Samsung Cup '04: India tours Pakistan

graphic23

Away from the on-field actions, that was the 1st time i found message boards...i mean any message boards. I found the BBC first and learned that a lot of stupid people live in the world. Then padosee's website and found learned that a lot of people live in denial. Then i found ICF and learned that Indians hate our cricketers.

The buildup to the series was great and it was one of the most awaited series for me for a while. Awesome Series that was! The coverage and atmosphere was one of best I've ever seen surrounding a series. Right from the start, the Karachi match would provide a dream start for the series and the one the most vivid in my memory. The National Stadium was packed and the atmosphere and the femmes were electrifying. Here's what I recall when I try to gather those foggy memories of the Ist ODI. Rana Naved No-ball Over The Rana Naved over was one of the highlights. Sehwag kept butchering him but Naved kept coming in strong even though he bowled a lot of no-balls. You could see the fighting spirit in the man. Dravid on 99 050569.jpg Then the next moment came when Dravid was on 99 and facing Akhtar. Pressure got the better of Dravid as he tried to hit one onto the legside and got bowled. He was annoyed with himself clearly and Akhtar followed it up with his finger nodded action. The Fightback 050581.jpg So India got 349 and after the early fall of wickets, everyone believed the match was over. But Moyo (Youhana back then) and Inzi had other ideas. A boundary was coming each over easily and the singles were taken. Without anyone noticing Pakistan were on the charge and India for once looked a little nervous. Inzi completed a brilliant century however the goal was still far. The Catch 050579.icon.jpg Kaif's brilliant forward running catch to snatch it from the hands of Badani(I think) was a poster style catch. This was at an important phase of the match as Pakistan required only 10 from 8 balls for victory. The Final Showdown So it had come to the last over with Pakistan requiring 10 runs from 6 deliveries. Ashish Nehra was given the final over and it was tense. One can recall the Miandad gesturing to Moin Khan what to do. That probably confused the batsman more than help. Mr. Nehra bowled India to victory with the last over. The commentary from Cricinfo

49.1Nehra to Naved-ul-Hasan, no run
49.2Nehra to Naved-ul-Hasan, 1 run
49.3Nehra to Moin Khan, no run
49.4Nehra to Moin Khan, 1 run
49.5Nehra to Naved-ul-Hasan, 1 run
49.6Nehra to Moin Khan, OUT
Moin Khan c Khan b Nehra 16 (35m 17b 0x4 0x6) SR: 94.11 

A great match this was! For the rest of the Series * I was impressed with Shabbir Ahmed's bowling. It was erratic and dangerous at the same time. * VVS century in the final ODI to seal the series for India. * The Smiling Assasin Balaji 050571.jpg

Simply the best ODI series that was. That brilliant Sachin catch literary took the series away from Pakistan. Eventhough Pakistan lost, I enjoyed every moment of that series b/c of all the passion, support, crowd, build-up and high quality games b/w both sides. Don't think we will ever witness such a series again.

To me, telecasting of this series broke away from the normal BS foggy and shoddy pictures. Since then, no series has been covered so 'clearly' in the subcontinent for some odd reasons. As we are talking about ODI series, I admired the way Nehra confidentally went up to Ganguly and asked for the ball to bowl the last over. He nonchalantly bowled his yorkers to perfection and did not try to do anything fancy. - Nehra's double in the 4th ODI (correct me ?) in the 40th over (he cleaned up Inzi and Moin mia) very eye soothingly. - Tendulkar's ton in pindi; fighting a lone hand during a mammoth chase. - Kaif and SRT's catch were defying moments in India's ODI 1 and ODI 5 game respectively. - Pakistan getting close to India's target out of nowhere (thanks to Inzi and YoYo (back then) fightback) - Balaji's six off Shoaib - Irfan's magic in ODI 5 Too many to list. It clearly is the best series ever in which India and Pakistan were involved.

Terrific post ludhianvi! This was a terrific series. Here are my highlights of the series - - Tendulkar hooking Actor for a 6 over fine leg - Sehwag killing Rana(1st ODI) - Kaif's catch - Brainless Nehra's full toss to Moin which thankfully did not go for six - Legendary Tendulkar ton in the second game (1st 100 by an Indian on Pak soil) - Powar and Balaji nearly pulling off the impossible - Great batting from the lower order in the third game to take us to a decent total - The Dravid and Kaif partnership in the fourth game - Laxman's classy ton in the decider - Pathan ripping out the Pak top order with Toffee's leg stump going for a walk being the most memorable - SRT's stunner to get rid of Inzi - Balaji uprooting Moin Cant's danda to seal the series win.