Sachin the greatest ever sportsperson in Asia: Srinath

Feed

Agreed with Zap. You can't compare cricket with chess or squash or some lame **** like that.
Dude squash is not lame. It requires more fitness and is played in a lot of countries. And if you are not ready to compare cricket with other sports, then why start this nonsense at all.
Dude squash is not lame. It requires more fitness and is played in a lot of countries. And if you are not ready to compare cricket with other sports, then why start this nonsense at all.
No one said its lame but its not competitively played by the masses. As is cases with such sports, the competitive level is much less compared to a much more popular sports. The skill level involved is just not that good. Its true in all sports. Cricket teams of the 1920's will lose to the current teams. WR of athlete records in 1960's are all almost broken by now.
No one said its lame but its not competitively played by the masses. As is cases with such sports' date=' the competitive level is much less compared to a much more popular sports. The skill level involved is just not that good. Its true in all sports. Cricket teams of the 1920's will lose to the current teams. WR of athlete records in 1960's are all almost broken by now.[/quote'] Cricket itself is played by a handful of countries. And if you are trying to say that cricket has no scope of improvement as far as technique is concerned, then you are sadly mistaken. The game and the technique will be quite a lot different in 2100 than it is now.
Cricket itself is played by a handful of countries. And if you are trying to say that cricket has no scope of improvement as far as technique is concerned' date=' then you are sadly mistaken. The game and the technique will be quite a lot different in 2100 than it is now.[/quote'] Not saying that cricket has nothing to improve upon. I believe that in 50 years most of the batsman will be better than Sachin overall. I believe that very few sports has reached a saturation level that is consistent with todays level in most sports. I believe that a Dhoni is about as good as say a C Ronaldo. Cricket is played in very few countries but the sheer number that plays the game is what separates it from Squash, Badminton and its like. There could be a Cuban power hitter who could belt sixes at will had he played cricket from a young age, but we have seen such type of players in Flintoff, KP, Dhoni who all had to adjust their game in order to survive. Basically i believe that Cricket players skill is as good as it could be at this point in time whether Cubans are playing or not. I am not convinced thats the case with some other sports. Ofcourse, all these are not based on facts or numbers and as i mentioned earlier these are just my opinion.
Not saying that cricket has nothing to improve upon. I believe that in 50 years most of the batsman will be better than Sachin overall. I believe that very few sports has reached a saturation level that is consistent with todays level in most sports. I believe that a Dhoni is about as good as say a C Ronaldo. Cricket is played in very few countries but the sheer number that plays the game is what separates it from Squash, Badminton and its like. There could be a Cuban power hitter who could belt sixes at will had he played cricket from a young age, but we have seen such type of players in Flintoff, KP, Dhoni who all had to adjust their game in order to survive. Basically i believe that Cricket players skill is as good as it could be at this point in time whether Cubans are playing or not. I am not convinced thats the case with some other sports. Ofcourse, all these are not based on facts or numbers and as i mentioned earlier these are just my opinion.
Ok got your point. But I respectfully disagree.
How is physical fitness the only criteria now ? And regarding popularity, there are more players of cricket in Delhi than players of squash in the world. It is a totally spectator less sport, and has no public appeal at all. Who the **** cares what 2 guys are doing a closed rooom, when no one can even see them. :hehe:

So what is the term "greatest sportsman" really mean? Excelling in the most popular of sports? Being very good in a very tough but not that popular sport? Or being so good athletically that you can transition between sports and be equally or close to equally good in some sports? If it is just numbers then SRK is the greatest actor of all time, because of the number of fans he has.

So what is the term "greatest sportsman" really mean? Excelling in the most popular of sports? Being very good in a very tough but not that popular sport? Or being so good athletically that you can transition between sports and be equally or close to equally good in some sports? If it is just numbers then SRK is the greatest actor of all time, because of the number of fans he has.
Invalid comparison. The popularity of cricket is not only in terms of fans but also players. I don't think sports like badminton,squash,blah blah have nearly as many aspiring players as cricket. In terms of world sport, soccer is the only one that is without doubt more popular. Basketball and tennis are the only other ones I can think of that come close. American football/rugby/hockey would be next I guess.
No other sport is played for five days. No other sport is played as frequently. No other sport tests your physical and mental strength as much as cricket does. The number of hours a cricketer spends on the ground is unparalleled.
But in Squash players with dodgy fitness cannot last a single match. Squash players do not have the luxury of scoring a century in one innings and and walk out and relax in the dressing room getting massages while some substitute does your job in the field.
No other sport is played for five days. No other sport is played as frequently. No other sport tests your physical and mental strength as much as cricket does. The number of hours a cricketer spends on the ground is unparalleled.
No other sport is played for five days - wrong , im sure you know of the tour de france. as frequently - Wrong. physical strength - Wrong by a mile. mental strength -Maybe, although individual sports are tougher mentally, since there is no one else is around, to support you, imagine a tennis player after a marathon 5 hour match, where his body is broken down to pieces and has to have the mental strength to compete one more game. The number of hours a cricketer spends on the ground is unparalleled - for practice or actually playing the game?
Don't agree with you. Any sport played at the highest professional level is very demanding.