A better WC format?

On 4/27/2007 at 4:26 AM, Predator_05 said:

Re: A better WC format? The 1992 format was the best. A round-robin in the first stage which sees each and every side playing each other once. The 4 teams which amass the maximum # of points after that stage will advance to the semi-finals. Short and succint - just as tournaments ought to be. I reckon the shorter the better, as that way your audience won't lose interest and each and every match will be treated with the utmost importance. I'd also limit the # of minnows - Ireland and Kenya should be enough. Personally, if it were up to me - i'd abandon the entire World Cup thing altogether and use a "league" format for ODI's; played out over the course of a proper season (AUG-MAY). In addition to the Test playing sides, i'd also introduce Ireland, Kenya and one other wildcard for the sake of variety. Each team plays the other in 5 match bilateral series home and away at differing points of the season. A series win equates to 3 points, and an unassilable clean sweep (ie; a 3-0) allows the series winner to pick up 4 points. Whichever side amasses the most points at the end of the season wins the LG Hero Honda Pepsi Cola Hutch Bank Alfalah Fosters Coors Light Marlboro One Day International Championship for that season. I know this is merely a b'astardized version of the league format used in European football leagues, but i think it's far more interesting. It will certainly reduce the gap between the Australians and the rest as even the World Champs will need to sustain a high level of form throughout A SEASON rather than just a few weeks; which is far more difficult. With a format like this, a 3-0 defeat in New Zealand would pose a serious threat to their chances of winning the ODI Championship, instead of being some inconsequential series which no one will ever remember.

Bump..