Gmat

Guest Gunner

Guest Gunner

Has anyone here taken or plans to take the GMAT in the near future? I am planning to do so in December. A discussion about this could be helpful to moi if there are people on board with similar interests. Let me know lads and ladies.

Has anyone here taken or plans to take the GMAT in the near future? I am planning to do so in December. A discussion about this could be helpful to moi if there are people on board with similar interests. Let me know lads and ladies.
Hi Gunner, Took the GMAT in 05' for my MBA the following year. X-XI standard mathematics is what they call Quantitative - a very easy 95 percentile + for us desis. Verbal is 1) Sentence Correction + 2) Comprehention + 3) Critical Analysis. Verbal is tricky and requires tremendous practice - I spent like 80 % of my study time on this. Books referred - 1)GMAT official guide ( this is the closest to the actual exam) 2)Kaplan ( slightly tougher than the actual exam - if you score 700+ on Kaplan mock tests, you surely will score 700+ on the actual exam. 3) Solved the IMS CAT books for more Quant practice 4) Used Princeton Verbal review for tips and tricks. Preparation time - 3 months. Scored a 740 back in Sep'05. Idea is too solve as many mock tests and practice tests as possible.

Guest Gunner
i am giving my gmat on november 11..planning to join fall 2010 too buddy...
Hey, I am planning to take it in December. I haven't set the date so far as I am busy with work and can study only in the evenings. But I am fairly sure I will take it in December this year.:winky:

Guest Gunner
Hi Gunner, Took the GMAT in 05' for my MBA the following year. X-XI standard mathematics is what they call Quantitative - a very easy 95 percentile + for us desis. Verbal is 1) Sentence Correction + 2) Comprehention + 3) Critical Analysis. Verbal is tricky and requires tremendous practice - I spent like 80 % of my study time on this. Books referred - 1)GMAT official guide ( this is the closest to the actual exam) 2)Kaplan ( slightly tougher than the actual exam - if you score 700+ on Kaplan mock tests, you surely will score 700+ on the actual exam. 3) Solved the IMS CAT books for more Quant practice 4) Used Princeton Verbal review for tips and tricks. Preparation time - 3 months. Scored a 740 back in Sep'05. Idea is too solve as many mock tests and practice tests as possible.
Hi Patriot, Thanks a lot for the detailed post. Good stuff. 1) I am a CA so I haven't done mathematics in about 10 yrs. So I really have to brush up on the geometry formulas. On the arithmetic side I am pretty sound so I am not worried too much. But like you said practice matters for the Quant. 2) I will look into the verbal side to see if there are some specific things to look out for. I will get in touch with you if I need some clarification. 3) I got the Kaplan review latest edition + Kaplan test prep so I think this should really help. 4) I am actually planning to do it with about 2 months preparation. Hopefully this should do. :pray: Finally, I understand that the GMAT scores by themselves are not sufficient to take you into a top notch MBA. Are there some other specific factors which you can share? I am also in touch with a couple of other guys who just got into big name European business schools. So I will be talking to them too.

I think it is similar to GRE. :dontknow: Lots of mock tests. Start with a mock test and u will know ur weakness. Then prepare, and come back. I hardly "studied" anything. Just lotsa mock tests for my GRE. (M - 760 :embarassed: , V - 630 :(( )

Guest Gunner
I think it is similar to GRE. :dontknow: Lots of mock tests. Start with a mock test and u will know ur weakness. Then prepare, and come back. I hardly "studied" anything. Just lotsa mock tests for my GRE. (M - 760 :embarassed: , V - 630 :(( )
Isn't that a sucky? One of my cousins took the GRE like 10 years ago, he had a perfect score and I mean perfect (I think back then it was a score of 2400). He got into Stanford.

Anyone from the land of Ramanujam and Aryabhatta who doesn't get 800 on GRE quant WITHOUT practice should just kill themselves (or atleast promise to not have any kids..so as to not further degrade the Indian gene). You :fail: , please die.
lol, who are these guys.. Idk Btw, what's good-excellent score for GMAT? I hear the math level is high school level.

Guest Gunner
lol, who are these guys.. Idk Btw, what's good-excellent score for GMAT? I hear the math level is high school level.
GMAT average in ISB India is 790/800. This is 50 points clear of any other B-school in the world. So I am going to pay more and study abroad I guess. :P