The Greatest Batsman: Post 1950

These discussions are pointless. There have been many classy batsman since the 1950s. You want to discuss since the 50s and yet you talk about batsmen from the last 20 years. What about Len Hutton, Sobers, Frank Worrell, Alvin Kallicharan, Gordon Greenidge, Geoffrey Boycott, David Gower, Greg Chappell......I can just keep going on. There have been too many good players in the game of cricket to anoint one as the greatest. Sachin shall and will always be counted as the greatest to have played the game. No one will forget him, you dont need to start threads like these to prove that. However if you want to discuss some great batsman since the 1950s, their game, technique and approach - now that can be a whole lot of fun.

It is difficult to compare,each era has its own advantages disadvantages.Now pitches are more flat but technology is advanced to find the weaknesses of the batsmen and bowler,so challenges are there. In the 70s and 80s, we had such an array of fast bowlers like Marshall,Holding,Garner,Roberts,Lillee,Thomson,Bob Willis,Imran,Hadlee with no that much protective equipment and no bouncer rules.Batsmen had a tough time.

It is difficult to compare,each era has its own advantages disadvantages.Now pitches are more flat but technology is advanced to find the weaknesses of the batsmen and bowler,so challenges are there. In the 70s and 80s, we had such an array of fast bowlers like Marshall,Holding,Garner,Roberts,Lillee,Thomson,Bob Willis,Imran,Hadlee with no that much protective equipment and no bouncer rules.Batsmen had a tough time.
where they better than wasim waqar mcgrath walsh ambrose lee donald pollock akhtar warne murali saqlain...and some very good ones like gough,gillespie,ntini,bond,mcdermott,streak,.........today the batsman gets out when it is a close run out earlier no chance,close catches also given,more amount of cricket plaayed so u hv to be much more fitter....... forgot to mention neutral umpires............some players were made to look better than they were due to some patriotic umpiring...

When we discuss top 10 quick bowlers of the last 30 years time the chances of getting into the list in no order Marshall Hadlee Imran Mcgrath Lillee Holding Wasim Ambrose Donald/Waqar I think it is evenly matched. As for other things you mentioned,thats what I mentioned it is not comparable.So basically todays players are better because of these factors,I cannot tell that.

What about Asian bradman the pakistani' date=' Zaheer Abbas? discuss about him too[/quote'] To me Zaheer is as good as Kambli of India. I laugh my rear end off when Pakis talk about him being great. Just slice and dice his data. He was a HUGE home bully. He averages about 35 outside Pakistan and it is even worse when you take out England. If I am not wrong - he averages less than 30 in all other countries and he has toured all the countries atleast twice and I think he has like 3 or maybe 4 hundreds outside Pakistan. (Can somebody verify that ). This guy wouldnt even get into my Top 20 in Asia. Heck I consider players like Salim Malik, Basit Ali, Moshin Khan and Majid Khan to be better than him and thats saying a lot. For some reason he did very well in England and you know the Yesteryears English Press -- they just go gaga about anybody who did well there and the English Press used to rule the world till 1985 or so. It is like whatever they said was a fact.

Zaheer Abbas averages 40.62 in Australia in 15 matches and 56.06 in England in 9 matches. But he has got only 3 centuries in Australia and England, West Indies and NZ combined and these are the only places outside the subcontinent he played. In NZ he averaged 15.66 and his overall average against NZ is 17.83. In India, he averaged 28.45, but his average against India overall is an astounding 87 which includes a 235*. This shows that though he failed badly in India, he scored heavily against India in Pakistan. But the team that was feared the most in those days- in West Indies, he averaged 21.83 and his overall average against WI is even worse at 18.50. This gives an impression that he was a good player, but the comparison with Bradman sounds like a joke. I have never seen him play- may be someone who knows more can shed some light.