IPL Auction 2010 / 19th Jan

Malcolm Merlyn

I saw a bit of Pollard in the KFC big bash and the aspect of his cricket that is most impressive is not his batting or bowling, but his fielding. He definitely is a big hitter, but a bit of a hit-or-miss type, a bit in the Afridi mould. He seems to know only one thing - Swing and swing hard. His bowling is hardly anything to shout about. He ambles in bowls strictly military medium at around 115-120 kph. To think someone would risk $2.5 M for a someone who is actually yet unproven is incredible, but who knows, he might surprise us all with his performance.

I saw a bit of Pollard in the KFC big bash and the aspect of his cricket that is most impressive is not his batting or bowling, but his fielding. He definitely is a big hitter, but a bit of a hit-or-miss type, a bit in the Afridi mould. He seems to know only one thing - Swing and swing hard. His bowling is hardly anything to shout about. He ambles in bowls strictly military medium at around 115-120 kph. To think someone would risk $2.5 M for a someone who is actually yet unproven is incredible, but who knows, he might surprise us all with his performance.
Lets hope so. :(( We mortals can never understand how Goddy thinks...:eyedance:

IPL franchisees are a joke while making bids .. the funniest one was Roach.. Pollard deserved 750000 dollars.. why would a franchisee go upto 2.75 millon dollars ... that is around four times the highest price .. I dont know but there seems to be something wrong .. I thought the silent tie-breaker would mean around 800K or 900K dollars .. why would somebody bid for 4 times the highest bid

2.75 mill' date=' now this doesn't make sense as it circumvents the cap. It basically says the team owner with the biggest bucks will get the best players with no respect to the max cap that teams can spend.[/quote'] very good point.this is like the stupid relaxed cap that NBA has in the US.a cap needs to be strict and the team which finished lower in the table in the previous year should get the tie breaker.its done this way all over the world.

i agree about shakib.he is such a thinking bowler.Its amazing he continues to be ignored.mumbai has lost their mind here.
even swann.he can bat a bit too.these guys running the teams are more interested in hype.atleast mallya didnt go crazy this year like last year when he made the disastrous purchase of KP.
I agree.. Shakib is 10x better than Mortaza and Ashrafool and surprising to see him not bidded .. Swann is also a very good talent and another surprise there.. Cheema also has got a very good T20 record and should have been there .. and another surprise is Lendl Simmons who is a great all rounder again and very good at T20 Dont know but it seems that the franchisees have no idea when they bid... players like Simmons and Cheema would have been available throughout the season and should have been very good purchases .. the IPL bidding has been erratic throughout the 3 seasons .. hope next year in 2011 when fresh bidding starts the franchisees would make more sensible bidding .. there would be 20 more internationals also allowed and so the chances of better selection are also there I am also wondering about the ICL returns etc. .. will they also participate this IPL .. none of the Indian ICL players were in the list today .. U-19 players were taken but there were no ICL players taken till now .. maybe it will be inter-franchisees discussion for the ICL returnees

Lets hope so. :(( We mortals can never understand how Goddy thinks...:eyedance:
do u think this was God's will? if yes, then I have no worries... I'm just wondering if this was a show of $ muscle by the Ambanis or some other "consultant"
  1. Tendulkar
  2. Jayasuriya
  3. Rahane
  4. Duminy
  5. Bravo
  6. Pollard
  7. Abhishek Nayar
  8. Takawale/Pinal shah
  9. Bhajji
  10. Dhaval Kulkarni
  11. Zak

Team looks pretty good :mi:

do u think this was God's will? if yes, then I have no worries... I'm just wondering if this was a show of $ muscle by the Ambanis or some other "consultant"
  1. Tendulkar
  2. Jayasuriya
  3. Rahane
  4. Duminy
  5. Bravo
  6. Pollard
  7. Abhishek Nayar
  8. Takawale/Pinal shah
  9. Bhajji
  10. Dhaval Kulkarni
  11. Zak

Team looks pretty good :mi:

Frankly speaking the Ambanis have nothing to lose if they invest even 10 million .. and I am saying from business perspective .. unlike other franchisees the Ambanis and MI do not need to earn any profits from IPL .. they do earn profits from IPL but actually they can even work with losses... because those would actually not be losses but they can make as advertising costs .. Kingfisher and Reliance have got upto 2 months (45 +15 days if qualifies for CLT20) of free promotion and that matters more to them .. Sahara is paying more than 100 crores every year just to put a logo on the Indian jersey .. and Ambanis are getting full advertisement and promotion in all aspects in such a highly followed sports event .. so I think it is not loss for the corporates especially Ambanis and Mallyas who can consider any small losses as sponsorship expenditures

haiti-earthquake-peoplejpg-d659963c2ae6ab12_large.jpg 2.75 for pollard, uff thats a heck of lot money when you consider for what reason he is getting it for, i feel sad for those people in haiti and also my own cricket stars
India and China were the first countries to help in Haiti .. on the day of the earthquake itself India donated 5 million dollars and China one million for the Haiti earthquake victims ... we care for all countries except the terrorist countries :winky:

I think it is just rumor.
News channels are showing it.. they are saying 2.5 million for Pollard.. later on I thought it is possible.. because there were 5 franchisees in that secret bid and so Nita Ambani bid four times maybe to remain the highest without doubt .. Mallya etc. were also in the race and so she did not take a chance I suppose