India's new mantra: Need for speed

CG

As a rule, the emergence of a rookie bowler with raw pace generates unparalleled excitement in cricket circles in India, a country where new-ball bowlers have traditionally worn the medium-pacer tag. So, with Abhimanyu Mithun in the squad for the first Test against South Africa after a dream first-class debut season, hopes are being harboured that the 20-year-old speedster will continue to intimidate batsmen at the international level. But in this atmosphere of anticipation, a significant statement made by the chairman selectors, K Srikkanth, seemed to have been lost. Speaking about the green-behind-the-ears paceman Mithun, the former India opener said: "We really needed a genuine fast bowler for Tests, so we included him." It was the chairman's way of saying that this wasn't just a one-off selection but a new trend that is set to continue in the coming days. As some other members of the committee confirmed, the criteria for Test selection is no longer only wickets and experience, but a tick in the speed box had become mandatory as well. A look at the Board President XI squad, announced on the same day as the Test team, proves India's consistency in this thinking. The usual medium pacers who generally face touring teams in warm-up games were conspicuous by their absence. Bowlers such as Munaf Patel, RP Singh, Irfan Pathan and Dhawal Kulkarni were excluded, and sources said it wasn't a mere coincidence that they all bowled below 130 kph. The 22-year-old Vidarbha bowler has played just 11 first-class games, but his quick spell in the Duleep Trophy last year - when he beat Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman for pace - was a factor the selectors kept in mind. "These days in international cricket, it is very tough to get wickets if you don't have pace. The margin of error is very small for a medium pacer, especially on Indian pitches. So while travelling around the country, we keep an eye on the quick bowlers," a national selector, who did not wish to be named, told The Indian Express when asked about Mithun and Yadav. Central Zone coach Gyanendra Pandey endorsed the view that Yadav fit the bill perfectly. "He is very quick and can unsettle a new batsman with his pace. I watched his games where he has consistently bowled 140 kph all day," he said. There is a startling similarity between the two young pacemen in the news. Like Mithun, Yadav was a school-level athlete who played tennis-ball cricket far away from a cricket centre with modern facilities. If Mithun was spotted playing in an industrial area on the outskirts of Bangalore, Yadav's beginning can be traced to street matches in Khaparkheda, a village near Nagpur. Four years ago, when he went to Nagpur to play a tennis-ball tournament, local coach G Gokhale got impressed by his pace. Yadav was to soon hit the big league as former Vidarbha player Pritam Gandhe took him under his wings. Within days, he was playing first-class cricket, but an injury hampered his rise. Back to peak fitness, he is now waiting to bowl at the South Africans on his home ground. "I am really looking forward to the game," he said. "It will be a dream come true." :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: Indian express

A look at the Board President XI squad' date=' announced on the same day as the Test team, proves India's consistency in this thinking. The usual medium pacers who generally face touring teams in warm-up games were conspicuous by their absence. Bowlers such as Munaf Patel, RP Singh, Irfan Pathan and Dhawal Kulkarni were excluded, and sources said it wasn't a mere coincidence that they all bowled below 130 kph.[/quote'] I don't think that it is fair to note Munaf, RP or Irfan as consistently under 130kph. Munaf has timed in at 140kph as recently as his last Test series, I don't recall RP Singh ever bowling particularly slowly and Irfan Pathan seems to have an average speed of around 130kph, not under 130kph.

The key question is will Umesh Yadav get to play the game? Mithun will be certainity for this game and I would assume both Chawla and Ashwin will play as well. The toss up will be between Vinay Kumar and Yadav and in all probability VK will get to play ahead of Yadav. This could be the finall 11 playing the practice match: Mukund, Rahane, Pujara, Rohit, Pandey, Parthiv, Nayar, Chawla, Ashwin, Vinay Kumar, Mithun. Dhawan, Gony and Yadav look the 3 probable candidates likely to miss out unless they decide to drop Nayar and play an extra bowler which could be Yadav.

I was waiting for someone to post this. :two_thumbs_up: I think I agree with the selectors. Its high time we selected and played a 140+ pacer :two_thumbs_up:. It should send the right message to Irfan, RP, Munaf, PK and the rest - Up your pace or pray for Zaheer to get injured, coz we'll play only one swinger in the team :aha: