Nehra is awful and should not be anywere near Indian team

2009 ODI stats: Nehra: 29 wickets at 29.00. Econ - 5.86 Ishant: 29 wickets at 31.10. Econ - 6.14 Zaheer: 10 wickets at 52.40. Econ - 5.95 Praveen: 17 wickets at 42.29. Econ - 5.37 Fascinating stuff. Consider also that Ishant's wickets often come at the death of an innings, as noted by this statistical analysis. Moreover, Praveen rarely bowls many overs at the death, as his strength is with the new ball where few bowlers for India are expensive.

His breakthrough made a big difference. He bowled really well today
Yeah, his werid trajectory can disrupt the batsman's rhythm and the high bouncer was a good idea to dismiss Dilshan. He has days where he is very expensive, but overall bowls well and is a valuable asset to have on flat pitches.

What that he returned just about ok figures for the first time in ages. Not even brilliant fgures or very good. Just about ok!!! Yet the Nehra fan club decide its the moment to show case their champs brillinace. Its like a batter getting low score after low score and then suddenly getting a 40. Hardly time to start lauding him. Every dog has its day and today he did not even have it. He is pants and should go back to village cricket were he belongs

No' date=' I think he is quite an average bowler and can have some good days. But the bottomline is that he is the best we have at the moment, has remained fit and has been our best performer in ODIs this year.[/quote'] Since champions trophy he has been dreadful and proved my OP correct as thats when I posted it. The fact you admit he is average sums it up. Average ain't good enough. And if he is average then other bowlers like a tyagi and others should be playing so at least they can develop in to above average. I also dispute the fact he is average and would label Nehra as awful
Since champions trophy he has been dreadful and proved my OP correct as thats when I posted it. The fact you admit he is average sums it up. Average ain't good enough. And if he is average then other bowlers like a tyagi and others should be playing so at least they can develop in to above average. I also dispute the fact he is average and would label Nehra as awful
He may be average, but he's bowling better than everyone else and therefore he will continue to play.
Well the best for Indian team is that he is no were near the team. And bumping a thread cos some chump gets a couple of wickets is frankly embarrasing.
To assess his impact by looking at the scorecard is very short-sighted. Anyone who watched or followed the game could tell that he played a vital role in resting the initiative away from Sri Lanka after they destroyed Zaheer and Ishant in the first four over for 58 runs.
Since champions trophy he has been dreadful and proved my OP correct as thats when I posted it.
He has not been fantastic, but he has been comparitively okay. It is not as if he is lagging behind while others clean up wickets or bowl tightly.
The fact you admit he is average sums it up. Average ain't good enough. And if he is average then other bowlers like a tyagi and others should be playing so at least they can develop in to above average.
Nehra has bowled well though. Even you concede that he was strong prior to the Champions Trophy. He is in a slight form slump at the moment and even in that state, is stronger than most of our other seam bowlers on most days.
He may be average' date=' but he's bowling better than everyone else and therefore he will continue to play.[/quote'] Agree. KT, until you can show me that Nehra is bowling consistently comparitively poorly, then you cannot say that he should be dropped ASAP.

Also

You can pan him as much as you want to, but no one can deny him the praise for doing well in international cricket after his comeback. After all those injuries, surgeries, physiotherapy sessions etc and being completely written off, the fact that he could comeback to the team in itself was a great achievement. As for him not being anywhere near the team, well, all you need to do is to take a look at his stats since his comeback and compare that to what oher bowlers have done in the same time. 16 matches, 25 wickets@26 and a ER of 5.58, agreed it isnt great, but it isnt bad either. This is what Indian bowlers have done since Nehra's comeback http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;spanmin1=25+Jun+2009;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=bowling This is the list of all the bowlers in the same period http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;spanmin1=25+Jun+2009;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling Pan him as much as you can and want to , but the fact is he has been our best bowler since his comeback.
Good post this. Prior to the current series but still worthy of a look, those links