Abhimanyu Mithun : Top Wicket Taker 2009/10 RANJI SEASON

Feed

Mumbai: Fast bowler Abhimanyu Mithun has signalled his arrival with telling blows in his debut season. Given the freedom to play the role of strike bowler by Rahul Dravid and Robin Uthappa, the 6.2? tall fast bowler has made ... More... Mithun — an ideal fast bowler G. Viswanath Mumbai: Fast bowler Abhimanyu Mithun has signalled his arrival with telling blows in his debut season. Given the freedom to play the role of strike bowler by Rahul Dravid and Robin Uthappa, the 6.2” tall fast bowler has made batsmen quail and dismissed them in a variety of ways; bowled them neck and crop, trapped them leg before, a nick to the ‘keeper and the cordon and even around the batsman’s hip at short-leg. Ideal built In all he has captured 22 wickets at 25.45 sending down 152.4 overs in four matches and along with seamer R. Vinay Kumar has been responsible for Karnataka’s comfortable position in the Ranji Trophy Super League. In short the 20-year-old with an ideal built for fast bowlers has been in full cry. After Karnataka beat Maharashtra hollow at the Poona Club, skipper Robin Uthappa said: “He (Mithun) bowled some really mean deliveries.” Mithun captured seven wickets in the match. He had taken 11 including a hat-trick in his debut match Uttar Pradesh at Meerut. Probably he suffered from lack of rhythm on a fresh wicket on the first day of the match at the Poona Club, but on the third day on a dry and flat wicket, his right hand was a whirlwind of destruction reducing Maharashtra to 39 for four. Clearly he was in his peak physical condition and in excellent rhythm. Mithun has the bent of mind for a fast bowler. He’s raw and after a little more grind on the dry wickets in the domestic tournaments, he would pick up the guile to defeat the batsmen. At Poona he put heart and soul into every ball he bowled. Fast learner The way he set up the aggressive looking Kedar Jadhav with a short ball directed at the arm pit and to be held in the leg trap suggested that he’s a fast learner. Maharashtra’s Australian coach Shaun Williams said he’s never seen an Indian fast bowler bowl as fast as he did in the last two years. Strapping in appearance Mithun has done the hard yards and a few big things for Karnataka in a short time.

Cricinfo does that to any Indian bowler- Munaf was genuine fast medium when he began but acc to crcinfo was nothing more then medium pace. I remember an article (by Amit Verma maybe) calling him a nippy medium pacer. Yep, one who could bowl 85 mph. Indians at 80+???? Heaven forbid. I know it dosent happen often, and when it does it lasts for all of 5 tests. Hope this guy can keep it going, and hope the pace dosent drop

I have been talking about him to all my friends , since that IPL match & for the first time am so excited to see an indian fast bowler
Yeah..the thing that gives me hope is the fact that he isn't the wiry type like Ishant,Tyagi,Munaf or even Sree..the guy looks an athlete( I mean the guy has actually bothered visiting a gym). Obviously he isn't exactly an Atul Sharma:giggle: but looks really strapping by Indian standards for a 19 year old(when i saw him last year). I know there have been guys like Giny,VRV etc..who had the physical appearance before but there is something definitely different about this kid. I guess we'll find out shortly..I believe karnataka will lift the Ranji this year :winky:. So hopefully we'll get to see him then.