How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

Bumper

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

People like about Wasim being the best in the last 20 years. I think McG blows out him out the water with performances like these time and time again.
That's a tough one! Well put it this way i'll have Mcgrath with the new ball and Wasim with the old ball.. Mcgrath against a new batsman while Wasim against a settled batsman.. Mcgrath in bowling friendly conditions while Wasim in batting conditions...have Wasim to open the door for me and Mcgrath to close it.

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? Munda u can give Wasim/McGrath any ball, any batsman, any pitch u want. This is a no brainer, McGrath will come out on top 100% of the time. Akram is a better entertainer yes, but the better bowler is McGrath by miles. Akram has NEVER been a no. 1 bowler in the ICC test rankings thru out his career. McGrath literally ruled the rankings chart for years. McG's stats against every country (perhaps barring NZ & may be SL) and on every surface, is better than Akram's. And unlike Akram who took out several tailenders with his reverse swing, the bulk of McG's haul is the top order

Munda u can give Wasim/McGrath any ball, any batsman, any pitch u want. This is a no brainer, McGrath will come out on top 100% of the time. Akram is a better entertainer yes, but the better bowler is McGrath by miles. Akram has NEVER been a no. 1 bowler in the ICC test rankings thru out his career. McGrath literally ruled the rankings chart for years. McG's stats against every country (perhaps barring NZ & may be SL) and on every surface, is better than Akram's. And unlike Akram who took out several tailenders with his reverse swing, the bulk of McG's haul is the top order
Perhaps the best judges of bowler are the batsmen who have actually faced him and it's quite clear that most batsmen of the 90s including Lara, Adams, Jayasuria, A Desilva and S Waugh rate Wasim as the most difficult bowler to face.(don't know about Sachin) This is what Lara said while comparing the 2 "Over my 15 or 16 years of playing international cricket in Tests and one-day internationals, Wasim Akram is definitely the most outstanding bowler I've ever faced," Lara said. "But that doesn't take away from the fact that (McGrath) is an outstanding fast bowler and he deserves to be up there with the very best." Then there is that famous quote from S Waugh and a lots of other words of admiration for Wasim by batsmen all around the world. So if you are just going to go by stats then Mcgrath will definately win( even though Wasim has a much better stats in Asian conditions) but if you are going to talk to the players who actually played with or against them then you will find that Wasim will come out on top by something like a 10:1 ratio.

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? ^^ So now u wanna cling to what players think, eh ? :hic: Akram never troubled Tendu, whereas he was literally owned by McGrath in every key encounter. So if u ask SRT, he'll tell u the opposite of what u heard from Lara. Opinions vary from person to person. Numbers dont lie. McGrath's numbers are way better than Akram's in almost every category. There is no debate.

^^ So now u wanna cling to what players think, eh ? :hic: Akram never troubled Tendu, whereas he was literally owned by McGrath in every key encounter. So if u ask SRT, he'll tell u the opposite of what u heard from Lara. Opinions vary from person to person. Numbers dont lie. McGrath's numbers are way better than Akram's in almost every category. There is no debate.
Opinions do vary but we are talking about people who have actually batted against both bowlers and when it is a 10: 1 ratio it really makes you wonder!

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? I'd rather watch Wasim bowl over McGrath. Wasim was a magician. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have McGrath over Wasim in my side. Wouldn't you MP? In ODIs, Wasim=McGrath In tests, McGrath>>>Wasim

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? It will be good to find out How many top order wickets Akram has compare to McGrath. How many set batsman did Akram get out? set meaning they are 50+...compare to McGrath.. Akram always thought of ways to get batsman out..whereas McGrath's biggest strength is patience..and thats where he wins hands down.. Remember spell by McGrath against Sachin in Australia..5 maiden overs in a row or something..nothing spectacular...but playing with Sachin's patience..thats what he was good at.. Akram was magician...bowler who loved to make things happen.

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? However, there is one aspect in Wasim's favour. I really haven't seem him get butchered in ODIs. I've seen McGrath taken to the cleaners on quite a few occasions(quite a few times by SRT, once by Afretard).

However' date=' there is one aspect in Wasim's favour. I really haven't seem him get butchered in ODIs. I've seen McGrath taken to the cleaners on quite a few occasions(quite a few times by SRT, once by Afretard).[/quote'] Centurion'03

However' date=' there is one aspect in Wasim's favour. I really haven't seem him get butchered in ODIs. I've seen McGrath taken to the cleaners on quite a few occasions(quite a few times by SRT, once by Afretard).[/quote'] Centurion'03
Hardly, he only went for 48 runs in his 10 overs.

I'd rather watch Wasim bowl over McGrath. Wasim was a magician. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have McGrath over Wasim in my side. Wouldn't you MP? In ODIs, Wasim=McGrath In tests, McGrath>>>Wasim
It will be a horses for courses thing, may be Wasim in Asia and Mcgrath everywhere else. It's really hard for me to ignore Mcgrath's amazing stats but at the same time i can't also ignore the fact that most of the opposition batsmen found Wasim as by far the more difficult bowler to face.

However' date=' there is one aspect in Wasim's favour. I really haven't seem him get butchered in ODIs. I've seen McGrath taken to the cleaners on quite a few occasions(quite a few times by SRT, once by Afretard).[/quote'] While your statement is generally true, I have seen Wasim being taken to cleaners on quite a few occasion. Early in his career , I remember against England in the famous benson hedges trophy 1985 which India won , Alan Lamb absolutely smashed his bowling. Also, I remember Botham hit Wasim for four consecutive fours in a over once. Their other occasions like in the texaco trophy versus England in 1987 where went for lot of runs and Alan Lamb was the aggressor again.