*** Official All Time Test XI Thread *** Pick Your Team

I chose Lara over SRT' date=' because I've seen so many innings of his where he cuts loose like crazy and scores at a scorching pace ...does not matter who is bowling, there is a boundary or two every over and then there is a mammoth 150+ score...same like Sehwag. SRT is a greatt steady player...and this all time great time can "afford" a slightly more inconsistent but damn bloody good Lara.[/quote'] Well, if you wanted a guy in at 6 who could just score at a blazing pace and figured the top 5 would give you enough consistency... I'd personally promote Gilchrist up a notch, and then bring in Keith Miller who was certainly a thrilling batsman, and would give the attack serious fire as a fourth quick option. That said I'd personally pull Richards from 4, put either Lara/Tendulkar or Sobers there, and slot in Allan Border at 5 or 6. Re. your previous post, I am in agreement on the Sehwag factor. Even in that sort of lineup, a big knock from him could be more demoralizing than anything else his teammates may produce, which is saying something.

While choosing this team, You have to find the slowest players (make sure they have the least amount of sixes in their careers and exclude Sehwag). Think of the players which irritate you the most (please include them). Don't forget to add at least 3-4 players from the old times and the players you have only heard of but never really seen them play (mainly 70s and 80s to). Doing this will make your XI respectable because the unseen players are always better than the recent good players like sachin and dravid (sarcasm intended). Following all this will make others think that you have a good knowledge of cricket.

Well, if you wanted a guy in at 6 who could just score at a blazing pace and figured the top 5 would give you enough consistency... I'd personally promote Gilchrist up a notch, and then bring in Keith Miller who was certainly a thrilling batsman, and would give the attack serious fire as a fourth quick option. That said I'd personally pull Richards from 4, put either Lara/Tendulkar or Sobers there, and slot in Allan Border at 5 or 6. Re. your previous post, I am in agreement on the Sehwag factor. Even in that sort of lineup, a big knock from him could be more demoralizing than anything else his teammates may produce, which is saying something.
The way I see it..when you have 3 all time great solid batsmen averaging 50 odd ( Gavaskar and then counting Bradman as 2 players) , you can have the rest of the batsmen as out and out great attacking players..who are simply unstoppable ..the Vivs, Laras and Sobers who I hear could change gears with consummate ease. And then..have Gilchrist waiting behind. Relentless isn't it ? I read you article on Border - he truely was an all time great, a tough as nails SOB..who held very mediocre Aussie teams together. But I don't know if he was a guy who would tear apart the best of attacks and bat in a whirlwind manner.
While choosing this team' date=' You have to find the slowest players (make sure they have the least amount of sixes in their careers and exclude Sehwag). Think of the players which irritate you the most (please include them). Don't forget to add at least 3-4 players from the old times and the players you have only heard of but never really seen them play (mainly 70s and 80s to). Doing this will make your XI respectable because the unseen players are always better than the recent good players like sachin and dravid (sarcasm intended). Following all this will make others think that you have a good knowledge of cricket.[/quote'] Might surprise you to know that some people on this board DO actually have a very good knowledge of cricket! Obviously we havent seen old timers, we have to go by what we have read and heard And alot have included Sachin in their teams. But look at the competition he is facing - for an ALL TIME XI bear in mind- the likes of Lara, Richards, Border- all of whom you can argue a good case for. Lara is a recent player and he's in alot of the teams. Dravid is a legend but he is NOT good enough for an all time XI.

To be honest a world all time 11 should be done from players from around late 60s onwards. As before that cricket was basically england v aussies. Crciket really became competitive when other nations developed like windies, india and paks at around that time. Thus my world 11 is from late 60s onwards. 1 Gavaskar 2 Hayden 3 Richards 4 Tendulkar 5 Sobers 6 Lara 7 Gilchrist 8 Marshall 9 Mcgrath 10 Ambrose 11 Murali