Raina & Rohit - Future Pillars of Team India?

Guest Gunner
in b4 Yuvi fans. With all seriousness though, it is baffling how he can be such a underachiever with all that talent. I think he will get another couple of series to prove his worth in the team. Again, it seems like he doesn't want to fight for the runs, and I thought he'd proved this notion wrong with his knocks against England, but it was a bit shocking to see him bat against NZ. Nevertheless, with the talent he possesses, he can be a very good player if he wishes to be. It remains to be seen.
I agree with you that for all his monstrous talent he is a huge underachiever. I have said this before on these boards and I will say it again Yuvraj Singh is a huge disappointment for all his talent. If he does prove me wrong in the next couple of series more power to Indian cricket. Believe me I will be happier for Yuvraj than all the crazy jats you have on this website.:finger::finger: In seriousness, Yuvraj's batting in Australia in the 2007-08 series was cringeworthy and a year later in NZ it wasn't a lot better under a much weaker attack. He has problems with quality fast bowling when they tend to test him with difficult lines for a prolonged period of time, he has problems with quality spin bowling (still hasn't figured out which way the ball is gonna go) and finally as a test cricketer he doesn't have the state of mind of perfect balance. Look at all our great players, all of them are/were in the zone when playing a test match and their off field life and behaviour reflected that. And then look at Yuvraj...
Pillars in what ? T20 and ODIs.May be .I am looking forwad to their test match performances.
You hit the nail right on the head..you can never ever predict how a batsman will fair in Tests going by his LOI performances..could come back to bite you. I think thats the mistake we all have been making in this thread. Yuvraj Singh provides ample testimony to this fact.
Guest Gunner
You hit the nail right on the head..you can never ever predict how a batsman will fair in Tests going by his LOI performances..could come back to bite you. I think thats the mistake we all have been making in this thread. Yuvraj Singh provides ample testimony to this fact.
Not really. With the technique, timing and quality which Rohit Sharma seems to possess, if he cannot make it into the Indian test team believe me, we have serious problems and then some. I never felt that about Yuvraj Singh as a test match batsman at any point in time and his performance last year in Australia was the finally nail in the coffin. I have been watching test cricket for a very long time now, close to 20 years. I have been more or less able to predict the guys who will stick in the Indian test team over the years. I back my pick in Rohit Sharma.
Guest gaurav_indian
Not really. With the technique, timing and quality which Rohit Sharma seems to possess, if he cannot make it into the Indian test team believe me, we have serious problems and then some. I never felt that about Yuvraj Singh as a test match batsman at any point in time and his performance last year in Australia was the finally nail in the coffin. I have been watching test cricket for a very long time now, close to 20 years. I have been more or less able to predict the guys who will stick in the Indian test team over the years. I back my pick in Rohit Sharma.
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

I've said this many times before (on ICF) that Rohit Sharma is going to be our next great batsman. He is up there with the likes of Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Damien Martyn, Mark Waugh, etc. in terms of how easy he makes batting look, when he is on form. That being said, he still has a lot to work on. He needs to convert these starts into big scores. Over the past year Suresh Raina has taken his game to another level (by doing just that) and looks like he has cemented his place in our limited overs side. Both very very good prospects

They are both gonna be legends. The percieved weakness against the short stuff from Raina is BS. Typical rubbish sterotyping of indian players. Just like some comms still waffle about yuvi against short stuff and even sehwag! Its all bull
I don't think it is BS, he definitely looks uncomfortable against the surprise quick bouncer
They are both gonna be legends. The percieved weakness against the short stuff from Raina is BS. Typical rubbish sterotyping of indian players. Just like some comms still waffle about yuvi against short stuff and even sehwag! Its all bull
:giggle: