Slide the ****ing bat..

Guest Hiten.

I've been saying this for a while, RSD is not a bad runner but he somehow does not like to slide the bat which is a biggest reason why he has high number of run out related dismissals. It's really annoying to see him get out this way because he is almost perfect with batting technique but is yet to learn the basics of running between the wickets or stealing a quick single. :wall:

Is it a superstition or what? An angry Sunil Gavaskar has no clue why Indian batsmen don't slide their bat in when running between the wickets Jan 19, 2010
This was before today's play :wall:

Surprise surprise RD has got run out 50 times now ( 11 in tests, 39 in ODIs), Dada had 27 ( 4 in tests, 23 in odis), Inzi 46 ( 6 in tests, 40 in odis) and Yohana has 44 (6 in tests and 38 in odis). 1. List of batsmen with most no of run outs in all formats http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;dismissal=4;filter=advanced;orderby=innings;template=results;type=batting 2. Maximum no. of run out in tests http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;dismissal=4;filter=advanced;orderby=innings;template=results;type=batting 3. Maximum no. of run out in ODIs http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;dismissal=4;filter=advanced;orderby=innings;template=results;type=batting

I think a lot of it has to do with the outfields and pitches. As an instinct, you wouldnt want to scrape your bat into an abrasive, dry outfield or pitch. Not that this is an excuse for a guy who has played international cricket for zillions of years. Having said that though, a person who grows up (ie, plays club and fc cricket) playing in lush or wet outfields will slide/dive as a second nature. An Indian is almost always playing against his own instinct when he does these things.

I think a lot of it has to do with the outfields and pitches. As an instinct' date=' [b']you wouldnt want to scrape your bat into an abrasive, dry outfield or pitch. Not that this is an excuse for a guy who has played international cricket for zillions of years. Having said that though, a person who grows up (ie, plays club and fc cricket) playing in lush or wet outfields will slide/dive as a second nature. An Indian is almost always playing against his own instinct when he does these things.
Afraid the bat might get cuts or bruises? Its fundamental. I can understand your point if you are talking about diving in the outfield or even diving when taking a run but this not sliding the bat is unacceptable especially from someone who epitomises perfection in technique. For God's sake he has played a zillion test and scored gazillion runs.
Afraid the bat might get cuts or bruises? Its fundamental. I can understand your point if you are talking about diving in the outfield or even diving when taking a run but this not sliding the bat is unacceptable especially from someone who epitomises perfection in technique. For God's sake he has played a zillion test and scored gazillion runs.
I know, and I dont think thats an excuse for Dravid but I'm saying that it could be a habit picked up from club and fc cricket. And at club level, most people wont want to risk damage (even if its miniscule) to their expensive/favourite bats just for an extra run for which the fielder is most likely to miss the stumps anyway.
I know' date=' and I dont think thats an excuse for Dravid but I'm saying that it could be a habit picked up from club and fc cricket. And at club level, most people wont want to risk damage (even if its miniscule) to their expensive/favourite bats just for an extra run for which the fielder is most likely to miss the stumps anyway.[/quote'] I am sorry but they should be learning this before they even play club cricket or First class.. They should be learning this at the Under 11s or Under 13s level.