Honor Killings in India -

kumble_rocks

And you thought this ****** happens only in Islamic countries !What kind of pervert culture and tradition in India allows for this kind of nonsense ! http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6795356.ece Couples who defy traditions — and their parents — to enter “love marriages†rather than arranged unions in India are to be given police protection in safe houses. Police in Haryana, an affluent but conservative northern state, said that they had been overwhelmed by hundreds of cases in which couples had been attacked by enraged relatives for ignoring the strict social codes that dictate who they should marry. Under a pilot scheme that will start this month, newlyweds judged to be most at risk will start their lives together under armed guard. In the rural villages of Haryana, caste purity and adherence to traditions are paramount. As a result, the state has grown notorious as the “honour killing†capital of India. Related Links * Judge calls for end to use of 'honour killings' term * The family killings that have no 'honour' Last year Sunita Prakash, 21, who was five months’ pregnant, and Jasbir Singh, 22, were dragged from their home in Balla by a mob of her male relatives. The bodies of the couple, who had been strangled, were found in front of her father’s house. The couple were members of the Jat caste. Their crime was to have fallen for each other despite living in the same village — a taboo similar to incest, according to Jat lore. “We are not ashamed of it . . . we have restored the village’s pride,†one of Ms Prakash’s cousins said. Police said that her father confessed to the murders. To counter a sharp rise in such crimes, a safe house will be established in the Rohtak district of Haryana. The scheme will be expanded if successful. Vikash Narain Rai, the director-general of police for Haryana, said: “Villagers are becoming more exposed to the outside world and young people are choosing to marry without getting their parents’ nod. “We have to take action as we’re seeing more and more cases of kids being harmed by their own kith and kin.†There are plans for a programme where police will explain the law to councils of village elders, who often sanction honour killings. “We’ll be telling them that these practices are bad parenting,†Mr Rai said. Javeed Alam, the chairman of the Indian Council of Social Science Research, said: “The safe house may provide temporary relief. What I think is needed is strong state protection to people who want to exit the community. But here is the catch: the government in Haryana is dominated by the Jats, and, I suspect, sizeable sections of the ruling establishment are in sympathy with the perpetrators of crime.†The Times of India said last week: “In many of these cases, local law enforcement agencies are loath to disrupt the social balance by enforcing the law of the land. They turn a blind eye to the illegal activities condoned by village elders.†The National Crime Records Bureau in India does not list “honour killings†as a separate crime. However, according to Jagmati Sagwan, of the All-India Democratic Women’s Association, six or seven cases are reported every month in Haryana. Many more are thought to go unreported. A recent survey by the International Institute for Population Sciences found that 95 per cent of marriages in India were arranged by a bride and groom’s families and that most women were never asked their wishes. Relationships that defied convention and crossed caste divides often ended violently, experts said. The Indian Home Minister, P Chidambaram, said: “We should hang our heads in shame when such incidents take place in the 21st century.†He outlined proposals including all-women police stations, but rejected calls for a new law. “Honour killing is murder,†he said. “It would have to be dealt with as murder and tried as murder.â€

They should be all given death penalty for wasting oxygen on earth. Education is the key to progress and India is no different.
Even many educated people abhor inter-caste marriages. Majority of Indians have varying degrees of caste feeling and I am talking about today's youth.

I had a friend whose father did the below for the pride of his JAT-hood * stopped his sister from marrying her bf since he was from lower caste, she was forced to marry someone else who died 10 years later since he was an alcoholic * Stopped his brother from marrying his love and now he is 50 years old and single. He never married *His son (my friend) had a GF for 5 years and when they decided to get married his father didnt allow them since girl is from a dalit family. I was shocked when he stopped his son from marrying his GF cuz I thought that after the first 2 mistakes he would realized how wrong he was. PS: This a family that lives in the US , educated (doctors , engineers etc )

Atleast will you agree that it is not confined to Islam alone !
obviously! Sikhs in Canada do it, Kurds in Iraq has done it before.... but majority of the cases are related to muslims. However, I have noticed...cases involving Hindus, Sikhs and others usually take the "cast" part as the reason for 'honor killing' ...but when it comes to muslims...it is usually the religion Islam that takes the prime factor...;ie: muslim girls are killed by their brother or father for mingling with non muslim boys I have never heard of any Hindu father killing their daughter coz she married a christian or a muslim....very very very rare case...as oppose to majority of muslim cases..... either way it's wrong period.

hang on a second... educate me on this... are honor killings prevalent outside islamic families? if so' date=' when where and more significantly why?[/quote'] Oh yes, they do. I knew a Marwadi family that killed the daughter and her son after 2 years of the marriage. Everyone in that family was highly educated. Bihar and UP report the most cases of honor killing. I remember reading a case that happened in the middle of Mumbai. The couple eloped, caught and killed. Closer home, one of my own relatives (I say with great embarrassment), contemplated killing his daughter and her lover because he was from a lower caste (we are Bramhins). I had tried to convince him otherwise, but he and his son attacked the boy. It was only after the local police threatened them with serious consequences that he changed his intentions.

Guest Gunner

Getting a degree doesn't mean educated. Being educated is different from acquiring an educational qualification. 95% of India to my mind is uneducated.

how do you know :hmmm: ? In some cases its true but not in MOST .. :nono:
The rationale behind this is rampant female infanticide, dowry, considering female child as a burden on the family etc. This might not happen in affluent families, but in rural India its fairly common.

The rationale behind this is rampant female infanticide' date=' dowry, considering female child as a burden on the family etc. This might not happen in affluent families, but in rural India its fairly common.[/quote'] You are not very familiar with the Indian social system. You have impressions from what you have read.

You are not very familiar with the Indian social system. You have impressions from what you have read.
Not sure how you derived that conclusion, but I was born in India and have lived there for over 25 years, so know the social fabric very well. Also, dont see anything wrong in learning about something by reading. Are you saying female infanticide, dowry, preference for a male progeny etc. dont exist in India?

Most of haryana lives in the dark ages.Women are treated worse than cattle. Taliban would be proud of the khap panchayats who give out death,rape and boycott fatwas regularly and publically without fear of law.Politicians dare not oppose for fear of losing votes and that means police turn a blind eye because they suffer at the hands of the politicians if they dare take action.