Computer help - system not detecting Wireless/Ethernet cards after reinstall

The Outsider

Ok, so I've spent hours on this now. Reinstalled Windows XP on IBM ThinkPad T41p today and then installed the drivers etc. Problem is that the Network Connections folder is showing only the Bluetooth Network Connection icon and Device Manager is not showing the wireless or ethernet cards. Both were working fine before the reinstall - had to reinstall XP because of spyware/viruses caught probably from watching too many free streams. So I can't get online from that laptop at all either from the LAN cable or using wireless. I've spent hours on google and found some forums on which people had similar problems but none of those solutions have worked for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated and will be justly rewarded with $ICF :icflove:

OK' date=' when u download the drivers - .exe, can u extract ( with winrar ) it to a folder, then gto device manager, open up Network adapters and update via that folder[/quote'] All I see under Network Adapters is the Bluetooth Device - it's not pulling up the Wireless or Ethernet card there. Another thing - when I plug in the LAN cable, I do get a green light indicator.

OK, how abt add Hardware > Network adapter and then say have disk and then update Also have u tried Windows Update
Can't do a windows update because haven't been able to get online with that machine. Here is a screenshot of the Network Adapter part - just Bluetooth : EDIT : Never mind - the file size is too big to post a screenshot

For the computer to communicate to the hardware, you need to have the appropriate drivers installed; The easiest way to do this is to download a program called AIDA 32, which will tell you the serial / model number of the Ethernet card / wireless architecture installed on your system; Next step, just google those drivers and install them; Seems to me, yours is a driver problem; Since you re installed windows, you also have to re install all the drivers, particularly for the ethernet card if you want to access onelline

I had forgot to configure a few times the wireless and those were due to simple mistakes from my sides. Though I am quite sure you might be a lot more knowledgeable in the wireless configuring field, but I can tell you the most frequent mistakes I make after a fresh install. Not sure if they are of any help to you but you might just check. The most frequent mistake I do is that sometimes after a fresh install I do not click the option "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" which is required for Windows to configure your wireless network. At first I would like to ask you that do you see the wireless network/card icon when you check network connection. If you do so, then I hope you are also right clicking the wireless network icon and selecting Wireless Network Connection properties. Inside properties, the second tab is "Wireless Networks". Click on that and then click the option named "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". Save the settings and then check if the wireless network icon works or if you see networks in "View Available Wireless Networks" If you are able to see your router live on your wireless and yet you are not able to connect then make sure that you have not kept any security key on the router for the connection to go through. I keep a security key on the router so that neighbours or somebody else cannot misuse it by any chance. Unless I put the same security key on the computer's wireless settings too, my connection is not active. Last and another simple thing which creates problem is that sometimes I switch off the wireless from my keyboard (especially when I format my laptops which has got the wireless button on the keyboard too). It happened once that I switched it off and the wireless came up when I switched it on through the keyboard. Hope that helps if you did one of the above mistakes especially the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" one which I used to do quite often when I format some of my computers after a long time.

^ Thanks for the replies above - the problem is perhaps at a more basic level. Drivers will help only if my system sees the cards, which is not happening right now. Sri, I tried AIDA and it is not detecting the wireless or ethernet cards - just shows up the bluetooth and the external wireless card, which I got working. I have installed the drivers anyways. triam, under network adapters I don't see the wireless or ethernet cards. I am starting to suspect it might even be a hardware issue, but it would be weird for both cards to conk off at the same time immediately after a reinstall.

^ Thanks for the replies above - the problem is perhaps at a more basic level. Drivers will help only if my system sees the cards, which is not happening right now. Sri, I tried AIDA and it is not detecting the wireless or ethernet cards - just shows up the bluetooth and the external wireless card, which I got working. I have installed the drivers anyways. triam, under network adapters I don't see the wireless or ethernet cards. I am starting to suspect it might even be a hardware issue, but it would be weird for both cards to conk off at the same time immediately after a reinstall.
maybe the drivers you had installed were not correctly installed .. not sure but maybe triam would be able to assist better

^ Thanks for the replies above - the problem is perhaps at a more basic level. Drivers will help only if my system sees the cards, which is not happening right now. Sri, I tried AIDA and it is not detecting the wireless or ethernet cards - just shows up the bluetooth and the external wireless card, which I got working. I have installed the drivers anyways.
Shwetabh, if the hardware is functoning correctly but the issue is with the driver (eg, incorrectly installed version), than there will be a question mark next to the device under question under device manager (Right click on my computer icon -> Properties -> Device Manager) Since, the computer is not recognizing the hardware at all, I feel the issue is with the hardware itself, in which case, you might need to buy a replacement.

Easiest way to check if it's an actual hardware problem is to download an Ubuntu Linux live CD. You can boot and run Ubuntu without making any changes to your laptops hdd. I'd highly recommend you do this it's the very first thing I try if I suspect a hardware problem. If any help is required then PM me. Windows uses ACPI and the BIOS to query for hardware while Linux directly access the PCI bus. If Linux doesn't detect the hardware you could try updating the BIOS and then clearing the CMOS.