Australia, land of racists" have led to loud street protests in Australia and India, with an effigy of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd set alight in India. Dr Singh, who heads a committee at the Indian consulate looking at Indian student issues, labelled the reporting "irresponsible". "There is a problem with Indian media and Indian leadership - they can't assess a situation in a rational way," he said. "It's the high competition in that industry. They all get on the bandwagon and say 'Oh racism', but it's not like that. "Something like this happens and they think: 'The whole world is against us.' I mean, burning effigies of Kevin Rudd ... come on. "This is not a racist country. Every country has one or two racists. "When Australian [missionary] Graham Staines was burnt to death [by Hindu extremists in January 1999], did everyone call India racist? No." Dr Singh believed Australians were "outraged with the way Indian media" was smearing the country. He feared the outrage could mask the genuine issues faced by Indian students, who Dr Singh said were over-represented in robbery statistics in Melbourne and also faced exploitation by employers. He also feared there could be a backlash against other Australians of Indian heritage, many of whom had lived here for years. "I was at a function last night with other Indians [well-established in Australia] - other doctors and lawyers - we were all saying this game has to stop," Dr Singh said. "We are not suffering. We are doing well in Australia." Dr Singh said his committee was working to educate Indian students about behaviour that placed them at risk of being targeted, such as travelling alone on trains, walking and dressing "without confidence", and identifying themselves as recent arrivals in Australia by speaking loudly in their native language. Police also needed to acknowledge that Indian students were being targeted as soft targets, Dr Singh said. The range of views on the attacks in India were reflected in recent blog posts by two Bollywood megastars, Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan. Bachchan, known as "Big B" and the most famous of Indian actors, turned down an honorary doctorate from the Queensland University of Technology as a result of the furore. But Bollywood heart-throb Khan, who called for a stronger response to the violence from Australian authorities, also pleaded with fans to view things in perspective. "And while we want action to be taken by authorities in Australia, equally we should remember all the various crimes against foreigners who visit India," he wrote.

Damn it's not as though Kevin Rudd is hurting these people! I hate that, I remember when some Indians were burning the Australian flag too, found that silly. What they dont realise is that they are just as bad.. ok maybe not as bad but what they are doing by burning a picture of Kevin Rudd is just plain stupid, what would that achieve? To call the whole nation racist is very very disrespectful. But AGAIN, it is just a select few, I am sure, this is part of life unfortunately you will always get them people, it is impossible for it to end. But bloody hell I hope these attacks stop, it's getting out of hand..

Most Indians going abroad immediately try and find Indian shops and Indian neighbourhoods in their city of residence. Sure, it's comforting to live in these areas but shouldn't you have lived in India if you wanted such environs? What's the point in living in a new place if you don't even make an effort to integrate yourself with mainstream society? This 'ghetto' mentality leads to angst amongst the 'natives' culminating in such attacks.

Damn it's not as though Kevin Rudd is hurting these people! I hate that, I remember when some Indians were burning the Australian flag too, found that silly. What they dont realise is that they are just as bad.. ok maybe not as bad but what they are doing by burning a picture of Kevin Rudd is just plain stupid, what would that achieve? To call the whole nation racist is very very disrespectful. But AGAIN, it is just a select few, I am sure, this is part of life unfortunately you will always get them people, it is impossible for it to end. But bloody hell I hope these attacks stop, it's getting out of hand..
Well all thats a typically scripted drama that is raised every time something happens.Indians and indian media do have this habit to hype things up to make them more noticeable. India lose a cricket match and photos of players are burnt on the street. Kevin Ruud's photos being burnt doesnt necessarily mean a bad thing. It just means he is getting popular in india :P All this crap might really overshadow the real issues and we need a sane handling of it.

Well all thats a typically scripted drama that is raised every time something happens.Indians and indian media do have this habit to hype things up to make them more noticeable. India lose a cricket match and photos of players are burnt on the street. Kevin Ruud's photos being burnt doesnt necessarily mean a bad thing. It just means he is getting popular in india :P All this crap might really overshadow the real issues and we need a sane handling of it.
I remember yesterday Arnab was almost shouting in anger in an interview with an Australian minister during his popular news show

the govt must be worried , australia has a lots of jobs dependent on Tourism and education industry ... I know these is racism here and there but now I think desi media is milking these story ...the desi student got attcked by junkies most of them werent even white ... I think victoria police has a lot of work to do .. Melbourne was never this unsafe ...

Most Indians going abroad immediately try and find Indian shops and Indian neighbourhoods in their city of residence. Sure' date=' it's comforting to live in these areas but shouldn't you have lived in India if you wanted such environs? [b']What's the point in living in a new place if you don't even make an effort to integrate yourself with mainstream society? This 'ghetto' mentality leads to angst amongst the 'natives' culminating in such attacks.
253474athe-new-one-hundred-dollar-bill-posters.jpg