Minority Report type browsing is almost here

Zap_Brannigan

Remember the way Tom Cruise used his hands in the air to control the computer and wished we could do the same. Today, in E3, MS unveiled a camera technology that makes this possible. I've known about this camera for a long time. It was formerly known as 3DV and was created by an Israeli company, which MS bought last year, as a tool to use in gaming. MS 1st priority is to use to play games without anything other than your body (now you can finally play that air guitar or cricket with out palms) but i am sure this can be used for normal computer browsing. The camera supposedly costs less than 100$ so its even affordable. But its still a few months from mass production. I've never been excited for a tech before. oACt9R9z37U

wats the diff between this and wi-fii?
Difference is that you don't need anything.No controllers or remotes. In a few years, with this technology, you can control all your media from your couch with hand gestures and with no remote. Big features this tech posses are that you dont need a background anymore (no more green screen that other motion capture camera uses), you dont need light in the room (cos it has IR something something), it can measure depth and precise angle of joints and its quiet cheap.

This is a significant development. Till now, Apple has always led Microsoft, when it came to releasing products that were considered technologically superior. The iPod just took off, while the Zoon flopped miserably. This is probably the first sign that MS is fighting back in its battle against Apple. I understand that Apple isn’t exactly in the gaming business, but hey, they were in the business of building phones previously were they?

Canesta TV came out with its 3D user interface (technology demonstration) a little before Microsoft's gesture control system, Project Natal (based on technology acquired from 3DV). uR27dPHI7dQ
This can be more frustrating than a remote. Lets say I am watching a tense cricket match and my friend asks if I want to come out and i just gesture no and go away with my hand and there goes my channel and I would lose the channel in the browsing menu too. I would not like that to happen to me.:nono:

This can be more frustrating than a remote. Lets say I am watching a tense cricket match and my friend asks if I want to come out and i just gesture no and go away with my hand and there goes my channel and I would lose the channel in the browsing menu too. I would not like that to happen to me.:nono:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

A simple camera or a motion sensor which only tracks the movement can be annoying with more than 1 person in the room and with people walking behind you. It will also be difficult to differentiate between your motion and the background if its the same colour. That is the main reason, that even with these technologies before it hasn't caught on and that is exactly why the MS Project Natal is a huge step forward. It basically creates a wireframe of all the objects in the room like a 3D model of the room that it can detect a human properly. It also tracks 48 points on your body which can be used to control it accurately. Along with facial and voice recognition, it can easily differentiate between the person controlling it and the person that is screwing around in the same room.

Some of that technology is being used in modern advertising systems. They are using them in malls on tv screens. There are small cameras on top of the tv screen. These cameras can detect motion and more. So they know and count how many people are watching the ads. Its tracks eyeballs and so it knows whether they are looking at the screen or elsewhere. It can also read the anatomy to determine whether the person is male/female, short/tall etc.