Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough

Don

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough

Oh well Dhondy, explain it to me. How can inflencing a senior player would get a junior in the team? Afterall, captain is the only player present in the selection meeting. Please explain.
For example a senior and jr who happen to be batsmenare endorsing the same product and same agent.The jr is about to lose his contract......the senior declares he is not fit for that match so that his ad buddy gets to play the match and save his contract.In return the sr gets loyalty and maybe a return of this favour.

Chandan, you obviously want to believe that all is honourable and good in the cricketers' garden, and it may well be so. But do try and not be naive. Have you never heard of conflict between two paymasters? A doctor works for a hospital. He also does private practice. The hospital suffers because he spends more time with his private patients than he should. Medicine is a noble profession, is it not? An IAS Officer, sworn in to uphold the nation's interests, favours certain businessmen because they fatten his bank account. Doesn't happen? Yet, a cricketer scoring a slow fifty to retain his place in the team and by extension, his myriad sponsorship deals, is totally implausible to you? Or the idea that a senior bowler might withhold tips from a junior, or even undermine him, because he doesn't want to lose his place to him, and thereby the sponsorship deals that are worth many multiples of his annual contract? Presumably, you have never heard of corporate rewards made to clients for refering other clients? Listen, cartels are not exclusive to Columbian drug smugglers. And you don't become a bad fan because you open your eyes to the ground realities.
agree....Some teachers don't teach in class but their tuition classes are overflowing.

I am surprised you aren't outraged at the kind of clauses in these contracts which clearly are detrimental to the team. I know we don't have official copies of these contracts' date=' but this is what we have to discuss with, for now.[/quote'] Yoda, if these clauses are indeed there, tell me how were we able to win even a single match in last 4-5 years?
We can still win with players troddling from 90s to 100s or from 40s to 50s if others have accelerated or if these players themselves have accelerated prior to or after reaching the milestone. Of course opponents can be pretty bad too.

written above as BS.
In case a player is not part of the team for three months, earlier it was six, he stands to forfeit his guarantee money.
Have u ever wondered why our injured super stars RUSH into the team, even when half fit and can barely hold the bat ? Either they are so patriotic that they wanna win games for their country at all costs or they are simply mercenaries who dont want to miss an opportunity to fill their pockets. Which one looks more probable ?
Bumper, My simple question is, it is selectors who select them. Why were they selected if they were half fit? It is the physio and BCCI doctor who pass a player fit or unfit. Are you saying that selectors, physio, board doctor...everyone gets money if even a half fit player rushes back to the team? If so, what is the board doing for them? Why don't the board sack such dishonest personnels? Or the board shares the money too. As for VCs, don't the selectors decide about it as well?? So how can a player be blamed for being named a VC?
But ur argument is devious tho. Agreed, in our culture we tend to treat super-stars differently. We assume they are fit, when they say so. But its the responsibility of the players to communicate their fitness properly to the selectors and the staff. Many times, the player may barely pass the fitness test, but may not be ready for the rigors of a test match, leave alone a series. How do u fitness test a tennis elbow & guarantee that on passing fitness test, the player will be fully fit for the test series ? The player can hide his pain & still pass the test, but wont be half as effective, come game time.

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough You think a player will do so much sacrifice just for money and the physical fitness test, physio's report, doctor's reports are just sham? Or they are just dummies in players' hand? Think of it Bumper: Who would you believe? The players or the media or the BCCI officer? Your choice will be very clear! The day I'd get the proof that all the players are putting money ahead of their team-results, I'll stop following cricket.

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough The inneundos against SRT and Gangs from fans says it all. If you guys want to believe the gutter press, then go ahead but that doesn't make it the truth. If SRT/Gangs come back from an injury prematurely, it's coz they did it lest they lose out on some endorsements? But if Dravid does it, then people applaud him for playing through the pain barrier no matter how pathetic his performance?(Case in point, RSA test series when he came back after having his thumb broken). Talk about double standards. I seriously hate this hero propping at the expense of two other legends. Why can't one be praised without putting down the other(s)?

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough I don't like even one player being put down. Are we still the the victims of English "divide and rule "policy? We can't have faith in our players who dedicate their life to this beautiful game...for us? Shame on we fans!!!

The inneundos against SRT and Gangs from fans says it all. If you guys want to believe the gutter press' date=' then go ahead but that doesn't make it the truth. If SRT/Gangs come back from an injury prematurely, it's coz they did it lest they lose out on some endorsements? But if Dravid does it, then people applaud him for playing through the pain barrier no matter how pathetic his performance?(Case in point, RSA test series when he came back after having his thumb broken). Talk about double standards. I seriously hate this hero propping at the expense of two other legends. Why can't one be praised without putting down the other(s)?[/quote'] Who applauded Dravid in SA ? Certainly not me! No unfit player deserves to wear our national colors, to poop in front of a billion fans. And where did Ganguly come into this discussion ? He makes a nice alibi for your hero, perhaps ? :hic: Tell us this pls: Do u think Tendu was test-match fit when he played the BG trophy in '04 ? If so, then why was his fitness again in question before the Ind-Pak'05 series, which was played months after the BG trophy ? And he was clearly sidelined for MONTHS (and if whats written in the article is true, on the verge of losing his guarantee money ?), before the BG trophy.

Chandan, you obviously want to believe that all is honourable and good in the cricketers' garden, and it may well be so. But do try and not be naive. Have you never heard of conflict between two paymasters? A doctor works for a hospital. He also does private practice. The hospital suffers because he spends more time with his private patients than he should. Medicine is a noble profession, is it not? An IAS Officer, sworn in to uphold the nation's interests, favours certain businessmen because they fatten his bank account. Doesn't happen? Yet, a cricketer scoring a slow fifty to retain his place in the team and by extension, his myriad sponsorship deals, is totally implausible to you? Or the idea that a senior bowler might withhold tips from a junior, or even undermine him, because he doesn't want to lose his place to him, and thereby the sponsorship deals that are worth many multiples of his annual contract? Presumably, you have never heard of corporate rewards made to clients for refering other clients? Listen, cartels are not exclusive to Columbian drug smugglers. And you don't become a bad fan because you open your eyes to the ground realities.
the doc has done it again.... nice post....

Who applauded Dravid in SA ? Certainly not me! No unfit player deserves to wear our national colors, to poop in front of a billion fans. And where did Ganguly come into this discussion ? He makes a nice alibi for your hero, perhaps ? :hic:
I remember some post where a poster said Dravid can play through the pain barrier and he should play. And my point was, why don't you bring this Dravid instance up to support your argument that our seniors rush back from injuries for ad money? Or is Dravid exempt from such inneundos? Are they only for SRT? Double standards like I said earlier.
Tell us this pls: Do u think Tendu was test-match fit when he played the BG trophy in '04 ? If so, then why was his fitness again in question before the Ind-Pak'05 series, which was played months after the BG trophy ? And he was clearly sidelined for MONTHS (and if whats written in the article is true, on the verge of losing his guarantee money ?), before the BG trophy.
How the hell do I know if he was match fit or not? All I know is that he helped us win a test against them. Regarding Ind-Pak '05, again, I don't know if he was match fit or not but he still made 94,52,52,41,16. BTW before the BG trophy, how was he sidelined for MONTHS? Ind came back from Pak in May, played Asia Cup in July and then ICCCT in Sept. BG started in October. Sachin only missed ICCCT.

I don't like even one player being put down. Are we still the the victims of English "divide and rule "policy? We can't have faith in our players who dedicate their life to this beautiful game...for us? Shame on we fans!!!
Its precisely this kinda fan our cricketers hope to exploit. They want us to be naive & be their prey. These slouchs have had our backing for a long time & havent delivered squat. And in the process, have made tons & tons of money, that u & I can only dream of. Our cricket has reached its nadir. To add insult to injury we hear mafia stories, well orchestrated money driven stunts etc about cricketers we most respected & adored. How much more a fan can take ? Its time for us fans to revisit the trust & hope we had vested on these cricketers & wonder if these guys are really worth our fan following. Heck, theres gotta be atleast 10% truth in what is written in the media. I am not naive enuff to believe everything is false and our cricketers are clean. There aint smoke without fire.

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough I wouldn't accuse specific players unless I can see their contracts and try to corroborate with mysterious behavor by the said player. But this is enough info to conclude that the BCCI was right in trying to clamp down on these ads, mainly the issue of "shady" performance related clauses in those contracts.

How the hell do I know if he was match fit or not? All I know is that he helped us win a test against them. Regarding Ind-Pak '05, again, I don't know if he was match fit or not but he still made 94,52,52,41,16. BTW before the BG trophy, how was he sidelined for MONTHS? Ind came back from Pak in May, played Asia Cup in July and then ICCCT in Sept. BG started in October. Sachin only missed ICCCT.
I only questioned his fitness for the BG trophy. He was clearly not test match fit, for this series. At best he was half fit and may have gotten reinjured. Because he was deemed uncertain for the Ind-Pak'05 series until the last minute. And he was injured for long enuff time (close to 2-2.5 months, i think) before the BG trophy. IIRC, Dhondy even wrote about how tennis elbow takes a long time to heal & there was some quick remedy that could be tried for healing this in 6 weeks or so. Anyways, u believe what u want to. It will be clear if SRT is playing for the right reasons in the next year or so. Time will tell.

I don't like even one player being put down. Are we still the the victims of English "divide and rule "policy? We can't have faith in our players who dedicate their life to this beautiful game...for us? Shame on we fans!!!
Its precisely this kinda fan our cricketers hope to exploit. They want us to be naive & be their prey. These slouchs have had our backing for a long time & havent delivered squat. And in the process, have made tons & tons of money, that u & I can only dream of. Our cricket has reached its nadir. To add insult to injury we hear mafia stories, well orchestrated money driven stunts etc about cricketers we most respected & adored. How much more a fan can take ? Its time for us fans to revisit the trust & hope we had vested on these cricketers & wonder if these guys are really worth our fan following. Heck, theres gotta be atleast 10% truth in what is written in the media. I am not naive enuff to believe everything is false and our cricketers are clean. There aint smoke without fire.
Sorry Bumper, but I think BCCI is exploiting fans like you. They might do anything, there is no one to question, but if a player appears in a few ads, all hell breaks lose! Mind you,a player gets ads only because of his performance. If he stops performing, he loses those ads automatically. Does anyone remember Ganguly and he Hero-Honda bat? Dinesh Mongia culled from the Samsung group ad and now even Kaif has been culled? Why did BCCI need to jump the gun? Because they don't to share whatever money they're getting from cricket with anyone. I'm really disappointed to see this kind of attitude in fans here who'll NEVER complain about BCCI not doing anything for cricket but will jump on the players even if they're earning money legally. It is really sad!

Re: Player-agent nexus forces BCCI to act tough Chandan, if the team were winning no one will complain. Cause the players suck on the field, we want to know if there are off-field issues like these "shady" contracts which are affecting their performance. BCCI, as inept as they may be, do not play on the field, and we don't stay awake to watch them.

Chandan' date=' if the team were winning no one will complain. Cause the players suck on the field, we want to know if there are off-field issues like these "shady" contracts which are affecting their performance. BCCI, as inept as they may be, do not play on the field, and we don't stay awake to watch them.[/quote'] Just read this comment of yours again, Yoda. You mean to say that when we were winning in 2003, our players had lesser number of ads, or their attitude was different? Or their agents were gentlemen and didn't demand the things they are demanding now which are "shady" according to you? Don't you need to back your players when they've lost and are down? Or are you the fans only when they're winning?

Chandan' date=' if the team were winning no one will complain. Cause the players suck on the field, we want to know if there are off-field issues like these "shady" contracts which are affecting their performance. BCCI, as inept as they may be, do not play on the field, and we don't stay awake to watch them.[/quote'] Just read this comment of yours again, Yoda. You mean to say that when we were winning in 2003, our players had lesser number of ads, or their attitude was different? Or their agents were gentlemen and didn't demand the things they are demanding now which are "shady" according to you? Don't you need to back your players when they've lost and are down? Or are you the fans only when they're winning?
No, I am saying that when we were winning, a lot of us could care less about contracts, cause we only were watching the team for the wins. We will always back our players when they play, which means if they play tomorrow we will support them and hope and pray they win against anyone. In between, if there is suspicion of shady deals, we are more than happy for them to get checked out, especially when there is a widespread feeling that some of these contracts could be detrimental to the team cause. We are not BLIND supporters. When we second guess them for on-field issues like playing cricket when we know that is their specialty, what is wrong in second guessing them for their off-field issues when they aren't expected to be saints there?

In between, if there is suspicion of shady deals, we are more than happy for them to get checked out, especially when there is a widespread feeling that some of these contracts could be detrimental to the team cause.
How could you get this feeling? Because you read it in the media? The same media which said that Greg has said this and that about the players but actually he didn't say any of such things? The same media which has been writing anything just to get attention? Do believe on what a respected journalist says like Harsha or Ayaz Memon or Rajaraman. But you'd rather believe what what TOI reports than believe what your players are saying just because they lost few matches? Thats a terrible way of backing them when they are down and need our support.

In between' date=' if there is suspicion of shady deals, we are more than happy for them to get checked out, especially when [i']there is a widespread feeling that some of these contracts could be detrimental to the team cause.
How could you get this feeling? Because you read it in the media? The same media which said that Greg has said this and that about the players but actually he didn't say any of such things? The same media which has been writing anything just to get attention? Do believe on what a respected journalist says like Harsha or Ayaz Memon or Rajaraman. But you'd rather believe what what TOI reports than believe what your players are saying just because they lost few matches? Thats a terrible way of backing them when they are down and need our support.
Contract situation apart, some of our players have lost support because of their poor performance not just in the WC, but in tournaments preceeding as well. Some ground was made during the twin home series only to have all disappeared during the WC. Some of us want wholesale changes with or without the contract issue. Frankly, there is really no one to support cause they all suck. :shrug: