Steyn failed drug test during IPL , now cleared of any dope-violation

DomainK

Steyn cleared, but doping still a mystery FAST bowler Dale Steyn has been cleared to play for South Africa in next month?s Champions Trophy. The player was yesterday cleared of any doping violation by the Indian Premier League, according to Cricket SA. Confusion still surrounds the manner in which Steyn. . . . More... Steyn cleared, but doping still a mystery Sports staff Published:Aug 13, 2009 FAST bowler Dale Steyn has been cleared to play for South Africa in next month’s Champions Trophy. The player was yesterday cleared of any doping violation by the Indian Premier League, according to Cricket SA. Confusion still surrounds the manner in which Steyn originally tested positive for morphine during the IPL in South Africa earlier this year when he played for the Bangalore Royal Challengers. On Tuesday, Cricket SA confirmed the positive test, but soon afterwards the commissioner of the IPL, Lalit Modi, said no player in the league had tested positive for any banned substance. Yesterday , Gerald Majola, chief executive of Cricket SA, said: “There was a discrepancy in the result of a doping test during the IPL, but the authorities are satisfied with the explanation Dale provided and confirmed that no offence had been committed.” He said CSA remained committed to the ICC ’s anti- doping programme. Steyn will join the Proteas squad for their training camp at the end of the month ahead of the Champions Trophy. His use of painkillers during the IPL had resulted in a “marginal increase in the presence of morphine” in his sample. The IPL’s testing agency asked him to clarify the finding, prompting the South African board to submit a report explaining the situation.

U know what i think??? This might be a cheap gimmick from BCCI to distract from the WADA issue so that indian playas dont get tested????
infact it'll strengthen WADA's case for out of competition testing n if BCCI had to do it,why would they accuse a star SA player,they could have named a no namer Indian player
So Modi accepted Steyn excuse of using pain killers but refused Asif legitimite excuse of using eye drops and gave him 1 year ban. No wonder Indians are refusing to sign the WADA code.
Modi is not God. He can not do what he feels like. There are rules and regulations for such cases and he, irrespective of what powers he has, can not go against them. If he does, someone can and will challenge him in a court of law and he will be punished.

Morphine at a urinary concentration greater than 1 μg/mL constitutes an Adverse Analytical Finding unless it may have been caused as a result of the administration of a permitted substance such as codeine. http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/min_required_perf_levels_en.pdf Yes he failed but it is an Adverse Analytical Finding . Morphine is on the prohibited list. The Prohibited List may identify specified substances which are particularly susceptible to unintentional anti-doping rule violations because of their general availability in medicinal products or which are less likely to be successfully abused as doping agents. " A doping violation involving such substances may result in a reduced sanction provided that the " ...Athlete can establish that the Use of such a specified substance was not intended to enhance sport performance

Public reaction to doping scare was hard to deal with - Steyn Neil Manthorp August 19, 2009 Dale Steyn has said he was "very disappointed" at public reaction during his recent drug scare and says that, though his name has been cleared after providing an adverse analytical finding during routine testing in the IPL, he fears some people will always associate him with illegal substance abuse. "I kept being assured by our own team doctor that I had nothing to worry about but everyone else's first reaction was to immediately think I'd done something wrong," Steyn told Cricinfo. "People's reactions have probably been the hardest thing to deal with. "When I was first told that there was an adverse finding I thought it was a joke. I actually laughed because as a professional cricketer I've been always been really careful about what medicine I take. Then I was told that this was going to a medical review committee and I got pretty scared. Maybe there had been a mistake? Anyway, I'm happy that it's over now - even though it should never have happened in the first place," Steyn said. Many South African officials are still wary of speaking on the issue, given that it involves the powerful IPL, but the belief that Steyn was shabbily treated is clearly widespread. "He took a common headache medicine - Myprodol - containing codeine, which is not a prohibited substance. In certain people codeine can cause a high concentration of morphine in the urine. Anyone who has laboratory experience in analysing this situation knows that a slightly higher presence of morphine than otherwise permitted is totally acceptable where there is also this level of codeine," one CSA official said. South African Cricketers Association (SACA) chief executive Tony Irish was equally condemnatory of the laboratory. "This has been a nightmare situation where a laboratory's poor handling of a player's test sample has left a very unfair question mark over that player," he said. "South Africa's Institute for Drug Free Sport is a very competent organisation with established protocols and procedures. There is a fully accredited laboratory in Bloemfontein which would have handled this whole thing properly," Irish said. "It would have taken them a few hours to confirm that there shouldn't even be an adverse analytical finding. It would have all been quite normal. The Doping Control Laboratory used by IPL was an outsourced commercial one located outside SA. "Someone owes Dale Steyn a big apology." -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm terribly confused. How did IPL treat Steyn shabbily when Lalit Modi kept saying that no one failed the drug test during IPL II? Who is that "someone" who should apologise to Steyn? How is IPL throwing its weight here? I just can't understand it!
So? And I think the lab was in SA not outside.
i was quoting from the report, the last line actually. It comes under the responsibility of IPL since IPL contracted the lab. Its like any contractual employee, the company is responsible for the work done by the employee. In this case opening their mouths :D Lalit Modi said no banned substance and it is true, Morphine is on the prohibited list not banned list :D
i was quoting from the report, the last line actually. It comes under the responsibility of IPL since IPL contracted the lab. Its like any contractual employee, the company is responsible for the work done by the employee. In this case opening their mouths :D Lalit Modi said no banned substance and it is true, Morphine is on the prohibited list not banned list :D
I don't know what kind of relationship they have entered into, but most likely that's a client-agency relationship. If the agency discloses any data from the client to the media in spite of an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), the agency is entirely responsible for it. However, if the client remains silent following the disclosure, its assumed that the client has accepted the act of the agency without any complaints and thus, the disclosure is considered equivalent to done on instruction from the client and hence the client is directly responsible for the act. If the lab disclosed anything it was supposed not to disclose under the NDA, it was IPL's responsibility to catch them and sue them. The lack of that action makes IPL directly responsible. That is applicable to standard agency-client agreements. Depending on the clauses of the contract, it may not be applicable.
Screw him. There is a policy for these things. It's called getting an exemption. Any player, his physios, staff etc KNOW exactly what's banned and what's allowed. This Doctor Moosajee knows all about how this "painkiller" turns into morphine into the body so WHY DIDN'T HE ADVISE STEYN BEFOREHAND or get an exemption. It's no use crying about it later. Test the B sample, if that shows positive as well, ban him.
Not very well informed are you. Here are the facts. A) Codeine metabolizes to morphine "in vivo" B) Codeine is not on the banned list and was prescribed by the doctor. C) Metobolic and retention times of medicines vary from person to person at times as much as 100%. d) He was found to have 30% more than "nominal amount". Look up how these nominal amounts are decided. this is why he was asked to explain and he provided the prescription. end of story. Can't believe some who has ~2000 post can be this poorly informed.
Two things that I did not understand 1) Why was Asif's case handled by IPL and not PCB where as Steyn's case was handled by CSA and not IPL? 2) On what grounds was Steyn let go? If that was a banned substance he should have been punished.
Asif was busted for an anabolic steroid in the amount of ~800% over allowed limit. Steyn was was 30% over the nominal amount. Asif had not documented evidence of the source. Steyn did and the 30% excess is well within experimental error of measurement and also explained by person to person variation of metabolic rates and retention in the body. Asif was a second time offender for the sme drug. Steyn was not. does that answer your question?