Ashes '09, Test 2 : Fredalo already injured, Self Harmison in

Well, another test and another injury for Freddy.

Harmison covers injured Flintoff Alex Brown July 13, 2009 Text size: A | A Andrew Flintoff's participation in the Lord's Test is uncertain © Getty Images Related Links Series/Tournaments: Australia tour of England and Scotland Teams: England A knee injury to Andrew Flintoff has prompted England selectors to call the in-form Steve Harmison into an expanded 14-man squad for the second Ashes Test at Lord's. Flintoff complained of right knee soreness after falling heavily in the field during Australia's first innings, and will undergo precautionary scans on Monday. The Cardiff Test was Flintoff's first major assignment since tearing the meniscus in his right knee during an IPL stint with the Chennai Superkings. He had not played for England since the Antigua Test of February.
I hope Flintoff is fit, he really adds an extra spark to the game, he gets the fans going too. Harmison in for Panesar.
Freddie is all hype. He hasn't been a real threat as a bowler to take a lot of wickets for a while now. He can bowl very good short over bursts but he's not really the guy who can run through a side for you.
I really feel bad for Freddy but including Harmison might be a blessing for England. On the Lord's pitch with bounce, it will suit exactly his kind of game as well as Monty's who's a much better bowler on bouncier pitches.
i dont think both Monty n Harmy will play.that will make the tail a bit too long. i think Ian bell will replace Freddie n Harmy will replace Monty
Freddie is all hype. He hasn't been a real threat as a bowler to take a lot of wickets for a while now. He can bowl very good short over bursts but he's not really the guy who can run through a side for you.
he is England's best bowler,dude,wat r u talking?
I agree actually. But he has this x factor about him which gets the crowd involved and he should be used in short spells to try pick up a wicket. Unfortunately, he dies off after a while.
he is England's best bowler' date='dude,wat r u talking?[/quote'] Well, it's exactly as I said. While he's a good intimidating bowler in short bursts, but he's only picked up 5 or more wickets in an innings once since 2005. That's 34 test matches an one 5 for. I know stats done tell the whole story and I would say that he's England's most consistent bowler and bowls with a lot of passion and heart but he simply doesn't have the result to say that he's the kind of bowler that he's hyped up to be.
I feel England need Freddie' date=' even though Harmy had a good warm up game, Freddie just bring that fire to the side[/quote'] He started off the ferocious reverse-swinging spell in the Ashes England won the last time..Simon jones fed on the uncertainity he created in the minds of the batsmen... It's a massive physical and psychological blow for england if he's down and out... Pietersen is too inconsistent to be the impact player he used to be
i dont think both Monty n Harmy will play.that will make the tail a bit too long. i think Ian bell will replace Freddie n Harmy will replace Monty
That's true enough about the tail, and with Swann batting the way he is and the way the rest of England's batsmen crumble it'll probably be Harmison replacing Monty. I would go with a bowling lineup of Anderson, Harmison, Onions, Swann. The problem with England's bowling though was that they didn't bowl to any sort of plan. They really didn't create pressure by bowling enough maidens and some of the new ball bowling was just poor.
That's true enough about the tail, and with Swann batting the way he is and the way the rest of England's batsmen crumble it'll probably be Harmison replacing Monty. I would go with a bowling lineup of Anderson, Harmison, Onions, Swann. The problem with England's bowling though was that they didn't bowl to any sort of plan. They really didn't create pressure by bowling enough maidens and some of the new ball bowling was just poor.
They must bring in their wild card- Adil rashid.. Probably the best spinner in england at the moment..Rashid for Panesar.. If anything's going to win it for england from hereon..it would be good spin bowling(atleast to create pressure on one end)..none of their current seamers are going to give Aussies anything to worry about..unfortunately both Simon jones and flintoff are out- what luck!
They must bring in their wild card- Adil rashid.. Probably the best spinner in england at the moment..Rashid for Panesar.. If anything's going to win it for england from hereon..it would be good spin bowling(atleast to create pressure on one end)..none of their current seamers are going to give Aussies anything to worry about..unfortunately both Simon jones and flintoff are out- what luck!
i think Aussies's weakness against spin is overrated,they r much better players of spin than Eng,so if Eng is gonna prepare dustbowls n rely on spin,it'll be digging a grave for themselves.they couldnt handle Hauritz of all people as for Rashid,he lacks control for test cricket
i think Aussies's weakness against spin is overrated,they r much better players of spin than Eng,so if Eng is gonna prepare dustbowls n rely on spin,it'll be digging a grave for themselves.they couldnt handle Hauritz of all people as for Rashid,he lacks control for test cricket
I agree. The Australians just like any other top team are good against most spin but the problem isn't spin itself but when the ball spins quickly with good bounce. Any batsman unless it's Gavaskar, Sachin etc struggles against quick/bouncing spin. The Lord's test will bounce more but I don't think it will spin all that much. It would be good for a bowler like Kumble but I don't see Rashid making an impact.
I agree. The Australians just like any other top team are good against most spin but the problem isn't spin itself but when the ball spins quickly with good bounce. Any batsman unless it's Gavaskar' date=' Sachin etc struggles against quick/bouncing spin.[[/quote'] yep but England dont have that kind of spinners,so it would be foolish to rely heavily on spin.they should go back to tried n tested methods of reverse swing.India did it successfully too in B/G trophy.i think Aussies r more vulnerable against reverse swing than spin
yep but England dont have that kind of spinners' date='so it would be foolish to rely heavily on spin.they should go back to tried n tested methods of reverse swing.India did it successfully too in B/G trophy.i think Aussies r more vulnerable against reverse swing than spin[/quote'] Well in that case England are screwed because they haven't really reversed the ball since the '05 ashes except for some very limited times.
Well in that case England are screwed because they haven't really reversed the ball since the '05 ashes except for some very limited times.
well they didnt reverse it before 2005 Ashes too.but suddenly they started doing it n caught Aussies's weakness. i agree with ur earlier statement tho,England are screwed