Emraan Hashmi can't get a house in Pali Hill

Guest gaurav_indian

Guest gaurav_indian

Emraan Hashmi can't get a house in Pali Hill

MUMBAI: Being an A-lister in Bollywood can't get one past religious profiling and discrimination in Mumbai's Beverly Hills. On-screen serial kisser Emran Hashmi has just learned this. Out to buy an apartment in an area close to where his parents live, the actor was politely told by Pali Hill's Nibbana Cooperative Society to go and look elsewhere. The actor believes the housing society is discriminating against him because he is a Muslim. He has filed a complaint with the State Minorities' Commission, demanding action against society members. Commission vice-chairman Abraham Mathai told TOI that Hashmi had filed a complaint, saying the society had refused to give him a no-objection certificate even after he had paid the token amount of Rs 1 lakh. "We are sending summons to the society, asking for an explanation," Mathai said. "My parents went to meet society members last week (for the NoC) along with the seller and the broker. Society members, however, told them they were busy and refused to meet them. I found it really offensive," said Hashmi. "The seller, Suvarna, has now informed us that the society will not give us an NOC and it has blocked the sale. We have information that this has been done as they are discriminating against Muslims and will not allow any Muslim in the society." The society had mostly Hindus and a couple of Catholic families, Hashmi said. Housing society secretary Chatri told TOI he had received a letter last week from the Hashmis but no decision was taken as the chairman of the committee was not present. "But there is no ban on Muslims; we know all Muslims are not terrorists. People from all over the country stay here -- even I have come from a different part of the country -- but one has to know who is coming in," he said. Actor Anil Dhawan is another member of the society's managing committee. "I will be more than happy to have him as a neighbour. But I remember his family barging into our office when a society meeting was going on and so we refused to meet them. Being a celeb does not mean you get everything," he said. This is not the first time Hashmi has faced such a problem. "I faced a similar situation in August 2007, when I was looking for a house in the same area; residents and brokers told me I would not be able to get a house because I was a Muslim. But I later managed to get one," he told TOI. Hashmi's family has been living in Pali Hill for the last 50 years. "All the big names of Bollywood live in the area. Dilip Kumar, Nargis and Aamir Khan live here. So do the Dutts (Sanjay and his kin). But we still face such problems," he regretted. Hashmi's uncle, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, said he was appalled that this was happening in an area like Pali Hill. Jagjit Arora, who was trying to broker the deal for Hashmi, did try to convince the society. "Mr Suvarna was more than happy to do the deal but he told us we had to get an NOC from the society. It's sad that no amount of explanation about the family's antecedents could convince the society members. There are also certain societies in the area that do not give NOCs to non-Hindus," he lamented. Vinod Bachchan, a broker from Juhu, said he knew of such instances in Juhu -- where superstar Amitabh Bachchan has lived for decades -- as well. "A big star living in Bandra wanted to buy a bungalow in Juhu but we found it difficult to get one for him as he was a Muslim," he said. "There are societies who take an undertaking from non-vegetarians that they will not eat non-veg food," Bachchan (the property broker) added.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/City/Mumbai/Emraan-Hashmi-cant-get-a-house-in-Pali-Hill/articleshow/4839633.cms Modern India. :hatsoff:

Guest gaurav_indian
He is a super rich star and he is looking for an apartment ? :hmmmm2:
Yep i was also shocked becoz if you look at his roles in movies he only needs a double bed thats it. :giggle:

BTW dilip Kumar is a muslim , Aamir khan is a muslim , Imran Hashmi was also able to find a house in pali hill 2 years ago as per the article. I think something is fishy here, maybe his parents pissed off the so called management :dontknow: Good on him for taking it up with the commission though

Nothing new. Mumbai has gone from the most cosmopolitan city to one of the ghettoest towns, if there is a word like that. There has been discussions at ICF about anti-Muslim housing bias for a couple of years now so it does not surprise me. Although there could be a little bit different reason than Hashmi being a Muslim. Many upscale societies in Mumbai are heavily dominated by vegetarian folks, read Gujjus, Jains, Sarswat Brahmins - and they totally unwelcome any maas-macchi khaane waale public. Maybe Hashmi was unwelcomed now due to who he prays but more because of what he eats.

Pali Hill is very cosmopolitan and unlike many places, it doen't have any set communities per se. But again, people bought them flats directly from the builders which are now co-op societies and surprisingly Nibhana itself has quite a few Muslims, including Daffodils next to it I have lived all my life there and seriously cannot buy this logic I can tell you another reason, one of my aunt lives in the same complex as Katrina or Karina ( I forgot who exactly ) and there is always crowd near the building and it gets noisy and disturbing for others ( Crowd Outside Amiitabhs Bungalow effect). Now, I am talking about Lokhandwala side, nobody cares on Pali but this hashmi fella is single, flamboyant star and maybe they thought there gonna be loud parties as such Nibhana is not a high rise complex, its on a slope with 3 separate buildings and very close to each other and only 1 way entrance/exit, its too cozy

If he was an unknown person,i can understand with the race problem.But here he cannot use that,i think his notorious image is causing the problem.Also i heard a single woman can't get any apartment as well.Each and every issue aren't race related always.But it seems that people find it easy to play with it or hide behind it.

Now' date= I am talking about Lokhandwala side, nobody cares on Pali but this hashmi fella is single, flamboyant star and maybe they thought there gonna be loud parties as such Nibhana is not a high rise complex, its on a slope with 3 separate buildings and very close to each other and only 1 way entrance/exit, its too cozy
Rajeev, you seriously think only Pali Hill has stars residing?? Most of Mumbai suburbs from Heeranandani to Lokhandwaala(Powai and Andheri) have tons of starlets residing in there. What gives Pali Hill folks any extra reason with regards to lifestyle? I am also amazed at this single-star-lifestyle argument. Mumbai being the financial center of India has tons of bigda-baap-ki-aulaadein. You think only actors lead this kind of lifestyle? Actually actors tend to shy away due to crowd reasons, it is the upper echeleon of society who dons tha mantle for the lifestyle you are suggesting. You obviously would have more information on this than I do but to rule out the Muslim angle and blame it on lifestyle is erroneous, me thinks. xxx

Who is the right mind would want Emran Hashmi in the neighborhood? Nothing to do with religion.
You do realize that's a hollow argument right? Any Indian can buy a property in India except certain regions like Kashmir. It does not matter whether you like him/her or not. Heck I would probably hate half of my neighbours, doesnt stop them from being my neighbour. In this case the Housing Society has to give an argument that can stand in court - not something along we dont want him here because blah blah. xxx

Try getting an apartment as a Hindu in a Muslim area' date=' wont happen. Yet we should suck it up in our own country.[/quote'] Spoken like another of RSS loony. You want to go settle down in a Muslim area in India? Say Dongri. Go for it man! If you run into problems let me know, I shall stand by you as well. Just dont go talking for the heck of it. xx

Guest gaurav_indian
Spoken like another of RSS loony. You want to go settle down in a Muslim area in India? Say Dongri. Go for it man! If you run into problems let me know, I shall stand by you as well. Just dont go talking for the heck of it. xx
Blame it on indian media. People are misguided here.

You do realize that's a hollow argument right? Any Indian can buy a property in India except certain regions like Kashmir. It does not matter whether you like him/her or not. Heck I would probably hate half of my neighbours, doesnt stop them from being my neighbour. In this case the Housing Society has to give an argument that can stand in court - not something along we dont want him here because blah blah. xxx
That was said in jest, Lurk. I understand that there is a problem for the Muslims in India, which is unfortunate.

Spoken like another of RSS loony. You want to go settle down in a Muslim area in India? Say Dongri. Go for it man! If you run into problems let me know, I shall stand by you as well. Just dont go talking for the heck of it. xx
Well i did once try to rent an apartment in India 'owned' by a Muslim, didnt get it. Of course as a landlord here in the US I choose who I want in my apartments so its all kosher then.