IPL 6th most valuable sporting brand in the world

Two things : 1. How much of an effect will India's poor T20 WC performance have on IPL now that the novelty of the tournament has worn off. It was India's T20 WC win which propelled IPL in the first place and another poor performance in next years T20 WC could see IPL taking a hit. 2. While things like NFL, MLB, Nascar etc. represent the absolute best quality of their respective sports, IPL is distinctly mediocre. It's the growing middle class and cricket crazy public of India which has made it such a big name, but on the quality front it doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to the top. So yeah, IPL might become a big brand name but is unlikely to be respected for quality sport.
I dont think IPL is mediocre. We feel like that because we compare T20 with test cricket. Otherwise IPL is a great competition.

they are there because of the artificial limit placed on teams which limits them to just 4 foregin players.none of the other leagues like premier league ,mlb have such limits-nobody will watch them otherwise.this lmit of 4 players will gradually increase to 6 or more or go away altogether as its not sustainable.teams dont want their best players cooling their heels.any new league needs some local players to start up.

Oh please! Are you trying to tell me Dhinda and Agarkar bowling to Suman and Venugopal Rao is not downright mediocre cricket even if it's T20?
ther will be mrdiocres in every league.....imagine muttiah muralitharan bowling to sachin or dale steyn to smith or shane warne to dravid or mcgrath to hayden................
Two things : 1. How much of an effect will India's poor T20 WC performance have on IPL now that the novelty of the tournament has worn off. It was India's T20 WC win which propelled IPL in the first place and another poor performance in next years T20 WC could see IPL taking a hit. 2. While things like NFL, MLB, Nascar etc. represent the absolute best quality of their respective sports, IPL is distinctly mediocre. It's the growing middle class and cricket crazy public of India which has made it such a big name, but on the quality front it doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to the top. So yeah, IPL might become a big brand name but is unlikely to be respected for quality sport.
1. I thought about it too but I believe that it wont be a big problem since most teams supporters haven cared much about their Indian players in this years IPL. 2. Not baseball. Out of Basketball, football and baseball, only 1 had a proper world cup. The last 2 world cup of baseball had a better quality play compared with world series. If my memory is correct, US never made it to the finals of either.

another thing-what is so great about the premier league in britain anyway?.what other teams apart from MANu,chelsea and Arsenal have won it in recent times?.i cant even remember the last time that happened?where is the parity ?.the rich teams are outspending the smaller clubs.if there was a cap on foregin players in the premier league i can guarantee noboby will watch it-not for the scintillating english footballing talent anyway.

ther will be mrdiocres in every league.....imagine muttiah muralitharan bowling to sachin or dale steyn to smith or shane warne to dravid or mcgrath to hayden................
they are there because of the artificial limit placed on teams which limits them to just 4 foregin players.none of the other leagues like premier league ' date='mlb have such limits-nobody will watch them otherwise.this lmit of 4 players will gradually increase to 6 or more or go away altogether as its not sustainable.teams dont want their best players cooling their heels.any new league needs some local players to start up.[/quote'] Top level contests in IPL don't happen often. Most teams do not play more than 2-3 international level bowlers and 3-4 international level batsmen, so half the time the circket is distinctly mediocre. The general fielding standards are ordinary. I think the Indian audience which follows IPL is at a point where they'll follow anything in the name of cricket and excitement. Even ICL attracted some decent sized crowds and the standard of cricket there was not even mediocre. Modi was pretty firm on the 4 foreign player rule when he was questioned this year. We are surely not going to see any increase for the next year and if there is an increase after that don't expect it to be more than 1 player at least for the next 3 years or so. Moreover, there are plans to include 2 more teams in the league which will dilute the quality even more.

cowboys, Redskins is one of the most famous teams in USA regardless of its pathetic display in football over the years. and you can't beat that simply. There is a huge fan following for that team.. Just like there is for Washington Nationals. Any Washington team would have big fan following

no doubt tics-they do have a following-not as much as the cowboys though,not even close. anyway here is the official list in terms of net worth (for what its worth) Forbes Top 10 Most Valuable Sports Franchises (Values in Billions) 1. Manchester United $1.8 2. Dallas Cowboys $1.6 3. Washington Redskins $1.5 4. New England Patriots $1.32 5. New York Yankees $1.3 6. Real Madrid $1.29 7. Arsenal $1.2 8. New York Giants $1.18 9. New York Jets $1.17 10. Houston Texans $1.17

no doubt tics-they do have a following-not as much as the cowboys though,not even close. anyway here is the official list in terms of net worth (for what its worth) Forbes Top 10 Most Valuable Sports Franchises (Values in Billions) 1. Manchester United $1.8 2. Dallas Cowboys $1.6 3. Washington Redskins $1.5 4. New England Patriots $1.32 5. New York Yankees $1.3 6. Real Madrid $1.29 7. Arsenal $1.2 :icflove: 8. New York Giants $1.18 9. New York Jets $1.17 10. Houston Texans $1.17
no doubt tics-they do have a following-not as much as the cowboys though,not even close. anyway here is the official list in terms of net worth (for what its worth) Forbes Top 10 Most Valuable Sports Franchises (Values in Billions) 1. Manchester United $1.8 2. Dallas Cowboys $1.6 3. Washington Redskins $1.5 4. New England Patriots $1.32 5. New York Yankees $1.3 6. Real Madrid $1.29:icflove::yay::dance: 7. Arsenal $1.2 8. New York Giants $1.18 9. New York Jets $1.17 10. Houston Texans $1.17
can you give the link to the above mentioned forbes list?
Unfortunately i cannot. It was back in 2006 or 2007. I remember reading the article back then but there is nothing more than a random blurb on the internet about it currently. I searched the forbes website and cannot find the archives.

This is amazing, now I know why ICC actually thinks BCCI will overpower it one day :D But still...IPL is a joke. If they want to globalize this more, they have got to stop doing the filmfare models awards in the next one. I'm not going to support it one bit if they pull that **** again. The circus they pulled in last time at the end of the IPL finals with Akon and crap was just embarrassing. edit : Also, this signals that World Cup 2011 figures might also break some records. It should be twice as big than IPL at least with the India vs matches.