Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre

Re: Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre I would add Robin Singh to that list. He was selected after he was 30+ and he still showed a lot of grit and determination - a true fighter. Imagine what he could have achieved in his early 20s - he could have probably filled the slot of that elusive allrounder for India!! :shrug:

Re: Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre

How can you guys forget Sadagopan Ramesh ... the guy had some talent ...
Oh yes Ramesh was good. Very good in fact. He had a poor technique, and his legs didnt move right but had a very good hands-eye co-ordination. Plus like every left hander he was blessed with graceful shots. Specially liked the way he played Akram off the back foot and on the off side. He should have played more. Scratch Bangar from the list and move Ramesh in that position. xx

Then ofcourse there was Joshi .... this guy was more than a decent SLA and a very good hard hitting batsman ..... No connections with the Babus did him big time. He still plays for Karnataka and Always does good.
Joshi's was a real sad story... he had very good potential to be an allrounder both in tests and odis... he didnt have a god-father... and then there was ganguly's lust for bajji which killed an entire crop of spinners including sarandeep, bahutule and amit mishra...

Then ofcourse there was Joshi .... this guy was more than a decent SLA and a very good hard hitting batsman ..... No connections with the Babus did him big time. He still plays for Karnataka and Always does good.
Joshi's was a real sad story... he had very good potential to be an allrounder both in tests and odis... he didnt have a god-father... and then there was ganguly's lust for bajji which killed an entire crop of spinners including sarandeep, bahutule and amit mishra...
Don't forget to add Murali Karthik on that list.

Agree. Joshi was a talented player . Probably more talented than Ravi Shastri. Goes to show that you need a godfather to succeed in Indian team. He was a useful spinner and gritty lower order batsmen. BTW, are you from North Karnataka ?

Murali Karthik is one of those rare people that makes me want me to get off my sofa, get inside that tv set and beat the sh@t out of him. There was so much hooplah when he arrived. Here is this "successor of Bedi", a fighter who has wonderful loop and guile. Chut**a saala. I can not remember one single game where he played with any conviction. Every time he freaking gets murdered. He should be thankful to Agarkar that he pretty much takes away the heat off every freaking Indian bowler, specially in LOI. My only decent memory of Karthik is when Inzzy smashed him for a big one and SRT took a blinder right on the boundary. A param faltoo bowler if ever there was one. xxxx

Re: Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre No.... i am yet to see a left-arm spinner who can turn the ball more than joshi... and also he had straight-forward batting without any clumsiness.... all u need to do is watch him annihilate an international team like south africa with figures like these...10-6-6-5

Murali Karthik is one of those rare people that makes me want me to get off my sofa, get inside that tv set and beat the sh@t out of him. There was so much hooplah when he arrived. Here is this "successor of Bedi", a fighter who has wonderful loop and guile. ******a saala. I can not remember one single game where he played with any conviction. Every time he freaking gets murdered. He should be thankful to Agarkar that he pretty much takes away the heat off every freaking Indian bowler, specially in LOI. My only decent memory of Karthik is when Inzzy smashed him for a big one and SRT took a blinder right on the boundary. A param faltoo bowler if ever there was one. xxxx
In the interest of fairness , he performed well under Dravid in Nagpur when Ganguly chickened out and feigned injury before the match . This was followed by his exceptional performance in Wankhede stadium in Mumbai taking 7/76 which earned him Man of the Match . If it wasn't for the ga.y bonding between Bhaji and Ganguly :hic:, probably Murali would have had more test caps under his belt.

How can you guys forget Sadagopan Ramesh ... the guy had some talent ...
Ramesh was surely talented bastmen . His innings of 79 in calcutta during '99 series against the likes of Akhtar and Akram was a thing of beauty. HE was pretty consistent during that series as far I can remember.

In the interest of fairness , he performed well under Dravid in Nagpur when Ganguly chickened out and feigned injury before the match . This was followed by his exceptional performance in Wankhede stadium in Mumbai taking 7/76 which earned him Man of the Match . If it wasn't for the ga.y bonding between Bhaji and Ganguly :hic:, probably Murali would have had more test caps under his belt.
Maybe so KR but let it also be said that if there is one reason why Harbhajan Singh is the lead spinner in Indian LOI format it is this pretender Karthik. Bhajji sucks of course. He(Bhajji) survives on the laurel of his exploits against Australia(and because Dada would prop him). Went to Pakistan and got clobbered silly. But the reason why he gets picked, or rather was picked, automatically was because the man who was picked in place of him Murali Karthik would do all the jazz of tattoo and necklace, ponytail and all and get spanked silly in the games. And to top it all Karthik, inspite of all Dada antics, has played around 30 LOI and bowled 250 overs plus, a good 8 overs plus every game. Suffice to say he has gotten enough chances as it is. xxxx

Re: Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre Good one Shwetabh, I do remember Amre but didn't know he was dropped after couple of 20s against Sri Lanka. Perhaps India was wrong in trying him out in ODIs consistently when he had an average of over 40 in test cricket. Similarly Kambli was tried way too many times in ODIs. They rather should have tried these two in test matches and that possibly would have shown if they were truly good enough. As for Manjraker, he mentioned in one of the interviews his technique was water tight but he go so obsessed with the technique he forgot the basic for any batsman i.e. to score runs. He mentioned he could play all day the picture perfect cricket but couldn't hit the ball well enough and consistently to pick runs. Reminds me of Mark Ramprakash. Bookish cricket and absolutely no flaw in batting at all but he had to be satisfied with dogged 20s and 30s. Siva mentioned in one of the interviews Anil was a major threat to him. Both it seems played one of the challenger or some domestic series and in that game Anil was way successful than Siva as Siva had a bad day. Rest is history of course. Siva was at pain mentioning he was a forgotten man for Indian cricket when he was in his early 20s. A bit sad he couldn't play much after having been dropped in the early 90s. He was a sensational bowler in the 1995 B&H series. I still watch that series and two guys were top draw from that Indian team. S.Vishwanath (awesome wicket keeper) and Siva the leggie. Siva's googlies were even better than Mushtaq Ahmed's I can say with confidence. Siva used to turn the ball a mile either way like Murali those days. S.Vishwanath was a fantastic keeper. He stood up to the likes of Madan Lala, Roger Binny in that 1995 B&H series with out helmet or extra protection. One of his stumpings was sensational. He wasn't a bad bat either and he scored fair bit of runs in that series. Looked like he emulated Gavaskar's stance and technique. In the company of Gavaskar he scored fair bit of runs in the B&H series. Quite a fit fella he was too. Need to upload that video sometime, it still is a fantastic watch.

Re: Wasted Careers - I : Pravin Amre I dont remember exactly... but in the 88 or 89 season, Siva had a monstruous ranji season with the bat.... and a decent one with the ball.... in all fairness, he was going the pathan way.... he was paying too much attention to his batting...

My wasted XI Sadanand Vishwanath(wk) (went from top of world to bottom...in 1 season) xxxx
Sadannd opt out of the race with More after he has decided to settle in Australia.May be a young Vishy may emerge in future for Australia!!!!.

My wasted XI Sadanand Vishwanath(wk) (went from top of world to bottom...in 1 season) xxxx
Sadannd opt out of the race with More after he has decided to settle in Australia.May be a young Vishy may emerge in future for Australia!!!!.
I know him personally, he is not in Australia. He has a retail shop at KSCA, Bangalore. He used to do coaching when I was young. I think he has taken to umpiring of late.