Anger at Montblanc's Gandhi pen

Ram

Mention Mahatma Gandhi and many think of fasting, restraint and the struggle for Indian independence. _46485494_montblancap.jpg He renounced material comforts, promoted Indian goods and embraced a simple, ascetic life. These images jar with German pen maker Montblanc's launch of a $25,000 pen to mark the 140th anniversary of his birth. Some see it as an insult to him. One group has filed a lawsuit to try to stop its distribution. Montblanc says it is intended to honour Gandhi. 'A simple lifestyle' The $25,000 (£16,000) gold and silver limited edition pen has an engraving of Mahatma Gandhi, the man seen as the father of Indian independence and revered as a global spiritual leader. Critics have questioned if the Montblanc pen is the best way to honour Gandhi. The Center for Consumer Education in Kerala has filed a lawsuit to try to stop distribution of the pen. "Mahatma Gandhi advocated a simple lifestyle," Dijo Kappen of the centre said. "He was, of course, a nationalist and, in the nature of the independence movement, the only thing he promoted was Indian-made goods. It is a mockery of the great man and an insult to the nation... to use him as a poster boy." A fitting tribute? The limited edition pen is intended to honour Gandhi, the German premium pen maker said. "I certainly have to say, I wouldn't have thought that people would have reacted negatively," Montblanc's chief executive Lutz Bethge told the BBC. "Yes, there were questions asked. Does it make sense to combine Montblanc and Mahatma Gandhi? But from what I noticed people were delighted that we were paying tribute to him." Just 241 of the handmade pens will be sold, in reference to the number of miles Gandhi walked in his famous march against salt taxes in 1930. Each comes with an eight-metre golden thread that can be wound around the pen, representing the spindle and cotton Gandhi used to weave simple cloth. "What we want to do is talk about the values of Mahatma Gandhi as well. And this is certainly a person who believed in non-violence, peace, education and tolerance, and these are universal values," added Mr Bethge. Gandhi's great-grandson Tushar Gandhi has endorsed the idea. His charitable foundation has already received a donation of $145,000 from Montblanc and will receive between $200 and $1,000 for each pen sold. "Part of the proceeds are donated to the Gandhi foundation. That is certainly something Gandhi would have approved of," said Mr Bethge. For those who find the pen a little out of their price range, there is a more affordable version - there are 3,000 roller ball and fountain pens on sale for about $3,000 dollars each. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8287754.stm --------------------------------------------------- :hmmm:

Some people kick up a fuss about anything.
I beg to differ ...Whats the point in bringing this pen which costs lakhs of rupees and only riches of rich can afford, when Mahatma personified simplicity? They are just making money in the name of mahatma...We should do everything to propagate his values, his ideas , no point propagating Gandhi,the man... that too bringing out a luxury pen :protest::protest:

I beg to differ ...Whats the point in bringing this pen which costs lakhs of rupees and only riches of rich can afford' date=' when Mahatma personified simplicity? They are just making money in the name of mahatma...We should do everything to propagate his values, his ideas , no point propagating Gandhi,the man... that too bringing out a luxury pen :protest::protest:[/quote'] Better than hanging his photo in a frame on a wall and do unlimited corruption in the same room. At least these guys are straightforward. No one from outside can ever offend the mahatma as we do inside India.

Better than hanging his photo in a frame on a wall and do unlimited corruption in the same room. At least these guys are straightforward. No one from outside can ever offend the mahatma as we do inside India.
also, how can a pen be offensive?? we have statues out doors that get poo'd and pee'd on no one cares about that!

People should be happy that a company like Mont Blanc is paying respects to Gandhi.
You are right...Now I am real happy that a big western company has recognized our icon who conceptualized "swaraj" or self-governance.How we can spread his values unless these big western corporates bring out costly pens and other expensive items in the name of Gandhi..? you are absolutely right...

You are right...Now I am real happy that a big western company has recognized our icon who conceptualized "swaraj" or self-governance.How we can spread his values unless these big western corporates bring out costly pens and other expensive items in the name of Gandhi..? you are absolutely right...
i agree with ur sentiments which is why i have mixed feelings about it.... then again if the idea is to honour Gandhi jee then nothing anything does will ever be enough to me its the fact that he is being recognised and honoured that counts

Better than hanging his photo in a frame on a wall and do unlimited corruption in the same room. At least these guys are straightforward. No one from outside can ever offend the mahatma as we do inside India.
Word.

Thats ok, but is selling a $25,000 pen, the best form of 'tribute' to the great man? If they wanted to honor him, they could have released a special edition pen that was a little more affordable and could donated all of the proceeds to charity. Obviously, they chose not to do that. Just like how that NGO is nuts for filing this lawsuit (every company has the right to make money through lawful, responsible means), the company itself, isnt fooling anyone by calling this a 'tribute'. They want to make money out of the Gandhi brand, full stop. P.S; How about this for a wacky conspiracy theory? The MontBlanc company decides to make the pen, bribes the NGO into filing the the lawsuit. The issue's all over the news. The NGO gets free publicity over this lawsuit, MontBlanc gets free publicity over this pen. Everyone's a winner. :yay:

Thats ok, but is selling a $25,000 pen, the best form of 'tribute' to the great man? If they wanted to honor him, they could have released a special edition pen that was a little more affordable and may donated all of the proceeds to charity. Obviously, they chose not to do that. Just like how that NGO is nuts for filing this lawsuit (every company has the right to make money through lawful, responsible means), it company itself, isnt fooling anyone by calling this a 'tribute'. They want to make money out of the Gandhi brand, full stop. P.S; How about this for a wacky conspiracy theory? The MontBlanc company decides to make the pen, bribes the NGO into filing the the lawsuit. The issue's all over the news. The NGO gets free publicity over this lawsuit, MontBlanc gets free publicity over this pen. Everyone's a winner. :yay:
Now you are thinking like a true padosi. :P