BCCI plans to extend Kirsten stay

DesiChap

Gary Kirsten to focus on Test team (not sure if headline is right, but this is the article headline) New India coach Gary Kirsten wants to focus on developing a pool of talented young Test players when he takes over the post next month. The former South Africa batsman has been involved in an advisory role with the India team during their ongoing tour of Australia, with his tenure set to officially begin on March 1. He told the Asian Age: "At the Test level one must always be careful. Test cricket is an uncompromising environment and we need experience at that level, maybe more so, than in one-day cricket." He added: "I would like to see a smooth flow of players going into Test in time. It is going to be a tough transition." Kirsten believes he is starting on a good note after the team put up a good show in the Test series against Australia with Anil Kumble as captain. He said: "Kumble has proved his worth and has tremendous leadership qualities. He has done a tremendous job as captain. The team is looking good which is good for the future."

Upton plans for India stint but not revealing secrets Paddy Upton, India's mental conditioning coach, will arrive in Bangalore on March 21 for talks with Gary Kirsten and Anil Kumble before heading for the four-day Chennai camp with the Indian players starting from March 20. More... South Africa in India 2007-08 Upton plans for India stint but not revealing secrets Sriram Veera March 11, 2008 340779.jpgPaddy Upton: "I have a contract in place with each person I work with. I have confidentially clauses in each contract." © Getty Images India's mental conditioning coach Paddy Upton will arrive on March 21 and join the Indian players in Chennai, where he will hold talks with India coach Gary Kirsten and captain Anil Kumble. "I am yet to sign a formal contract but the BCCI says the process will be completed over the next two weeks," Upton told Cricinfo. Upton also sought to ease South Africa coach Mickey Arthur's worries that he might leak "inside knowledge on the key South African players", with whom he has worked in the past. "I will ensure my professional credibility is maintained at the highest level," Upton said. "I will not reveal anything personal. I have a contract in place with each person I work with and each has confidentiality clauses. So Mickey doesn't need to worry at all. "But I will be giving my full offering to Indian cricket; that is what is important. I know as much about the South African players as Kirsten. We will be competing against South Africa and we will strategise and offer our best to Indian cricket." Asked whether he would explore the mental weaknesses of Jacques Kallis and Ashwell Prince, with whom he has worked, Upton's reply was succinct: " I would have already turned the mental weakness into a strength. It won't be a weakness anymore. "In three years time, I might be working with some other national team and my obligations to Indian cricketers would be the same. I would not reveal anything personal." Upton has been busy planning ahead of his Indian visit. "I am focusing on what I want to accomplish with Gary. Evolve, initially, a six-month plan and then take it from there."

I am not happy with his arrival. We are doing so well with india coaches and relaxed backroom staff. Hope his arrival does not have a chappell like effect.
no...no...no... GC was a one piece model... None can be a replica of GC... So, hope for the best that GK will be a modified version of John Wright.:icflove::icflove::icflove:

No Robin in Gary’s team It has been learnt that the new coach Gary Kirsten feels that a fielding coach is not required for the Test matches, reports Amol Karhadkar. More... No Robin Singh in Gary’s team Amol Karhadkar, Hindustan Times Mumbai, March 19, 2008 First Published: 00:15 IST(19/3/2008) Last Updated: 03:07 IST(19/3/2008) With the veterans returning to the squad for the Test series against South Africa, which will start in Chennai on March 26, the high fielding standards that the Indian team set in the recently concluded tri-series in Australia are likely to slide. Yet, fielding coach Robin Singh will most probably not be there to work with the ageing bodies. The Hindustan Times learnt on Tuesday that Robin’s services “will not be required” for the three-Test series. And the decision has been taken at the instance of new coach Gary Kirsten. It was learnt that Kirsten, whose first assignment as coach of the team will be the Test series against his home team, felt that a fielding coach was not required for the Test matches. As a result, Robin, who recently took over as the coach of the Hyderabad-based team to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), will not join the squad in Chennai. Robin and bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad got involved in a dispute with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) when they signed deals to coach the Hyderabad and Bangalore teams, respectively, in the IPL. However, the decision to not have Robin on board had “nothing to do with his association with IPL” and was purely based on Kirsten’s wish, it was learnt. Former India teammates Robin and Prasad became associated with the senior national team as coaches together, after the World Cup debacle. The first assignment of the two was to Bangladesh where Ravi Shastri was the cricket manager. Robin, in fact, is yet to be intimated about the decision. A source close to him said he was “hoping to be with the team even for Tests.” It was also learnt that a formal decision will be announced by Thursday.

Paul Close appointed as physio Team India has found John Gloster's replacement, albeit a temporary one. More... Paul Close appointed as physio March 19, 2008 16:30 IST Team India has found John Gloster's replacement, albeit a temporary one. Paul Close, the physio at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore and an integral part of director Dav Whatmore's support staff, will serve as the physio of the Indian cricket team during the upcoming home series against South Africa. The New Zealander, who has previously worked in the same position with the Bangladesh national side (when Whatmore was their coach) will be a part of the Indian team for the three Tests in Chennai, Ahmedabad and Kanpur respectively. The appointment is strictly for the said tour. NCA officials confirmed that they have received a BCCI directive to release Close for the upcoming series. Gloster resigned from the post after the Australian tour.

Prasad, Robin retained; Rajput axed Venkatesh Prasad and Robin Singh have been retained Team India's bowling and field coaches respectively for the Test series against South Africa. With Gary Kirsten taking over as full-time coach, assistant coach Lalchand Rajput, however, got no such favour and had to go. More... Prasad, Robin retained; Rajput axed March 19, 2008 20:53 IST Contrary to speculation, the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Wednesday decided to retain fielding coach Robin Singh and bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad for the Test series against South Africa, commencing on March 26 in Chennai. With Gary Kirsten taking over as full-time coach, assistant coach Lalchand Rajput, however, got no such favour and had to go. BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said both Prasad and Robin, who toured Australia with the Indian team, have been retained for the time being and a decision regarding their future with the side will be taken after the end of the series. "As of now we have retained both Robin Singh and (Venkatesh) Prasad till the series ends. Decision regarding extending their tenure with the team would be taken later," said Shah. He, however, added that Rajput will not have any role to play in the Tests against the South Africa. "Since Kirsten is now the new coach of the Indian team, I don't think he is needed," added Shah. Prasad was recently named coach of the Bangalore team for the Indian Premier League (IPL) while Robin took over the coaching reins of the Hyderabad side, triggering speculation about their association with the Indian team. Though both stay for the series against South Africa, Shah dismissed a dual role for the duo in future. "I don't think that they can perform a dual role. If they are employed by an organisation, unless they get a go-ahead (from the franchise), they just cannot do that," he said. He also announced that Paddy Upton will join the squad as physical and mental conditioning coach, while Paul Close will come on board as the new physiotherapist for the series. A new full-time physiotherapist will be appointed by the end of next month. The team's support staff: Physical and mental conditioning coach & Strategic Leadership Coach: Paddy Upton. Physiotherapist: Paul Close Bowling coach: Venkatesh Prasad Fielding coach: Robin Singh Travel assistant: Russell Radhakrishnan Masseur: Ramesh Mane.

The team's support staff: Physical and mental conditioning coach & Strategic Leadership Coach: Paddy Upton. Physiotherapist: Paul Close Bowling coach: Venkatesh Prasad Fielding coach: Robin Singh Travel assistant: Russell Radhakrishnan Masseur: Ramesh Mane.
Good job retaining a bowling coach and fielding coach.
Physical and mental conditioning coach & Strategic Leadership Coach: Paddy Upton.
:haha: Are we prepping for war or something ? Thats the longest job designation I have ever heard in my life. Imagine Paddy introducing himself to the players - " Hey Hi, I am Paddy Upton and I am your Physical and mental............*half an hour later*............ and strategic leadership coach". Player : So, whats your job ? Paddy : Well, I coach on physical and mental toughness and teach strategic leadership :D

Gary Kirsten in....Lal chand Rajput out!! Do you guys feel that the assistant coach needed to be dropped like a hot brick? your views plz. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/robin-prasad-retained-rajput-to-go/30416-13.html Mumbai: The Cricket Board on Thursday decided to retain fielding coach Robin Singh and bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad for India's Test series against South Africa commencing from March 26 in Chennai. Assistance coach Lalchand Rajput, however, got no such favour and is set to go. BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said both Prasad and Robin, who toured Australia with the Indian team, would be retained and a decision regarding their future with the side would be taken after the end of the series. “As of now, we have retained both Robin Singh and (Venkatesh) Prasad till the series ends. Decision regarding extending their tenure with the team would be taken later," said Shah. He, however, added that Rajput would not have any role to play in the Tests against the South Africa. "Since (Gary) Kirsten is now the new coach of the Indian team, I don't think he is needed," added Shah. Incidentally, Prasad recently was named coach of the Bangalore team of the Indian Premier League (IPL) while Robin took over the coaching reins of the Hyderabad side. Though both had been retained for the time being, Shah made it clear that they would not be allowed to perform dual role. "I don't think that they can perform a dual role. If they are employed by an organisation, unless they get a go-ahead (from the franchisee), they just cannot," he said.