Twelve-month ban for Kotla

Block hole

The Feroz Shah Kotla has been banned by the ICC from hosting international matches for a year after an unsafe pitch lead to the abandonment of an ODI between India and Sri Lanka in Delhi last month. The announcement quashes fears that the ban could extend up to the World Cup, scheduled to be held in the subcontinent in early 2011. An ICC release said: "Following the conclusion of a full investigation into the circumstances that led to the abandonment of a One-Day International match between India and Sri Lanka on 27 December 2009, the ICC confirms that no international cricket will be played at the New Delhi ground until the end of December 2010." The ICC match referee Alan Hurst was reported to have classified the Kotla pitch used in that one-dayer as "unfit", the harshest possible assessment.

I am overjoyed at this decision. So, the ICC does have a spine somewhere hidden in there? I hope this forces the BCCI to consider merits of venues rather than politics when allotting matches. That Test matches are held in vague venues when historic centres such as Kolkata and Chennai wilt and wait, is simply unacceptable. ________ Find headshop

even if there was no ban' date=' i don think kotla would have hosted a match in the next 1 year thanks to rotation policy..[/quote'] Thas why the ban is for 1 year anod not more. Its like having the cake and eating it too. ICC shows it doesnt bow to the BCCI and bans the Kotla for 1 yer. BCCI is, who cares we any way don't plan to play there for 1 year. Every body wins.

frankly speaking I am happy for the ban.. at least now DDCA will pull up their socks and create the pitch better.. it was not once but for almost 2-3 years this uneven bounce was going on .. they never prepared the pitch well let it be the IPL, Aus series, Champions League, any international series or anything else... I dont have problem with the ball swinging but the pitch as a whole is crap and even Gauti and Veeru have mentioned about the uneven bounce a lot of time A one year ban would mean till December 2010 which means it can host the WC matches.. hope that BCCI sacks all the DDCA officials and ex-players ... they have created enough joke.. bring in a whole new committee and the best of pitch curators from next time .. I for one am happy about it .. and hope that the commonwealth stadiums are also made ready for cricket as they are new and quite good stadiums

1 year' date=' I don't think thats really going to affect them much[/quote'] Hope that 1 year is enough to sack the present set of corrupted DDCA officials and bring a good set of officials instead. And hopefully they would also keep politics away from sports. DDCA is mostly filled up by politicians right now.