Ganguly better than GOD in their U-19 Days : Saurashtra Coach

Kolkata: Saurashtra coach Debu Mitra on Monday said Sourav Ganguly was a better batsman than Sachin Tendulkar in their under-19 days. Mitra said Ganguly was exceptional in an U-19 tour of England with Kailash Gattani's Star team, which also had Tendulkar in it. He said Tendulkar rose to greater heights later because he hailed from West Zone which was dominating Indian cricket. "I travelled with them in that tour to UK and followed them from close quarters in all the matches. Ganguly was better than Tendulkar at that time. He was the highest run-getter in that tour," Mitra, who had earlier coached Bengal Ranji side, said. "Sachin belonged to West Zone, which was dominating Indian cricket that time, so it was easy for him. But Ganguly had to wait till East Zone became prominent thanks to Jagmohan Dalmiya," said 61-year-old Mitra. Asked whether Dalmiya has a role in shaping Ganguly's career, Mitra said, "Of course." Mitra said he was "open" to any offer to coach Bengal again. "Bengal is a big state and CAB is the richest association in India. Who will not want to coach Bengal?" Mitra said. There is no doubt that Ganguly was a better captain but to say he was better the GOD the best batsman since Bradman is lame to put it lightly.Their records show who was the better batsman.

Kolkata: Saurashtra coach Debu Mitra on Monday said Sourav Ganguly was a better batsman than Sachin Tendulkar in their under-19 days. Mitra said Ganguly was exceptional in an U-19 tour of England with Kailash Gattani's Star team, which also had Tendulkar in it. He said Tendulkar rose to greater heights later because he hailed from West Zone which was dominating Indian cricket. "I travelled with them in that tour to UK and followed them from close quarters in all the matches. Ganguly was better than Tendulkar at that time. He was the highest run-getter in that tour," Mitra, who had earlier coached Bengal Ranji side, said. "Sachin belonged to West Zone, which was dominating Indian cricket that time, so it was easy for him. But Ganguly had to wait till East Zone became prominent thanks to Jagmohan Dalmiya," said 61-year-old Mitra. Asked whether Dalmiya has a role in shaping Ganguly's career, Mitra said, "Of course." Mitra said he was "open" to any offer to coach Bengal again. "Bengal is a big state and CAB is the richest association in India. Who will not want to coach Bengal?" Mitra said. There is no doubt that Ganguly was a better captain but to say he was better the GOD the best batsman since Bradman is lame to put it lightly.Their records show who was the better batsman.
ganguly was india's greatest captain and tendulkar india's greatest batsman the above is silly, but he did say he was a better batsman in their u-19 days so the thread title is a bit sensational
Load of bull crap. Tendulkar was shining from a very early age.
:dito: Sachin was playing in national colors by 17 years and rose to fame since 14 years itself .. that itself settles who was a better player at U-19 level :cantstop: EDIT: No offence to Dada. Dada is one of our best players overall but surely not near Sachin.

If you look at his quotes, it is not as sensational as the summary. He says Ganguly was the highest run getter on that tour (fact), he says Tendu got to play for the country sooner cause of west zone dominance (possibly true). He isn't saying Gangu is a better a player than Sachin over their careers or that Sachin became the best due to west zone dominance. Also, he is looking for Bengal job, so may be thinks would help if he sucks up to Ganguly.

^Ganguly was there on that tour 1992/93 but from what I heard his behavior was not good. and it took him 4 more years to be part of indian team
Ganguly coming from a rich family was not used to carrying the cricket kits of other players..so I heard in an interview that he flatly refused to carry the cricket kits of seniors into the nets and back - which's what the youngsters used to do. And I think he is right. Just because you;ve been in the team longer doesn't mean you can't carry your own stuff
Ganguly coming from a rich family was not used to carrying the cricket kits of other players..so I heard in an interview that he flatly refused to carry the cricket kits of seniors into the nets and back - which's what the youngsters used to do. And I think he is right. Just because you;ve been in the team longer doesn't mean you can't carry your own stuff
not to digress from the thread, but the idea of 12th man bringing drinks and gloves etc is also weird, but it is part of the game.
not to digress from the thread' date=' but the idea of 12th man bringing drinks and gloves etc is also weird, but it is part of the game.[/quote'] that is still ok...passing message from the dressing room..etc Don't think other teams(like Aus/England/SA) make youngsters carry the kits of seniors..and that culture might have stopped in the Indian team too

For sure both RD and SG were introduced late to test cricket. Both were awesome in their debuts, and were averaging 50+ within a couple of years of test cricket. The selectors were enamoured with Kambli, Amre, Jadeja and Rathour which goes to show that either they were not good at spotting talent, and/or they were biased towards certain players/zones.

ver cheap statement when he refers abt west dominance and tats how tendulkar got in and all .. he was a genius from a young age .. now can can deny that .. i agree with bunny .. how the hell did indian selectors dint select rahul dravid earlier than 96.. its very difficult to ignore his batting techniques and all .. i see a bias from the selectors end .. surely ..