Talent vs Hardwork

Malcolm Merlyn

For years cricket has its sgare of people who are supremely talented and people who achieve by sheer hardwork. People like sehwag sachin yuvraj ganguly are examples of supremely talented where as some one like Dravid or Kumble may be had a little less talent but made up to greatness due to sheer hardwork. DISCUSS

Hm. true enough perhaps. Most of the world class internationals married sheer talunntt with hard work- Tendulkar im sure spends hours at the nets Dravid is a defensive batsman but when you see him playing his shots you know he's got talent in spades. With others- Mark Waugh springs to mind- abundant talent, if theyd only had a bit more grit about them would have been true greats. There are parrelels in real life. Most people who are really good i.e successful in the world, have a bit of spark/intelligence (i.e talent) about them. Not many people are 'un-talented' yet make it big with sheer effort alone. I disagree with Einsteins 'Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% persp..' You def need a lot of perspiration but Its a great deal more than 1% inspiration thats makes a genius Id say.

Sachin may be talented, but he has put in ridiculous amount of hard work to get where he is today. He would train in the morning, play a match, if he got out, he'd go to another match and bat there, this would go on all day depending on whether he got out again or not, then go back to nets and train there till sun down. And this was a daily process

From what I have observed, in cricket, it takes talent to make it to the international level, but it takes temperament and hard work to stay there. Anyone who makes it to the final 11 is definitely talented, but talent is not enough to make a prolonged career there. Hard work is is necessary for everyone of them. Lets take the example of Yuvraj Singh. When he was new, he was careless. He clicked sometimes, failed other times. He never had a permanent place till he actually started working hard overcoming his weaknesses. He improved his patience level, his shot selection, his game against quality spinners. He spent hours with Sachin in the nets before he scored that century against Lanka. Hard work is something everyone can do. And I have learned from my experience that in top competition, you can almost take it for granted that everyone works hard. However, the definition of hard work can be different for different individuals. With naturally gifted people, I have observed, over work can result in less productivity. If Sehwag plays a shot instinctively, if you make him work hard on perfecting that shot, he will probably start to get it wrong. He is naturally gifted with the ability to play that shot and hence, even if he plays it away from his body, you don't ask him to correct it in the nets. These are decisions a coach had to take carefully- that's where you spoil a natural talent like Irfan. So, for Sehwag, hard work may not be working on perfect technique or perfecting some shots, but spending hors in the nets facing different kind of balls, minimizing instinctive mistakes, improving shot selection, improving concentration, practicing how to keep the mind and though simple even in a crisis, practicing innovative shotplay etc. So he may have put in tons of hard work, but when he comes out to play, his carefree approach makes it look like it's all talent and not hard work. But the fact is that we can not see the hours he has spent in the nets. On the other hand, a Dravid or a Kumble may look laborious in the way they play and hence they look like working harder than a Sehwag or a Sachin. It's all about perception.

^It neednt necessarily be cricket focussed. In fact it shouldnt be IMHO. Think Sunny was using cricketers to illustrate the point. Its holds true in ordinary life too, you see really clever people not necessarily studying loads for their great results because their brain processes things that much quicker. Mortals OTOH put hours in and get less marks Its a harsh world I say.

^It neednt necessarily be cricket focussed. In fact it shouldnt be IMHO. Think Sunny was using cricketers to illustrate the point. Its holds true in ordinary life too, you see really clever people not necessarily studying loads for their great results because their brain processes things that much quicker. Mortals OTOH put hours in and get less marks Its a harsh world I say.
as some one said life is not fair,better get used to it

I think in any kind of career, you need a combination of both to truly succeed. Hard work without talent won't take you too far, neither will talent without hard work. I have seen highly talented people succeed quite fast, but they just don't sustain if they don't work hard.

I think in any kind of career' date=' you need a combination of both to truly succeed. Hard work without talent won't take you too far, neither will talent without hard work. I have seen highly talented people succeed quite fast, but they just don't sustain if they don't work hard.[/quote'] i agree with soods,talented people may have to work may be a little less than the less talented ones

One may be talented by nature by but to harness that talent one requires a lot of dedication and hardwork. This brings in mind a character from anime , Rock Lee, who was not as gifted and genius like others around him, around him but one day he did become a genius. A genius of hard work. So you see one can become a genius - a genius of hardwork. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xNStU9-fVI]YouTube - Remember Rock Lee's Name[/ame]

One may be talented by nature by but to harness that talent one requires a lot of dedication and hardwork. This brings in mind a character from anime , Rock Lee, who was not as gifted and genius like others around him, around him but one day he did become a genius. A genius of hard work. So you see one can become a genius - a genius of hardwork.
i dnt subscribe to the fact that a genius can be made....a genius is always born