The wonder that was Waz

Celeste

Despite struggling against injury and illness for much of his career,Akram went on to bring about a seminal change in the way cricket was played Wasim Akram played cricket like there was no tomorrow. And at times it felt like there wasn't. He retired from cricket more than once, was hectored to do so on several other occasions, and suffered the sack as captain and cricketer perhaps as often as any player in history. He was accused of cricket's most heinous crime and escaped the supreme sanction only because of his accuser's equivocations. Akram's technique was one of cricket's great wonders, defying all the usual injunctions of coaches. After a breakneck sprint, Akram barrelled through the crease, front foot pointing down the pitch, back foot toward the sightscreen, arm a blur. That he was able to repeat this almost 41,000 times in international cricket beggars beliefcaption http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/430006.html

This article is more about the ability of Gideon Haigh than Wasim Akram himself. Its not a tribute per se, nor should it be read that way, considering it was written in 2002 at the time when Akram was battling injury problems (hence so many mentions of his physical problems etc). I was not aware that Mr. Haigh was writing even back then but clearly he is a terrific writer and his little comment about how Akram could use a few spare parts(from his family business) brought a chuckle and admiration for the author. As for Akram, well he clearly was the artist of the late 80s and 90s. Bowling wise I fail to see anyone, including Warne, who was as mesmeric with his art. Easily one of the greatest bowlers I have seen and one of the top two of his times alongside Ambrose. xx