India launches nuclear submarine

Texy

Code-named Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV), the submarine christened 'INS Arihant' (destroyer of enemy) was launched for sea trials at the Matsya naval dockyard in Vishakapatnam. As India has declared "no first use" of nuclear weapons, the country's weapons system must survive a first strike for retaliation. Therefore, Arihant's primary weapon is stealth as it can lurk in ocean depths of half a kilometre or more and fire its missiles from under the sea. The 6000-tonne submarine is powered by an 85 megawatt capacity nuclear reactor and can acquire surface speeds of 22 to 28 kmph (12-15 knots) and submerged speed upto 44 kmph (24 knots). It will be carrying a crew of 95 men and will be armed with torpedoes and missiles including 12 ballistic missiles. Four more nuclear-powered submarines of this class have already got government's nod and these would add to the Navy's underwater combat potential in the years to come. INS Arihant can also be armed with cruise missiles. The Defence Research and Developmen Organisation is already working on an equally secretive Sagarika project for a 700-km K-15 missile, capable of carrying nuclear weapons. With US, Russia and China already fielding 5,000-km range SLBMs, the DRDO too has recently tested an SLBM based on the design of 3,500-km range Agni-III. The induction of ATV will help India to complete the nuclear weapons triad, as envisaged under its nuclear doctrine to deliver nuke-tipped missiles from land, air and sea. India has land-based nuclear-capable Agni ballistic missiles, apart from IAF fighters such as Mirage-2000 that can deliver tactical nukes. 1ixsb5.jpgAdvanced_technology_vessel.JPG A day of pride for India

India joins elite club with nuclear submarine launch India joined an elite club of nations with the induction of indigenously-built nuclear-powered submarine, reaching a significant milestone in completing its nuclear triad with capacity to launch missiles from land, air and sea. The 6000-tonne nuclear submarine, known as boomer in popular parlance and named Arihant (destroyer of enemy), will carry 'Sagarika' ballistic missile and will come in handy in for retaliation in case of an enemy nuclear strike. The missile will have a range of 700 km. With the launching of the sea trials of the Arihant, India's dream of 25 years culminated in the form of a 110 metre-long and 25 metre-wide submarine moving out from its building base 'INS Virbhau' here into the Bay of Bengal. It is expected to continue its sea and harbour trials for another 12-16 months before it joins the naval fleet with its complement of around 23 officers and 72 men. KhHuV4qONbE :isalute:

:adore::adore::adore::isalute::isalute::isalute: btw i can see pakistanis going to china to lease some..........bt china only has 10 so dont knw if they will lease India btw has leased two from russia....the 1st one "The Nerpa"re chirtened INS Chakra will join in december this year....india paid for the completion of the two vessels and $650 million for a lease of 10 years Now no way pakistanis can afford that.

I know we can't afford this...but it's more of a strategic defense move. I really hope we can catch up to China in every level very soon. India will never strike first due to the "no first use" policy but it's good to have strong defense to deter enemy nations from having strategic advantage over you. The only way Pak saved their ass after 26/11 by having nuclear capabilities.

I know we can't afford this...but it's more of a strategic defense move. I really hope we can catch up to China in every level very soon. India will never strike first due to the "no first use" policy but it's good to have strong defense to deter enemy nations from having strategic advantage over you. The only Pak saved their ass after 26/11 by having nuclear capabilities.
i meant to say pakistanis.......bt pakis got all astrixed.............:--D

It will take two more years and numerous red tape before the sub is operational. But kudos to our scientists.:isalute: BTW.. Already the Paki navy is on various channels claiming this will lead to a nuclear arms race..lol...look who is talking ..angels?

It will take two more years and numerous red tape before the sub is operational. But kudos to our scientists.:isalute: BTW.. Already the Paki navy is on various channels claiming this will lead to a nuclear arms race..lol...look who is talking ..angels?
Join the race. There will come a time when the Pakistani government will ask its citizens to eat one meal a day so that they could stay in the race.

Great news and congratulations to Indian Scientists for this. On an aside note I have never quite understood why all of the big ticket weaponary of Indian Armed Forces are named in purest of Hindi, or Sansktrit language?? In an English mad country where even the Supreme Court advocates English teaching should we not name our submarines say INS Destroyer instead of INS Arihant?? I suggest all Hindi bashing folks to start a crusade regarding this. No forceful naming based on Hindi/Sanskrit I say. xxx

On an aside note I have never quite understood why all of the big ticket weaponary of Indian Armed Forces are named in purest of Hindi, or Sansktrit language?? In an English mad country where even the Supreme Court advocates English teaching should we not name our submarines say INS Destroyer instead of INS Arihant?? I suggest all Hindi bashing folks to start a crusade regarding this. No forceful naming based on Hindi/Sanskrit I say. xxx
Sanskrit is the mother of all indian languages

Great news and congratulations to Indian Scientists for this. On an aside note I have never quite understood why all of the big ticket weaponary of Indian Armed Forces are named in purest of Hindi, or Sansktrit language?? In an English mad country where even the Supreme Court advocates English teaching should we not name our submarines say INS Destroyer instead of INS Arihant?? I suggest all Hindi bashing folks to start a crusade regarding this. No forceful naming based on Hindi/Sanskrit I say. xxx
But the names have been pretty good. That's what matters and since these are purely Indian, they need an Indian signature, don't they? What better language than the most ancient?

But the names have been pretty good. That's what matters and since these are purely Indian' date=' they need an Indian signature, don't they? What better language than the most ancient?[/quote'] I do not disagree with that notion at all. Heck I am as big a fan(atic) as you would find when it comes to anything Indian(specially languages). My comment were directed towards those who keep on yapping about English and why it should remain the communication link between "Indians". Well clearly if thats the case I don't quite see a reason to name INS Arihant and the like. I didnt intend to take the focus away from the actual crux of discussion though, indigenous Nuclear submarine and what it means for India. xxx

I do not disagree with that notion at all. Heck I am as big a fan(atic) as you would find when it comes to anything Indian(specially languages). My comment were directed towards those who keep on yapping about English and why it should remain the communication link between "Indians". Well clearly if thats the case I don't quite see a reason to name INS Arihant and the like. I didnt intend to take the focus away from the actual crux of discussion though, indigenous Nuclear submarine and what it means for India. xxx
Okay, I understand. But I still don't see any conflict. English will remain a strong part of our lives from two perspectives- it is the most accepted international language and will continue to help us immensely in globalization. And second, since almost every Indian is learning English, it can be and it is the most common language for communication for two Indians who do not understand each others mother tongue. If I meet someone from Kerla tomorrow who does not understand Hindi or Oriya, I will talk to him in English. I won't expect them all to learn Hindi as they already know one common language known to most educated Indians. But, having said that, English will never be a part of our national identity. We have a history and a culture that defines who we are and when we flaunt something purely Indian to the rest of the world, it has to have a signature that is purely Indian.

Great news... Congratulations to all. But honestly speaking, when are we going to learn to MARKET this properly. I would have never known about this if I would not have been a regular visitor on this site. I usually go through TOI, HT, Rediff etc newspapers several times a day. and I don't remember seeing this on any of the news. Can anybody else please verify.