Rohit Sharma added to first Test squad between India and SA

Feed

Is Rohit really included the squad and available for selection or he is just there as a standby? I have doubts after reading this report in The Hindu.

Rohit asked to stay back NAGPUR: Rohit Sharma, who captained the Board President’s XI in the warm-up match against South Africa here on Monday and Tuesday, has apparently been asked to stay back as cover for V.V.S. Laxman for the first Test. Laxman injured his hand during the first Test in Bangladesh and subsequently missed the second Test. Although Laxman batted during India’s training session here at the VCA Stadium (Jamtha) on Thursday morning, he didn’t participate in the slip-catching routine. Although the BCCI didn’t officially confirm the call-up, Rohit took full part in India’s practice session, which was conducted in two batches, on Thursday morning.
The Cricinfo report mentioned that he is part of the squad without quoting any source.

Even GG struggled lot in his early days. He is now the most consistent batsman. I definitely see potential in Rohit. He will be successful. Once he will start to score, you all will realize that. As for Raina... please guys get your facts right. He shouldn't be in the test team at all. kohli, may be.

I like ur analysis.......all the technicalities have been considererd.....but there are 2 important names missing in that list....first is shikar Dhawan......who is very talented and looks compact against both pace and spin and other name is Dinesh Karthick....who got 2 150+ scores in the duleep trophy finals..... and also tiwary of bengal??
Shikhar Dhawan : Opener! And I suppose we are discussing the middle order prospects here. Karthik : He is a brilliant batsman but has disappointed at the recent international outings. All your brilliance counts for nothing if you can't put it to use when the opportunity arrives. Had he slammed a ton with Sachin in the 1st test at BD, selectors would have retained him in squad and perhaps wouldn't have needed to call back a 7th batsman!Instead he got out for a duck! Bangladesh attack was nothing but average and Karthik should have been relaxed there to score some easy runs, like he is doing against WZ. The attack wasn't vastly superior to what he is facing right now.

Rohit Sharma is another Yuvraj. All flash and no application and least suited to play any kind of test cricket. At least Yuvraj and Raina succeed on flat tracks in ODIs and T20s. Sharma does not even do that. The timing of the SA vs BPXI sucked big time as it was played at the same time as the SZ vs WZ final. It means the cream of both sides had to play the tour game. The fact that our best spinner is a clueless forever struggling Bhajji now is also bad news. After Kumble's retirement he has been ordinary and undeserving of our main spinner role. Even in is gory days of partnering Kumble, he had more success rate in the third or fourth innings when visiting teams batted last on a crumbling wicket while Kumble did better in the first or second innings while the wicket was still better for batters and pace bowlers. He needs a good kick up his backside along with fat and unfit Yuvraj.....

I like ur analysis.......all the technicalities have been considererd.....but there are 2 important names missing in that list....first is shikar Dhawan......who is very talented and looks compact against both pace and spin and other name is Dinesh Karthick....who got 2 150+ scores in the duleep trophy finals..... and also tiwary of bengal??
Rayudu is supposed to be good too - Laxman rates him highly..I don't know about his stats though...