This should embarrass Indian Media

Desi Cartman

I have been reading about this in Indian media for couple of days and once again it was clear to me that they dont care who attacks whom & for what reason as a long as a desi gets attacks in Australia it can be called racist. My attacker was Indian, says victim of 'racist' assault

AN undercover reporter assaulted after covertly exposing migration scams says she is sickened by Indian media claims that she was targeted in a racist attack, insisting her tormentor was a fellow Indian. As the Indian media's response to the dangers faced by Indian students and migrants to Australia reached a new level of hysteria yesterday with Kevin Rudd called a racist, the undercover reporter said Indian commentators had "no right to speak" because their own country was classist and racist. "I'm just very, very appalled with the Indian media assuming that this was a racist attack," said the reporter, a 28-year-old long-time resident of Australia who covertly exposed migration scams for ABC TV's Four Corners. "It was absolutely not. My attacker looked like an Indian person and I was threatened in Hindi." The reporter, who had previously received two threatening telephone calls, was attacked in an inner-city Sydney street on Saturday afternoon when a man wearing a turban came at her with an "almighty elbow to the right shoulder". The young woman had gone undercover for Four Corners during an investigation that aired on Monday night, exposing widespread corruption within the international student and migration sectors. The Indian media seized on the reporter's attack and during a special half-hour edition of its popular News Hour program, entitled "Yes, It's Racism", top-rating Indian news channel Times Now claimed the assault was racially motivated. But the reporter angrily disputed this, saying India was a far more racist country than Australia. "I know it was not a racially motivated attack," she said. "Most sane Indian students in Sydney and Melbourne don't think these are racist-motivated attacks at all. "Every country has a bit of racism here and there. And really, with the classist system in India, we have no right to speak. Certainly we have way more racism in our country than here in Australia." The combative Times Now 24-hour news channel yesterday launched a bizarre attack on the Prime Minister, accusing him of "shocking" comments that "trivialised" so-called racist attacks on Indian students. Mr Rudd told a delegation of Indian reporters, hosted by the Australian government last month following sustained coverage of a series of attacks on Indian students: "The Indian community has made a vital contribution in cinema, music and food. We have deep affection for your cuisine. "Imagine if we didn't have Indian food, we would have had 100 years of English food -- would you subject anyone to that?" But Arnab Goswami, the fiery host of Times Now's News Hour show, on Monday night labelled Mr Rudd's comments "shocking" and accused him of trivialising the attacks. "Kevin Rudd goes on air to talk about how much he loves Indian curries," Goswami said during a panel debate over the role of education agents in misleading Indian students who pay thousands on dollars to study in Australia. "That was supposed to be proof of how much they were for India -- that's absolutely shocking. That's denigrating this entire issue." It is not the first attack on the Prime Minister. In May, Hindu nationalists burnt effigies of Mr Rudd during angry protests outside the Australian High Commission in New Delhi. Yesterday, Goswami denied he was accusing Mr Rudd of racism, but told The Australian the Prime Minister's comments to the Indian media were "ridiculous comments to make at this serious time". Within an hour of Goswami speaking to The Australian, a prominent link to Monday night's News Hour debate on the issue -- tagged "Take this Kevin Rudd" -- was removed from the Times Now website. Times Now has led the at times hysterical coverage of the Indian student issue, and features a link to a series of reports on the story under the banner Racism Beyond Shame. Commenting on the latest attack, India's Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs, Vayalar Ravi, said assaults on people of Indian origin were now "very frequent in Australia" and that the issue should be taken seriously by both governments. But he added: "I am not sure that there was a racist agenda behind the attack. Nowhere has it been reported in such a way." The Rudd government has scheduled a series of ministerial visits for the remainder of this year, with Mr Rudd due to arrive in November and his deputy, Julia Gillard, in late September.

I have been seeing this for sometime now but when couple of days ago I saw the headline "Indian journalist attacked in Aus " I knew what the article would be about. there was no mention of what this journalist was doing and who was responsible for the attack. It did mention all the crimes against Indians in the last 6 months. BTW as per four corners, the unis are mistreating these students. Things were so good 9-10 years ago when I came here. No cheating , no short cuts , no violence .. now its just crazy. Its a big permanent residency market where people are not even finishing the course .. Its pathetic .. Govt and Unis are to be blamed as well.

Guest gaurav_indian
I'm not expecting many replies in this thread.
Yeah its strange when we(indians) accuse others(australians) of racism. Racism exists in india too. You wont see many replies becoz some people are still living in their cloud cuckoo land. Indian media is the worst media i have ever seen in my life. Noone forced indian students to go to australia.

How can you degrade a useful place like toilet by drawing a comparison with Indian media?:whack::orderorder:
I second that.. Toliets are mighty useful. even railway toilets in the outbacks of West Bengal where you need an oxygen mast just to pass by. Indian media is good, for unmitigated laughs