Mid-end to High end laptop suggestion

Zap_Brannigan

I am looking for a laptop too. But what i am looking for is different. I have a HP laptop (17 inch, 3.2 Ghz, all the works from 4 years ago) but its always noisy and hot. I am looking for a Light, low noise and low heat laptop which is able to run HD video and maybe even current games. I got my last laptop for over 2000$ but i dont wanna spend that again. Lower screen size is ok if cost is too high. No macs or linux. Should be able to run windows 7.

Another reason i want to change my laptop is because the hinges of the screen have almost broken i.e. if i shake the table the screen will come crashing down. Plus its a bit outdated in the graphics card and ram section. I had my laptop for around 4.5 years and i think its time to let go. Is Vaio good for games and HD movies? What models should i be looking at? Whats special about Oct 22?

Personally, I've heard only bad things about VAIOs. And I think Shane & Domaink also said something similar in another thread. I'd probably recommend Lenovo because several of my friends have it and they've had zero problems with it. Also, look into HP - a close friend of mine bought a 17" HP with a high-end graphics card and a lot of RAM for a decent price (IIRC $1300-$1500).

Personally, I've heard only bad things about VAIOs. And I think Shane & Domaink also said something similar in another thread. I'd probably recommend Lenovo because several of my friends have it and they've had zero problems with it. Also, look into HP - a close friend of mine bought a 17" HP with a high-end graphics card and a lot of RAM for a decent price (IIRC $1300-$1500).
I have HP 17 " but its just noisy and hot..its been like that unless i clean it every month. Too much hassle. Would rather get a diff. brand.

Studio XPS 16 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB) Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit System Color Option Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms) LCD Panel Edge-to-Edge HD+ Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1600x900) W/2.0 MP Video Card ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB Hard Drive 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages DVD+/-RW or Bluray Drive 8X DVD+/- RW(DVD/CD read/write) Slot Load Drive Sound Card Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled Wireless Networking Cards Intel® 5100 WLAN Wireless-N (1x2) Half Mini Card Productivity No Microsoft Office Software - Antivirus McAfee SecurityCenter , 24-Months Battery Options 6-cell Battery Hardware Support Services 2 Yr Ltd Warranty, On-site Service, and 2 Yr Tech Support Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested LCD and Camera 15.6 HD+ WLED Display in Obsidian Black with 2.0 MP Webcam Processor Branding Intel® Centrino™ 2 Labels Windows Vista™ Premium TOTAL: $1,274.00

p_k, one reason to not buy Dell is that I've found that their hardware is generally of a lower quality than others. I've had a terrible experience with an Inspiron that I bought 2.5 years ago. But I guess one cannot generalize. I just would never personally get a Dell Laptop again. Their desktops are awesome though. Mine is 8.5 years old and it runs really well.

Frankly speaking I have always wanted to buy a laptop which does not become hot but there is none I can find. Being a webmaster I use my laptops upto 15-20 hours a day and no laptop is able to take the burden. Most of my laptops do not even last the warranty period. So, I just buy cheaper core2duo laptops nowadays with good configuration instead of buying the expensive ones. I know that my laptop would hardly run properly without any problems for more than a 6-8 months. :giggle: Guys if anybody knows of a laptop which does not become hot even after extensive usage then please inform me. I also want it as I have never been able to find one.

p_k' date=' one reason to not buy Dell is that I've found that their hardware is generally of a lower quality than others. I've had a terrible experience with an Inspiron that I bought 2.5 years ago. But I guess one cannot generalize. I just would never personally get a Dell Laptop again. Their desktops are awesome though. Mine is 8.5 years old and it runs really well.[/quote'] If you are staying in India, I wont advise a dell laptop because there are hardly any dell customer service centres in India. My trusted computer shops also advise me against buying dell laptops for the same reason. Go for a laptop which has good number of customer service centers in India. HP, Lenovo, LG, Acer, Wipro etc. are all fine if you want to go. If you want a funky laptop, you might also want to check out the new e go range of laptops of Wipro. They are selling like hotcakes but I think they look too funky and girly. I like their mini range more than the normal range though. You can check out some e go laptops here http://www.egobywipro.com http://shopping.indiatimes.com/i/f/t/Ego_Laptops-cat-976473-pc--ctl-20376831-&q=&sid=&bid=&