1. 1.

• Rohit Sharma
    • Ravindra Jadeja
    • Virat Kohli
    • Irfan Pathan
    • Yusuf Pathan
    • Dinesh Karthik
    • Others (specify)

I knowingly did not vote for Irfan and gave vote to Rohit instead while creating the thread in order to not give him undue advantage and to check what actually people want. But it is good to see that he is the clear cut favorite for the no.7 spot. I personally also prefer him for the no.7 spot as I do not see any player as effective for the spot as him. The main reasons for that is that we have tried him as our mainline bowler and he is inconsistent as our mainline bowler. It is not that he is crap in every match but he is a bit like PK. Before he was dropped, he was good at the start in most matches while in the death overs he used to hammered by good oppositions due to his pace. In conditions conducive to swing he has been very effective and we have seen it even in recent times. But at the no.7 spot he will be just our 5th bowler/all rounder and we do not need 10 overs from him. Anyways we are not bowling 10 overs from any of our fast bowlers barring Nehra. We can bowl Irfan as per the conditions of the ground. If he bowls well we can even bowl his whole quota of 10 overs and on normal days he can bowl 5-7 overs. And he is also a good and more reliable batsman than Jadeja, Yusuf etc. He does not let the RR decrease and at the same time he can hit the fours and sixes if needed. In the past we have always looked upto him as our strike bowler and we have always played him as our 1st, 2nd or 3rd bowler but we have never played him as our 5th bowler. So, it will be a completely different role for him as the 5th bowler and a no.7 batsman. We have also tried all our no.7 options but nobody is looking good. So, I also believe that he should be given chance but not as our main bowler but as an all rounder only. He is far better than Nayar or Jadeja, Kohli etc. for the no.7 spot. He also has the experience to cope up with different situations and that will also help Meanwhile I was searching in google news about Irfan and it seems he has almost recovered from his knee injury. He is expected to play in Baroda's second match. Hope that he plays well and returns to the team at the no.7 all rounder spot.

guys irfan is not eligible for selection at all . how can u ask for his comeback ? i think we need to persist with jadeja for now .. he is not batting to expectations but he is picking top order wickets and he needs time to settle .. we needs to more chances to test out .. stop giving up on such talented young players so early ..

guys irfan is not eligible for selection at all . how can u ask for his comeback ? i think we need to persist with jadeja for now .. he is not batting to expectations but he is picking top order wickets and he needs time to settle .. we needs to more chances to test out .. stop giving up on such talented young players so early ..
:WTF: He has been dropped previously too and he has made comeback previously too.. even Nehra has made comeback and has been bowling very well after his comeback. I am also a big supporter of Jadeja but as I mentioned in the Jadeja thread his body language while batting is pathetic. If he cannot score runs at all leave apart playing a few good shots whats the benefit of playing him as an all rounder. As I mentioned in my previous post, Irfan should made comeback as a no.7 and not as a mainline bowler. He has got all the abilities to fit into a perfect no.7 and he has also got the experience to cope up with pressure situations. I would also like to see Manish Pandey as mentioned by kooljaat above though not sure if he is ripe yet. But then Kohli is a better player than Manish Pandey. Pandey needs to play a bit at the domestic level but yes he should also be given a chance soon.

Thing with Irfan Pathan is that once he's included in the team people will look up to him with his performance in the bowling front rather than batting. If he gets thrashed (which he obviously will if he can't swing it) there's going to huge outcry for his exclusion from the team. We have gone through such occasions many times in the past. Everyone wanted Irfan to be in the team yet if he fails to deliver with the ball, he's the most cursed player. Also our batting line-up won't fail consistently so very few chances of him redeeming with the batting performances too.