Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain

There is already a manager with the team in all series.
Apparently, Shastri is going to do double duty. Accoding to IBN he is coach & manager.
Can you say the same thing about the Sehwags, Yuvrajs, and Uthappas though?
Shwetab, A coach can only see where someone can bat in the order. He's not going to change the way they bat. Batsmen tend to stick to their natural way of batting when they are on the field. Shastri maybe able to give tips on where to adjust the tempo in an innings. I dont rate him as a good player but he has sound ideas and good decision making skills. You need someone with a clear mind to coach the team at this moment. Too much ideas pumped through a funnel is not gonna work with these bunch of players.
Dravid and Tendulkar have no less a cricketing brain and strategies. We need a bowling coach, no doubt. However, the coach should be one with proven credentials of having gelled a strong team, with strong work ethics.
Sure they do but we need someone to call the shots and that's gonna be Shastri and on the field Dravid if he's made captian. Tendulkar and Dravid has good brains but to keep all the puzzles together you need someone who can think outside the box and not play on the field. The high profile coaches tend to create confusion among highly opinionated Indian group of players and administrators.

Shastri can also do a triple duty - of media manager :wtg:
how about opener and spinner as well? :lmao:
if shastri and ganguly open together then be prepared to see scores like 175/1 in 47 overs.

:hic: and commentary in the remaining time
Shastri told CNN-IBN that he is leaving for Singapore and that he has contractual commitments to clear up. So I guess he won't be doing commentary. :hmph: jf1, shastri actually knew how to accelerate in ODIs. It is in tests where he would crawl from ball 1.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain Its hard to say. In my opinion. Good for SRT but I doubt Dravid. Good for Medium pacers but not for spinners. Good for fielders but not for captain. I have seen often that he would suggest a score of 260+ for us as safe and if we score 250, the opposition would get it with 3-4 down quite easily. Also about who should bat/bowl first. But that was quite long back. I think we will improve fast from here on. GOOD LUCK INDIA.. :hmph:

Things i like about Ravi Shastri: 1) He is a forward thinking, non political individual. Gavaskar is the opposite, who is an old school, politicial individual. 2) Ravi doesnt give a damn about reputations. Tendu or Ganguly cannot sit on their laurels for too long without performing under him. Whereas Gavaskar is very biased towards our high profile stars & believes in rendering unconditional support to them. 3) Ravi was considered one of the best cricketing brains of his times & prolly the best captain we never had.
and in addition to that... 4) He is a very articulate person and given his vast experience with the media; he will know exactly how to handle them and bring them on our side with the right sweet-talk. He may not have been a great cricketer but he comes across as a very affable personality and the players should enjoy working with him. Anyway, regardless of how he does - it's only an interim position, so experience or credentials don't really come into the picture. Someone needs to warm up the chair for Whatmore.

jf1, shastri actually knew how to accelerate in ODIs. It is in tests where he would crawl from ball 1.
kya bol rahe ho sir, i remember shastri ' hai hai ' as soon he used to come out to bat and everytime we needed quick runs he used to come down the track and block. Only good game i remember was during our first trip to SA he came down the order and won the game with some big hitting.

jf1, shastri actually knew how to accelerate in ODIs. It is in tests where he would crawl from ball 1.
kya bol rahe ho sir, i remember shastri ' hai hai ' as soon he used to come out to bat and everytime we needed quick runs he used to come down the track and block. Only good game i remember was during our first trip to SA he came down the order and won the game with some big hitting.
With limited ability he did won quite a few matches.

Re: Breaking news: Ravi Shastri interim coach, Dravid captain He seems to be a little head-strong though...and we know what happend to the indian team when there was a head-strong person in charge... But among Indian contenders , Ravi is the best choice.. And Even if Ravi isnt made the coach , please dont make Gavaskar as one. From the years and years of listenin to his commentary , i can confidently say 1) he has got little cricketing acumen. Almost all the time his commentary is about of how the batsmen played a loose shot or missed out on a potential scoring opportunity. I am sure he knows zero about bowling. 2) He seems to be obsessed with records. While commentating , whenever a batsmen gets to a 100 , he would ask them to score a couple of runs more just in case a couple of the previous runs turned out to be byes or leg byes..