Ponting in the Ashes

Mamu

Won't put money on it. Not 100% sure of this' date=' but according to my brother his highest score at Lords in a test is 42. Will have to verify if it's true.[/quote'] ^ thats right. he hasnt made a century at lords before. even england haven't won an ashes test at lords since 1934. sometimes such long standing records are broken and today is the time for ponting to blast a century...B->
ponting is the non-striker when hughes goes out caught. if he lives by his principle.. why doesnt he just let the batsman accept the fielder's words? in fact.. he's asking hughes to stay back.. wat an ass
Well he is the capatain, if you look at it, it was the same as yesterdays, more clear in my opinion. If Bopara went yesterday, then I'm pretty sure Ponting wouldn't of sent Hughes back.
Well he is the capatain, if you look at it, it was the same as yesterdays, more clear in my opinion. If Bopara went yesterday, then I'm pretty sure Ponting wouldn't of sent Hughes back.
Thats exactly what i'm telling you brother.. are values and principles compromised once the opposition doesnt follow suit.. huh? if you have decided to practice truth, no matter what, whether others follow or not, irrespective of what they think about you, you need to stand by it till your last breath. ever read gandhi's "experiment with truth"? thats what we are taught in schools. when gandhi decided to take non-violence as the weapon to fight the british raj, he never once flinched when the british govt let loose a barrage of violent measures to curb the freedom movement. thats wat great men are made of..
Thats exactly what i'm telling you brother.. are values and principles compromised once the opposition doesnt follow suit.. huh? if you have decided to practice truth, no matter what, whether others follow or not, irrespective of what they think about you, you need to stand by it till your last breath. ever read gandhi's "experiment with truth"? thats what we are taught in schools. when gandhi decided to take non-violence as the weapon to fight the british raj, he never once flinched when the british govt let loose a barrage of violent measures to curb the freedom movement. thats wat great men are made of..
You make a fair point, but in answer to your first one, in Pontings character YES. And that is the case with many players, not just Ponting. This isn't an issue of cheating or anything, it's about evening it up, keeping your team in the game, this is the ashes we are talking about. We have had many tough calls go against us in this game, so if he has the chance to change one, as a captain you have to take it. Unless it was someone like Gilly, I don't think many people would of done much different. Especially considering on replay, it did not look out. If England aren't willing to take our word for it, then why should we take their word for it? You answer that for me.

Ponting is really pumped. The bat is coming down straight, the footwork is decisive and he is fighting his poor record at Lords here. Among all the current players, he has the best 4th innings record, the mark of a street fighter. To the sceptics here, forget all the controversy about his demeanour and take a good long look at how one of the greatest batsmen of this era gives an object lesson on battling adversity. He is not going to be around for ever, and as I said in another thread, it will be while before somebody quite in the same class comes around.

Ponting is really pumped. The bat is coming down straight, the footwork is decisive and he is fighting his poor record at Lords here. Among all the current players, he has the best 4th innings record, the mark of a street fighter. To the sceptics here, forget all the controversy about his demeanour and take a good long look at how one of the greatest batsmen of this era gives an object lesson on battling adversity. He is not going to be around for ever, and as I said in another thread, it will be while before somebody quite in the same class comes around.
Not to deny Ponting's class, but as I have mentioned before as well, his 4th innings average and record is overrated. Many of those runs have come in pressure free situations where the team was chasing low 4th innings total. He has not played any significant 4th innings knock in the subcontinent or the WI(excluding the century against the eternal whipping boys), where wear and tear on the pitch is most.
Not to deny Ponting's class' date=' but as I have mentioned before as well, his 4th innings average and record is overrated. Many of those runs have come in pressure free situations where the team was chasing low 4th innings total. He has not played any significant 4th innings knock in the subcontinent or the WI(excluding the century against the eternal whipping boys), where wear and tear on the pitch is most.[/quote'] You are only referring to the match winning knocks. What about the ones that didn't end in victory for Australia?
You are only referring to the match winning knocks. What about the ones that didn't end in victory for Australia?
In India, Pakistan, SL, and WI in the 3rd and 4th innings combined he has one 50+ score in 22 innings with a highest score of 51, averages 23. In the 4th innings, he averages 13 in these countries. I am not saying he is much worse in the 4th innings than his contemporary greats, but he is not any better either. Has had the advantage of Australia chasing a lot of pressure free runs in the 4th innings, quite a few on wickets which bear no resemblance to a typical 4th innings picture.

Shwetabh, just curious...if Michael Clarke goes on to score a 100 here, would you rate it as a great 4th innings knock? One could argue that since Australia's task is almost impossible, the match is already gone and there's no real pressure. Therefore no pressure in easy chases, no pressure in the really difficult ones either?

Shwetabh, just curious...if Michael Clarke goes on to score a 100 here, would you rate it as a great 4th innings knock? One could argue that since Australia's task is almost impossible, the match is already gone and there's no real pressure. Therefore no pressure in easy chases, no pressure in the really difficult ones either?
Certainly not a great knock unless he goes on to bring Australia within shooting distance of the target or a realistic chance of a draw. But definitely much more accomplished than say a 60* chasing 150 to win the last innings.