WADA's clause : BCCI gets ready for the battle

Guest Shivani

wat would happen if players refuse?would we be banned from Champion trophies n World cups?that would be sad
Read the following articles if you're interested: BCCI supports players, opposes dope testing code 03_08_09-ifs_and_buts.jpg03_08_09-at_loggerheads.jpgAnti-doping fine but clause on whereabouts unacceptable WADA laments BCCI decision, urges to sign anti-doping code BCCI’s duty to protect sport’s integrity: WADA The Code has been accepted worldwide: WADA chief Link 'There won't be a Third World War' Vijay Tagore / DNA Monday, August 3, 2009 1:18 IST Email Mumbai: Shashank Manohar refused to guess the inevitable fallout of the Indian Board's non-compliance with the International Cricket Council's Anti-Doping Code. "I don't know what the ICC will do. The implications of this decision would be decided after we write to the ICC. Today, it would be jumping the gun," the Board of Control for Cricket in India president said. It is unlikely that he and his BCCI colleagues have not made the calculations on the likely implications. One logical step could be an emergency meeting of the ICC's all-powerful Executive Board which will decide on the way forward. But any resolution against BCCI will require the consent of seven members and it is unlikely that there will be so many voters for an anti-BCCI motion. The BCCI can easily count on support from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. That is four (including BCCI vote) out of 10. Besides, India can also bank on support from South Africa and Australia, the two co-members of the Champions League T20. There is no guarantee that England will vote against BCCI either. The only negative vote could be from Pakistan. A Board official reminded: "What's ICC? It is an association of members. Only the members can take a decision." A top ICC official stated that a step forward on the issue will happen only after a formal meeting of its top officials --president David Morgan and Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat. Neither Morgan nor Lorgat can consider taking a decision that doesn't involve ICC vice-president Sharad Pawar and its principal advisor IS Bindra. On Sunday evening, the ICC said "The next step is to be considered by the ICC Board." But he did not indicate when the Board meeting will be held. The next Board meeting is scheduled for mid-October. A BCCI official told DNA that one possible ICC decision could be to ban or suspend the 11 players (under the IRTP) but stated that any such move could result in a disaster for the ICC as the BCCI then may not take part in the forthcoming Champions Trophy. The implications of a non-India Champions Trophy could be serious for the world body as it had sold its eight-year broadcast rights for over a billion dollars on the promise of an Indian participation. The broadcaster might well sue the ICC. So where does the impasse head? It is a premature to guess but some thing can be read in the statement of a highly-ranked ICC official who told this paper: "There will not be a Third World War over this issue."
BCCI president Shashank Manohar stressed that the board was all for a zero-tolerance policy when it came to doping. “The issue came up in 2006 and everybody agreed that there should not be any doping in cricket — but the system of testing was never discussed at the ICC meets,” Manohar said in Mumbai after a meeting of the board’s working committee, which was also attended by cricketers Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh. What the BCCI has suggested instead is that it would make available any player required for testing within 24 hours. “If the ICC or WADA wants to test a player, they can inform the board which will get him at the required location within a day,” said Manohar. “This is our suggestion.” The ICC, meanwhile, did not state exactly what the path forward would be. While it did not rule out sanctioning the players, the ICC’s initial reaction was reconciliatory. “The ICC is aware of the issues of concern and it remains confident they can be addressed to everyone’s satisfaction,” an ICC spokesman said. “The next step is for this matter to be considered further by the ICC board to find a way forward.”
How are they different than other athletes in India? Just because some fans worship them they are special? I feel for the indian hockey players and other athletes. And if indian players dont sign this clause then it will start creating doubts in everyone's mind that indian players take performance enhancing drugs rest of the cricketing world has signed it only we have problems.
Indian cricketers specially the likes of Tendulkar and Dhoni have received threats from terrorists and have Z class security or pretty damn close. It will be a mockery of this kind of security if any Tom, Dick, and Harry from the clerical staff of WADA can just login and find out where they will be for every single day. Can you name one other athelete in the entire world, forget about India, who has the kind of security threats that these guys face? Can you imagine the furore that will happen if somehow Tendulkar or Dhoni got targetted by terrorists because someone from WADA informed LeT where they will be for a few hundred dollars? From your posts it's apparent that you do not understand the situation at all!

Sports Minister wants BCCI to sign WADA code New Delhi: Union Sports Minister MS Gill on Monday came out in support of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) anti-doping code and said that Indian cricketers must follow the system put in place by the anti-doping body. Gill said that says everybody had to follow the system put in place by WADA while slamming the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for rejecting the 'Whereabouts Clause'. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/sports-minister-wants-bcci-to-sign-wada-code/98484-5.html

BCCI and our players are fighting a losing battle. There’s no way WADA is going to amend its clause because some cricket board and its players don’t like it.
So WADA doesn't change the clause and WADA is going to loose the fee's it hopes to collect from cricket. end of story. Will have no effect on cricket.
BCCI and our players are fighting a losing battle. There’s no way WADA is going to amend its clause because some cricket board and its players don’t like it.
It's not just Indian Cricketers. I read that Fed and Nadal have issues with it, so does FIFA.
Guest gaurav_indian
Indian cricketers specially the likes of Tendulkar and Dhoni have received threats from terrorists and have Z class security or pretty damn close. It will be a mockery of this kind of security if any Tom' date= Dick, and Harry from the clerical staff of WADA can just login and find out where they will be for every single day. Can you name one other athelete in the entire world, forget about India, who has the kind of security threats that these guys face? Can you imagine the furore that will happen if somehow Tendulkar or Dhoni got targetted by terrorists because someone from WADA informed LeT where they will be for a few hundred dollars? From your posts it's apparent that you do not understand the situation at all!
Top Indian athletes fine with code
John Fahey, the chairman of the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA), has reacted to the Indian board's refusal to sign the anti-doping code by saying the rules apply worldwide and have been accepted by 571 international sporting bodies. The security and privacy concerns raised by India's cricketers were also not shared by other leading Indian sportspersons to have been tested for drugs in the past. WADA, which is an independent anti-doping watchdog set up by the International Olympic Committee, has already made it clear in a recent statement that no exemption to the code will be granted to any stakeholder. The ICC became a WADA signatory in 2006 and implemented the agency's amended code from January 1 this year. MS Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh and Yuvraj Singh, who are among the 11 Indian cricketers in the ICC testing pool, maintained during the BCCI meeting on Sunday that they were not against anti-dope testing but security issues remained if they had to reveal their location in advance for an hour every day for the next three months to facilitate out-of-competition checks, as mandated by the 'whereabouts' norm in the amended WADA code. Fahey said the rules in the code were meant for the effective and harmonious fight against doping. "The Code has been accepted by 571 sporting organisations ranging from International Olympic Committee, International Paralympic Committee, International Sports Federation," Fahey said. "This Code has been approved by 191 countries, and also by the UNESCO." The BCCI president Shashank Manohar said after the meeting that the whereabouts clause was a violation to the right to privacy of players and went against the Indian constitution which guaranteed this right to every citizen. However, shooter Abhinav Bindra, athlete Anju Bobby George and former badminton player P Gopichand, three of India's most famous sportspersons apart from its cricketers, said that they have had no problems with the code and the 'whereabouts' clause. Bindra, India's first individual gold medal winner in the Olympics, said security was not a consideration since the information provided was only going to the concerned officer and was strictly confidential. "Once you have your basic schedule for one quarter ready, you can keep updating the information," Bindra told the Times of India. "There have been instances when I haven't updated the information but then they are not coming to test you every single day. However, as an athlete you have to make a conscious effort to help the testers." Gopichand, an All England champion, said the WADA clauses could cause inconvenience but players had to put up with it. "I would liken the WADA to a traffic police constable," Gopichand told the India Today magazine. "It can often cause inconvenience, but then let us not forget that they are a boon in the longer run. Nowadays, with the pressure to perform, it is very natural that the players might be tempted to take to unfair methods to achieve their ends. So this is where WADA comes in to ensure that players abide by the rules." Bobby George, the first Indian athlete to win a medal at the World Championships in Athletics, said penalties were not imposed for missing every test. "Once during the monsoon, I had to advance my training and was not present at my home when the testers came," she said. "It happened again but luckily I was present when they came looking for me the third time." According to the WADA code, players can update their whereabouts information online or through SMS but they face stiff penalties, including a ban of upto two years, in case of three defaults in a quarter.
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/417419.html Yeah and these people have no privacy and personal life just because they are not cricketers? Rules are same for everyone. Terrorists can bribe Yuvi's and Dhoni's drivers, they can also get their credit card details if i go by your logic. So these ifs and buts wont work. WADA is working for the betterment of sports they are not a terrorist group that they will leak players personal info to anyone like this.
Guest Hiten.
Top Indian athletes fine with code http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/417419.html Yeah and these people have no privacy and personal life just because they are not cricketers? Rules are same for everyone. Terrorists can bribe Yuvi's and Dhoni's drivers, they can also get their credit card details if i go by your logic. So these ifs and buts wont work. WADA is working for the betterment of sports they are not a terrorist group that they will leak players personal info to anyone like this.
Oh lord. This guy is comparing Bindra's status with Indian cricketers. Take it over, Prof...have fun :nervous:
Top Indian athletes fine with code http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/417419.html Yeah and these people have no privacy and personal life just because they are not cricketers? Rules are same for everyone. Terrorists can bribe Yuvi's and Dhoni's drivers, they can also get their credit card details if i go by your logic. So these ifs and buts wont work. WADA is working for the betterment of sports they are not a terrorist group that they will leak players personal info to anyone like this.
And since when has Abhinav Bindra become more popular in India than Tendulkar? And when did the others get terrorist threats from across the border and from Naxalites/Maoists? Hmm? Anyone with an iota of common sense can see there are infinitely many ways that the information can be leaked. In fact your dumb argument of saying that people might think Indian cricketers are taking drugs is about as illogical as one can get. Nevertheless, believe what you want. I'm with the players here.
Indian cricketers specially the likes of Tendulkar and Dhoni have received threats from terrorists and have Z class security or pretty damn close. It will be a mockery of this kind of security if any Tom' date= Dick, and Harry from the clerical staff of WADA can just login and find out where they will be for every single day. Can you name one other athelete in the entire world, forget about India, who has the kind of security threats that these guys face? Can you imagine the furore that will happen if somehow Tendulkar or Dhoni got targetted by terrorists because someone from WADA informed LeT where they will be for a few hundred dollars? From your posts it's apparent that you do not understand the situation at all!
Hmm.. Am pretty sure WADA would have set-up their entire apparatus in such a way that the location details of the players are not that easily accessible. In fact, I am even sure that the people designated to actually conduct these random tests don’t have access to the information until very close to that day. Still, there’s absolutely no denying that it’s a massive security threat.
Guest gaurav_indian
Oh lord. This guy is comparing Bindra's status with Indian cricketers. Take it over' date= Prof...have fun :nervous:
Thats why i said in one of the post i feel sad for hockey players and other indian athletes. Even if they receive threats noone will take them seriously just because they arent cricketers. For me every indian who represents India in sports is equal. And plz give some respect to a guy who won a gold medal for india in olympics. He doesnt need a status.
Guest Hiten.
Thats why i said in one of the post i feel sad for hockey players and other indian athletes. Even if they receive threats noone will take them seriously just because they arent cricketers. For me every indian who represents India in sports is equal. And plz give some respect to a guy who won a gold medal for india in olympics. He doesnt need a status.
Don't preach me. You are confusing yourself by the status cricketers achieve compared to other athletes in our country. I do respect Bindra and commend him for achieving what he did but it does not change the fact that people would sell their arm and leg to get a glimpse of our cricketers.
I don't think that blue_brigade is playing down Bindra's achievements. Speaking for myself, that he was the first individual gold medal of the country holds a lot of weight, and I respect him a lot. But how many threats has Bindra got? If he had got any, the shameless media would have already defecated that into the toilet papers they sell as "newspapers". So, um, your point doesn't hold because the other Indian athletes have not received the threats. On the other hand, Tendulkar was already under Z-Category protection on several instances. Dhoni has got a very protection level around his house as well. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.
Guest gaurav_indian
I don't think that blue_brigade is playing down Bindra's achievements. Speaking for myself' date=' that he was the first individual gold medal of the country holds a lot of weight, and I respect him a lot. But how many threats has Bindra got? If he had got any, the shameless media would have already defecated that into the toilet papers they sell as "newspapers". So, um, your point doesn't hold because the other Indian athletes have not received the threats. On the other hand, Tendulkar was already under Z-Category protection on several instances. Dhoni has got a very protection level around his house as well. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.[/quote'] So you are trying to say that those who received threats shouldnt sign it? That means cricketers like Munaf Patel, Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma, Yusuf Pathan should sign it since they didnt receive any threat and they dont have status like Sachin Tendulkar and Dhoni? Am i right?
So you are trying to say that those who received threats shouldnt sign it? That means cricketers like Munaf Patel' date=' Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma, Yusuf Pathan should sign it since they didnt receive any threat and they dont have status like Sachin Tendulkar and Dhoni? Am i right?[/quote'] Are you just playing dumb or are you really that thick headed? Using the examples of Tendulkar and Dhoni doesn't mean the others are exempt. Tendulkar, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, et. al have been chose as a part of a 11-player sample that the WADA can call forth to test at any time. All these players are very popular in the public's eyes, and they want to guard their privacy. In Tendulkar's and Dhoni's cases, the reasons are pretty obvious. That you fail to recognize this fact is stupidity and I don't think I want to bother arguing anymore.
Guest Hiten.
So you are trying to say that those who received threats shouldnt sign it? That means cricketers like Munaf Patel' date=' Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma, Yusuf Pathan should sign it since they didnt receive any threat and they dont have status like Sachin Tendulkar and Dhoni? Am i right?[/quote'] Dude sit back and read what others have to say over this issue. No one is saying ICC's allegiance with WADA is not needed, we agree that it is a very important step to ensure cricket is dope-free BUT the clause that WADA has placed for the sports personalities to update their location for 3 months is ridiculous because cricketers in India are the unfortunate ones when it comes to privacy. Last week someone posted Ojha's interview (while visiting his grandparents), do you not wonder how the eff did media wallahs found him ? I mean Ojha is certainly not bigger than Bindra (in terms of achievements) but he is still followed in an unknown place just because he is a cricketer. Imagine the hassles Dhoni's, Tendulkar's, Pathan's have to endure to get 30 minutes of private time with their family. When we say we support our cricketers' concerns, we mean we support ALL of our cricketers' concern and not just Dhoni, Tendulkar et al.
Guest gaurav_indian
Are you just playing dumb or are you really that thick headed? Using the examples of Tendulkar and Dhoni doesn't mean the others are exempt. Tendulkar' date=' Dhoni, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, et. al have been chose as a part of a 11-player sample that the WADA can call forth to test at any time. All these players are very popular in the public's eyes, and they want to guard their privacy. In Tendulkar's and Dhoni's cases, the reasons are pretty obvious. That you fail to recognize this fact is stupidity and I don't think I want to bother arguing anymore.[/quote']
Are you just playing dumb or are you really that thick headed? Using the examples of Tendulkar and Dhoni doesn't mean the others are exempt.
I think you are losing it. Just becoz i dont agree with your opinion you have no right to post like this. I can also call you "dumb" and whatnot so plz if you want to reply then do it sensibly.
Tendulkar, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, et. al have been chose as a part of a 11-player sample that the WADA can call forth to test at any time. All these players are very popular in the public's eyes, and they want to guard their privacy. In Tendulkar's and Dhoni's cases, the reasons are pretty obvious. That you fail to recognize this fact is stupidity and I don't think I want to bother arguing anymore.
Neither do i.