BCCI plans to extend Kirsten stay

DesiChap

Kirsten to reach Bangalore tomorrow

Bangalore: Gary Kirsten, who will be Team India’s full-time coach from March next year, is going to arrive here on Friday for an “interaction†with the Anil Kumbles. “Kirsten may be in Bangalore till the end of the third (and final) Test… Things will be clear by Thursday,†a source told The Telegraph on Wednesday evening. Agencies add from New Delhi: The BCCI on Wednesday confirmed Kirsten’s appointment. Kirsten will formally take over from March next year and has been handed a two-year contract. “Kirsten has been appointed as the coach of the Indian team for a period of two years starting from March 1, 2008,†BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said. “Gary will be with the Indian team in Australia as a consultant for a couple of weeks probably after the second Test,†the release added. Kirsten will take over the reins almost a year after Australian Greg Chappell stepped down. The left-hander had said on Tuesday that he was “very, very happy†with the terms and conditions of his contract. On some senior cricketers’ reservations about having him as the coach, Kirsten said he has no concerns about what the cricketers think of his appointment. The former opener said he looked forward to a fruitful partnership.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071206/asp/sports/story_8635616.asp

Kirsten checks in ! Gary Kirsten, India's coach-in-waiting, feels the vast and varied sums of money the players have picked up following the Indian Premier League auction may present a new challenge for him. More... Ajay S Shankar February 26, 2008 The amount of big bucks in the Indian dressing room could, feels Gary Kirsten, be a big challenge © Getty Images Gary Kirsten, India's coach-in-waiting, feels the vast and varied sums of money the players have picked up following the Indian Premier League auction may present a new challenge for him. "The IPL is new territory for all of us. So maybe, the kind of money that's come in presents a new sort of challenge for me," Kirsten, whose India contract starts on March 1, told Cricinfo. But we will focus on that if the need comes." All the current Indian internationals have been signed up by the eight IPL franchises, with some players attracting much more money than others - while 28-Test-old opener Wasim Jaffer was bought by Bangalore for US$ 150,000, five-Test-old fast bowler Ishant Sharma was snapped up by Kolkata for US$ 950,000. Kirsten said IPL is a great opportunity for international cricketers, and saw "no reason why it shouldn't succeed". However, the former South Africa opener added that he has no interest "for now" on being part of the Twenty20 tournament starting April 18 as he is focused on the new assignment with the Indian team. "The IPL is unique because it brings in a new kind of supporter to cricket. It also adds a new dimension to the game. I think it's great," said Kirsten. "But I am clear that it's not for me. Certainly, not now. My focus right now is on getting my plans in place for the Indian team." Kirsten is currently in Mumbai, meeting BCCI officials about getting new support staff in place for the Indian team following the resignations of physio John Gloster and trainer Gregory King. "There are a couple of names in the mix, but we will have to discuss various options before coming to a decision," said Kirsten. However, he said that he was very keen on getting his business associate and mental skills coach Paddy Upton on board on a permanent basis. "He brings a tremendous amount of experience into the field, and am sure that will add a lot of value," said Kirsten. Upton has also worked with the South Africa team as a fitness trainer. Although Kirsten was with the Indian team as a consultant during the recent Test series in Australia, he will begin work on a full-time basis starting with the South Africa tour to India next month.

Kirsten, Kumble to meet BCCI officials Kirsten is taking over formally as the coach from March 1 and the Board wanted to have this meeting to know how he proposes to go about the job. More... Press Trust Of India Mumbai, February 26, 2008 First Published: 12:31 IST(26/2/2008) Last Updated: 12:37 IST(26/2/2008) The first meeting among newly appointed national team coach Gary Kirsten, Test skipper Anil Kumble and some cricket Board officials is scheduled today at the BCCI headquarters. Kirsten has reached here and had a meeting with BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah and Prof Ratnakar Shetty (Boards Chief Administrative Officer) on Monday. Today, Anil Kumble will also be present for another round of discussions. Also present will be BCCI treasurer N Srinivasan, sources told on Tuesday. Kirsten is taking over formally as the coach from March 1 and the Board wanted to have this meeting to know how he proposes to go about the job, the sources added. The former South African batsman has already met members of the Indian team at Perth during the Test series Down Under as a consultant. He has taken over the reins from former Australian captain Greg Chappell who quit his post after the debacle in the World Cup in March last year.

Kirsten checks in! LINK Kirsten checks in Author: Sanjjeev K Samyal & Avinash Iyer Date: 26 Feb 2008 India’s third foreign coach tells MiD DAY why he can’t wait to kick off his official stint against his countrymen next month. INDIA’S new coach Gary Kirsten will officially take charge from next month. The Test series against South Africa will be his first assignment. But before that, he is in the city to meet Board officials to iron out his formalities. Kirsten will fly back tonight and return next month. Looking leaner and fitter, he took time out for an exclusive interview with MiD DAY at the Cricket Club of India. Excerpts: You joined the team at a difficult time after the Sydney Test and it was a dream start for you?It was great to be part of a set-up where the guys are determined to do something. I certainly enjoyed being with the team and got to know them by spending time with them. Hopefully, that’s a start of good things to come. How do you look at the Perth Test win? It was your first assignment as coach and coming through in the way that India did… Great achievement! But India is a good side — let’s not forget that. I am sure they would be expecting to win games. In Adelaide, they were disappointed that they could not win the series or at least level it. Obviously, the things that went on in the Sydney Test motivated them to do something. They just proved they could play very good cricket in foreign conditions. It was a great stepping stone for them. Do you feel more relaxed coming to India after the results in Australia? It’s certainly a bit nerve-wracking when you take on a new job. The three weeks I spent in Australia were invaluable. I feel I am ready to get involved in the set-up and can certainly add value wherever I can. How do you analyse the team in your brief interaction? I have always said that it’s a great team. India has an experienced batting side at Test level and exciting ODI players that are coming through. Experience is what you need at Test level. It’s a battle of attrition. It’s uncompromising out there and you need guys who know what they are doing. Then, we have some exciting young bowlers. If we can go through six or seven months without too many injuries, this side can be a handful. It’s a competitive outfit with two experiences spinners. In Mahendra Singh Dhoni, you have an exceptional leader at a young age. He is doing a lot of good stuff with the ODI team. Then, there is the experience of someone like Anil Kumble. He is a tremendous asset to any team. The way I have seen this guy work in the three weeks I was in Australia, I would have loved to have him in my side. He is an incredible worker. My job as coach is to make sure that attention to detail is good. We need to do the small things right day-in and day- out. Hopefully, that will lead to performance on the field. I am excited about the future. How do you evaluate India’s performance in the tri-series? I think it has been good and bad. It’s a very exciting team. There’s a bit of youthful exuberance and enthusiasm and sometimes you can come unstuck by that. But, I have been excited by some youngsters coming through. I believe ODI cricket is a lead onto Test cricket at some stage and there are couple of young batsmen I am getting excited about and that’s nice. ‘Expecting big things from Ishant’ Ishant Sharma came through well in the Perth Test. How do you look at his progress? He is a star of the future. For a 19-year-old, he is mentally very strong. Talent-wise, he has got everything for the Test level. Barring injuries, which is something every fast bowler has to watch out for, I am expecting big things from him. You were sitting in the dressing room during Ishant’s unforgettable spell to Ricky Ponting in that Perth Test. Your thoughts?The most important thing was the evening before he did not bowl well and he admitted it. He stood up and accepted that he didn’t bowl well and said: “I will make it up tomorrow.†When someone has got an attitude like that, you’ll take him to war with you. Sachin Tendulkar’s lack of form has been a bit surprising considering he was in brilliant form in the Test matches. What explains it? It’s just this funny game called cricket. Even the best in the world struggle sometimes. And that’s why it’s such a great game. That’s why people like you report on it day in and day out because it’s inconsistent. As a player, the only thing you can do is prepare as efficiently as possible, but there are no guarantees out there. That’s why the best only average 50 or 60. If you could put ‘good form’ in a bottle, package it and sell it, there will be a whole lot of people averaging 100. There is pressure building on Tendulkar in the last 2-3 games to score runs. What do you have to tell his critics? I don’t think anyone needs to be told that he is out of form. He knows it. We have a saying in Africa: ‘Beware, the wounded lion’. The great players of the world always come good somewhere, and when they do, they come good properly. They don’t make just one good score; they make three or four. Hopefully, he is timing it for the (tri-series) final. How was your experience of working with Tendulkar? The most important thing you can learn from Sachin is that he is still learning. That’s invaluable stuff. He still wants to get ideas about batting. The reason he is so unbelievable is his talent and intelligence. He understands what he needs to do. There are fears that IPL would affect Test cricket. I think it’s absolutely great for the game. Test cricket will never die. It has always got its place. It has been there for a long time now. IPL will be very exciting.

From Mid Day: There's no 'I' in Kirsten's team New India coach to implement special language By: Bipin Dani dc5111549.jpg Mind your language:Gary Kirsten India's new South African coach Gary Kirsten is to implement the deprevalent language for the Indian cricket team. "As a sportsman and someone who considers himself a team player, I have always been told that "there is no 'I' in the team," Kirsten told MiD DAY and added that High Performance expert Paddy Upton had prepared this formula for Team India. "One aspect of 'I' and 'we' language worth mentioning is in relation to team results. When a team succeeds, a team member using the word 'I' too liberally risks being labeled arrogant/full of themselves, while one who acknowledges others' contribution in the success by using the word 'we' risks being labeled gracious/humble in success. Conversely, in times of low-performance an overuse of the word 'we' indicates abstention of responsibility, overuse of 'you' indicates blame and of 'I' indicates responsibility and accountability," the former SA opener added. "A great team member is likely to use the word 'we' more liberally than 'I' when talking about success, and will use 'I' more liberally than 'we' when talking about low performance". However, Kirsten is not in favour of having a psychologist for the team at this moment.

New India coach to focus on test cricket India's new coach Gary Kirsten is in favour of the glamour and cash offered by the multi-million dollar Indian Premier League (IPL) although he wants his players to be focused on test cricket. "It (IPL) is having a huge impact as we have seen," Kirsten told reporters after a meeting with Indian board's officials along with Test captain Anil Kumble. "(But) I would like to still see Test cricket as the number one priority." South African Kirsten, 40, officially takes over as national team coach on March 1 on a two-year contract, succeeding Australian Greg Chappell who resigned from the post last March after the team's first-round exit in the 50-over World Cup. "India have 15 Test matches in the next year by the looks of the schedule," said Kirsten, who played over 100 tests and one-day internationals for his country in the 1990s. "Certainly, there seems to be a similar thinking that we'd like to be right up there in terms of a test side," he said. A young team led by one-day captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni emerged as surprise winners of the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in September that led cricket-crazy India to embrace the newest format of the game with enthusiasm. The IPL, featuring many of the world's top players, starts on April 18 with six-figure pay cheques for 44 days of action. "It's a new form of the game that's generating huge amounts of interest, and there is a lot of money involved (in the IPL) and the players are getting remunerated much better than we were in the 90s. They will be happy with that." Kirsten spent a few weeks with the team during the recent Test series in Australia, where India lost a controversial four-match series 2-1. His first full challenge as coach comes against his homeland when South Africa tour India for three tests starting next month. "My motivation is to make the Indian team a highly competitive unit that is very consistent and that can compete for the number one position," he said. India are second in the ICC Test rankings behind Australia.

Change of guard will test India INDIA'S new cricket coach Gary Kirsten believes overseeing a smooth change of guard in the Test team represents the biggest challenge of his two-year tenure. More... February 27, 2008 INDIA'S new cricket coach Gary Kirsten believes overseeing a smooth change of guard in the Test team represents the biggest challenge of his two-year tenure. The former South Africa opening batsman, who succeeds Australian Greg Chappell to one of the world's most demanding coaching jobs, hopes to make the process easier by involving senior players in the planning of their retirements. India have five ageing players in the Test team with only 34-year-old batsman Sachin Tendulkar from that group still playing one-day cricket. "I would like to see a smooth transition that, you know, in 18 months time we might have two new players in the Test side that have come through on a succession planning basis," Kirsten said. "That is something that will have to be managed very carefully, obviously by myself being involved, as with a number of other people including the players themselves. "So there will be a lot of planning around that, a lot of discussions with senior players in terms of when their time is up." Leg-spinner and test captain Anil Kumble is 37 and former captains Saurav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid are both 35. VVS Laxman, who rounds off India's famed middle-order along with Tendulkar, is the youngest at 33. Critics felt Chappell, who quit after the team's first round exit in the one-day World Cup last March, was abrasive in his bid to change the make-up of the team and made players insecure. However, Kirsten, 40, who officially takes over on Saturday, said youngsters will not be rushed into test cricket despite a batch of exciting talent coming through the one-day arena. "At the test level, one must always be careful, because it is a tough and uncompromising environment and you need your experience, maybe more so than one-day cricket," said Kirsten, who played over a 100 tests and one-dayers in the 90s. Kirsten's first challenge as coach comes against his homeland when South Africa tour India for three tests starting next month.

>>>"One aspect of 'I' and 'we' language worth mentioning is in relation to team results. When a team succeeds, a team member using the word 'I' too liberally risks being labeled arrogant/full of themselves, while one who acknowledges others' contribution in the success by using the word 'we' risks being labeled gracious/humble in success. Conversely, in times of low-performance an overuse of the word 'we' indicates abstention of responsibility, overuse of 'you' indicates blame and of 'I' indicates responsibility and accountability," the former SA opener added. "A great team member is likely to use the word 'we' more liberally than 'I' when talking about success, and will use 'I' more liberally than 'we' when talking about low performance". I wonder what dhoni has to say to that.

India's aggression pleases new coach Kirsten India's new cricket coach Gary Kirsten said he was impressed with the team's aggressive attitude despite controversies on their ongoing tour of Australia.

r222591_877841.jpg

"What I like about Indian cricket as a whole now, and especially about the young players, is that they are ready to accept the battle," said the former South African batsman, who officially takes over as coach next month. "I think that's very healthy for the game, whereas in the past they tended to back off. I am excited by some of these younger players coming through with a belief that they are ready to compete with the best." The relations between the Indian and Australian teams suffered yet another blow when opening batsman Matthew Hayden called Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh an "obnoxious weed" on Brisbane radio. Fast-rising teenage Indian fast bowler Ishant Sharma was fined on Sunday after a verbal clash with Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds during a one-day match of the ongoing triangular series, also featuring Sri Lanka. The Indians claimed the youngster was provoked by Symonds and lodged a complaint with match-referee Jeff Crowe about the "provocative" behaviour of the Australians, particularly towards Harbhajan. The bad blood stretches back to the second Test in Sydney in January when Harbhajan was suspended for three matches for racially abusing Symonds, a ban overturned at a subsequent International Cricket Council hearing. Kirsten said he did not believe in sledging, but authorities would have to take a decision on it as the stakes were "high". "There's a lot of gamesmanship, but I think somewhere along the line there will be a high-level policy decision taken. I have experienced various styles of playing the game, but did not believe in sledging," he said. "I don't know what the right way is. I think we must be careful because as far as I know, most teams sledge. We must not think that it's just one country. So I have to be cautious about singling out any particular team." New Allan Border Medallist Brett Lee admitted he was disappointed by the continuing ill will between Australia and India. Lee, who has a close affinity with India and has a small part in an upcoming Bollywood film, said he hoped the teams could put the controversies behind them and concentrate on their cricket when the tri-series finals start on Sunday. "It's a bit of a shame a few things have happened on the cricket field, people know where the line in the sand is and if you cross that line well you know you will get dealt with," Lee said. "The thing we have to acknowledge too is that once you do walk onto the cricket field and go over that line it doesn't matter whose made friendships, it's very important we go out there and play the hardest, toughest, fairest cricket we possibly can."

IPL hurdle for India coaching staff The Indian board might have let its best cricketers join the Indian Premier League but is having second thoughts about allowing members of the supports staff doing the same, Cricinfo has learnt. More... BCCI to decide on possible conflict of interest IPL hurdle for India coaching staff? Siddhartha Vaidyanathan February 28, 2008 318133.jpg Will Robin Singh continue as India's fielding coach now that he is part of one of the IPL sides? © Getty Images The Indian board might have let its best cricketers join the Indian Premier League but is having second thoughts about allowing members of the support staff doing the same, Cricinfo has learnt. The BCCI is mulling over whether to continue with Robin Singh, the fielding coach, after his decision to sign up as the coach of the Hyderabad franchise in the IPL. "There might be a conflict of interest later on," a source in the board told Cricinfo, "and we want our coaches to be wholly dedicated to the national side." Venkatesh Prasad, the bowling coach, has also been linked to the Bangalore Royal Challengers. Though his future with the national side is more certain - having done a sterling job with the fast bowlers in the last few months - a full-time tie-up with the IPL could have an adverse effect. "A decision is likely to be taken in a week or ten days," the source added. "We need to consider future possibilities - what if Hyderabad want Robin Singh when India are playing a series? It's ok if coaches have a consulting role in the IPL but to be full-time with a team may be a problem. We need to discuss. Nothing is finalised yet." Both Prasad and Robin have contracts running till May. The pair began working with the side during the Bangladesh tour last year, post the World Cup debacle, and the players have spoken highly of the duo's inputs and their influence in their improvement. Prasad has seen the likes of RP Singh and Ishant Sharma take the step from being average bowlers to exceptional ones and offered tips on how to control swing and speed. Robin has worked hard on the close-in catching, a department where India have improved in Tests, and diving, a technique which several of the ODI players are now mastering. Meanwhile it's almost certain that Lalchand Rajput, currently the coach of the side, will not be persisted with. Rajput's term ends at the end of the Australia series and will make way for Gary Kirsten, who is taking over from March 1. Rajput is one of the contenders to coach the Mumbai franchise in the IPL. Kirsten has already expressed his interest to bring Paddy Upton, the mental conditioning coach and trainer, on board. He has also recommended a few names for the physios job. He has also said that the IPL is a great opportunity for international cricketers, but added that he has no interest "for now" on being part of the Twenty20 tournament starting April 18 as he is focused on the new assignment with the Indian team. "The IPL is unique because it brings in a new kind of supporter to cricket. It also adds a new dimension to the game. I think it's great," Kirsten told Cricinfo. "But I am clear that it's not for me. Certainly, not now. My focus right now is on getting my plans in place for the Indian team."

Upton set to join support staff Paddy Upton, the South African mental-conditioning coach, is almost certain to join the Indian team support staff, it's learnt. Gary Kirsten, India's new coach, was keen to have Upton on board and he is likely to double up as a trainer as well. More... Mental conditioning coach for India Upton set to join support staff Cricinfo staff March 3, 2008 331045.jpg Gary Kirsten: all set to work with his former school-mate and close friend, Paddy Upton © Getty Images Paddy Upton, the South African mental-conditioning coach, is almost certain to join the Indian team support staff. Gary Kirsten, India's new coach, was keen to have Upton on board and he is likely to double up as a trainer as well. "We just need to sort out the terms and conditions," a BCCI official told Cricinfo. "But he is likely to be appointed in the next few days. Only the formalities remain." Upton has accepted the amendments which the board made to his proposal. What's left now is for the board to send him the final copy of the agreement. Upton, currently a mental conditioning coach at Kirsten's academy in Cape Town, was South Africa's bio-kineticist and fitness trainer in the mid to late 90's. He was also a fitness trainer with the South African cricket team from 1994-98 and also worked with the Western Province Rugby team. He then quit to concentrate on the psychological side of the game and became a mental conditioning coach. Although India did not have a full-time mental conditioning coach in the past, the two previous foreign coaches - John Wright and Greg Chappell - had sought services of specialist sports psychologists for brief stints during their tenure. While Wright had turned to eminent Australian sports psychologist Sandy Gordon to have interactions with the players, Chappell had relied on West Indian Rudy Webster to motivate the players.

When Kirsten's appointment was first announced, I felt like it was a really good move. Fast forward to today, and I am a little wary. I feel like this team is in a special zone and the chemistry is great; am not sure if Rajput has a role in establishing this culture. Will Kirsten's (or any new coach's) presence rock the boat a little? All it takes to throw things off-balance is a little ripple. I hope I am wrong.