*** Official All Time Test XI Thread *** Pick Your Team

A few names that would make it to a all time world 11 without any questions: 1. Gavaskar: You won't find a better opener than Sunny. He was the best ever. 2. Bradman: The best batsman ever. 3. Gilchrist: There are many great wicketkeepers, but Gilly would make it above them for his batting abilities.

A few names that would make it to a all time world 11 without any questions: 3. Gilchrist: There are many great wicketkeepers, but Gilly would make it above them for his batting abilities.
I can understand Gilchrist being picked over Knott, Marsh or Healy, but saying he is an unquestionable pick is very subjective.

Wouldnt Knott and Healy have been better keepers? Bob Taylor was supposed to have been a better keep than Knott but Knott was a useful bat Can think of many others going back over the years- Les Ames, Godfrey Evans, Dujon, Jack Russell, Marsh of course, Boucher, Bradmans wk Don Tallon maybe? Sangakarra and Flower could pip Gilly for a WK-batsman spot

Surely the question should be Hobbs or Sehwag? Im not sure about Sehwag-hes a legend no doubt but the old 'weak bowling and flat batting pitches era' theory will come into play and effectively youre saying hes the 2nd best opener ever? big statement !

Hobbs or Gavaskar? Why is Lara that far down? I'd personally lean towards Tendulkar over him or Richards; and would in fact have a few others - Allan Border in particular - over IVAR. And why have you left out Inzamam, who is one of the greatest players of pace ever apparently? :winky:
I chose Lara over SRT, because I've seen so many innings of his where he cuts loose like crazy and scores at a scorching pace ...does not matter who is bowling, there is a boundary or two every over and then there is a mammoth 150+ score...same like Sehwag. SRT is a greatt steady player...and this all time great time can "afford" a slightly more inconsistent but damn bloody good Lara. Yeah he's a little bit down in the line up but..too many great players - his position could be swapped with Sobers'.
Surely the question should be Hobbs or Sehwag? Im not sure about Sehwag-hes a legend no doubt but the old 'weak bowling and flat batting pitches era' theory will come into play and effectively youre saying hes the 2nd best opener ever? big statement !
YEs it is. But look at the rate he scores runs ..nearly 80 runs/100 balls. At an avg of 50+ . He has done it everywhere. His 195 on the pacy and bouncy pitch in MElbourne in 2003, 2 triple tons, his toying with Murali and Mendis in Lanka in that super 201 knock, his tons in England , that match saving knock in the 3rd innings in Adelaide, that unbelievable knock ( 65 in some 40 balls) against England last year, chasing an impossible 380 on INdian pitches....10+ 150 knocks in his last 10 tons. HEs done enough in my book. Just the way he immediately puts the opposition on the back foot - like no one else who ever opened. If he ends up with 10K + test runs the rest of the world will also say the same.