Central contract: Is performance taken into account?

Feed

Indian allrounder Irfan Pathan, who has missed most of the ongoing domestic season due to a shoulder injury, has not been given a central contract by the BCCI for 2009-10. More... Irfan Pathan not given BCCI contract Cricinfo staff November 25, 2009 Indian allrounder Irfan Pathan, who has missed most of the ongoing domestic season due to a shoulder injury, has not been given a central contract by the BCCI for 2009-10, while Ashish Nehra who staged a remarkable comeback from injury this year, gets back into the retainer list. Nehra replaced Irfan in the Grade B list for an annual central contract worth Rs 40 lakh. According to BCCI sources, Irfan has just returned to playing Ranji Trophy matches for Baroda after a long lay-off due to a shoulder injury and was considered as being "a long way away from where he should be" in terms of fitness and performance. As per rules, he will automatically qualify for a Grade D (Rs 15 lakh) contract if he gets selected to play for India over the next year, the sources added. Praveen Kumar and Dinesh Karthik were the others to benefit, both moving up a grade. Karthik is now in Grade C (Rs 25 lakh) while Praveen moved up to Grade B. Among the players demoted, apart from Irfan, is S Badrinath, who slipped to Group C from B last year, and Piyush Chawla, who has moved one step down to D. There were four new entries in India's latest retainer list - Abshishek Nayar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ajinkya Rahane and Manoj Tiwary. Grade A (Rs 60 lakh): Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh. Grade B (Rs 40 lakh): Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Munaf Patel, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma, Praveen Kumar, Ashish Nehra. Grade C (Rs 25 lakh): S Badrinath, Wasim Jaffer, Yusuf Pathan, Pragyan Ojha, Sreesanth, Dinesh Karthik, Amit Mishra. Grade D (Rs 15 lakh): Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Robin Uthappa, Parthiv Patel, Cheteshwar Pujara, Mohammad Kaif, Virat Kohli, Ashok Dinda, Wriddhiman Saha, M Vijay, R Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Sudeep Tyagi, Dhawal Kulkarni, Abhishek Nayar, Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwary.

The list has 40 players. BCCI gotta be joking if they are suggesting that Irfan isnt in the top 40 players of the country. They are doing everything in their capacity to destroy the only genuine bowling all rounder we have in the country at the moment. I hope Irafn truns in some good performances in Ranji Trophy to answer the BCCI in the best possible manner.

The list has 40 players. BCCI gotta be joking if they are suggesting that Irfan isnt in the top 40 players of the country. They are doing everything in their capacity to destroy the only genuine bowling all rounder we have in the country at the moment. I hope Irafn truns in some good performances in Ranji Trophy to answer the BCCI in the best possible manner.
I think BCCI has decided to move ahead of Pathan now and keep looking for younger all rounders.

This contracts thingy is generally a very good indicator of a)Who our selectors think are the important cogs of our team and b)Which up and coming player do they have in radar. Have to say I am a little surprised to see Nehra in grade 'B'. He's only been doing the rounds in the Indian team for about 6 months now. And I cannot believe they rate guys like Yusuf Pathan and Jaffer (no offence to Wasim, he's an excellent player, but it seems so improbable that he could get into the team now) above Virat Kohli. Good to see the promising R.Ashwin's name in the list. And Kaif makes a comeback too (dont know if he was in last year's list) And something thats also quite interesting is how the selectors have given VVS (a mainstay of the test team who does not play ODIs and T20s) and grade 'A' contract, while they have given Raina (a mainstay of the ODI and T20 team who does not play tests), a grade 'B' contract.

Irfan could have been demoted to Grade C but he definitely deserved a contract. He is surely within the top 40 players in the country. Kaif, Jaffer, Dinda, Saha etc. have contracts and I dont think Irfan is worse than these players who have been ages without any national team performance. I would say Irfan should have been in Grade C maybe but surely should have had a contract considering that many other players in the contract list are a lot worse than him.

How can they 'erroneously' discard him? Dumb. Not to mention 41 players being bit of a weird number.. Do you think it was really an error? He should just keep bowling, he's been scoring runs not really sure how well he has been bowling but once he get the rhythm back he can be an important part of the ODI unit